Parents can’t watch video classes but.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Nope, more on a par with police, fire fighters, EMTs

The good ones need to be paid more, the bad ones need to be weeded out and neither they nor any government employee should consider themselves to be tasked with raising our children or feel they should substitute their personal philosophies for those of the parents

Those professions are never spoken in general with derision here on INGO. If there's any criticism it's directed to an individual, or small group (e.g. Broward County S.O.).
    Teaching is often the opposite - schools are bad, select teachers are good.

The public school system seems to have a lot weeds to be pulled, but there's little incentive to do so. In fact, there's a good incentive to avoid it, aka the teachers' union.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think it has less to do with domineering, and more of compassion.

When a kid's parent ignores them, won't care for them (including feeding), abuses them, etc., etc. ...

Ditto. My wife had a similar trajectory, albeit with shorter times.

For INGO, teachers seem to be on par with lawyers, politicians and used car salesmen in terms of reputation.

Two different subjects.
    Abusive parents vs. trying to politically indoctrinate.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Some teachers have come to think of themselves as the "parent".
    Just as many in the government have come to think of themselves as the "parent" of society.

This is true. Many in government seem to thing govern =control, they are not the same.

Likewise I think a lot of people look to be ruled, instead of having to make decisions on there own.

People in general need to learn to stay in there lane.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Right. So maybe when a teacher acts like a parent in someone eyes, then maybe their not trying to indoctrinate them with Marxism, and there might be another reason?

And when a teacher "forbids" parents from auditing their child's online class session? Which one does that serve?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And when a teacher "forbids" parents from auditing their child's online class session? Which one does that serve?

:yesway:

There are teachers buying things for kids that don't have anything, and looking for bruises.
    And there are teachers that think the teacher has the right to decide what the kid learns, and that the parent does NOT.

A teacher can be in either group, or in both.
    But being in one, does not mean they ARE in both.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Those professions are never spoken in general with derision here on INGO. If there's any criticism it's directed to an individual, or small group (e.g. Broward County S.O.).
    Teaching is often the opposite - schools are bad, select teachers are good.

The public school system seems to have a lot weeds to be pulled, but there's little incentive to do so. In fact, there's a good incentive to avoid it, aka the teachers' union.

I suspect doing a Reagan v PATCO on the NEA and/or AFSCME would go a long way toward ameliorating public opinion. I suspect too often people forget a school district might be a union shop and that the policies of the union are not necessarily the predilections of its members

Edit: It occurs to me that, at a time when teachers could strike and we might hardly notice, we might be in a happy time for union busting. Silver lining

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The extreme special needs class my wife teaches is online only Monday and Wednesday. In person Tuesday, Thursday, online and Prep day for Friday. Yesterday on Monday the parents dropped off a student then didn’t answer their phone all day. Online days she’s by herself because no Para’s are needed.

She figured it out and took care of it. I understand that things are chaotic with all the changes and getting days mixed up but how do both parents drop their child off at school then not answer their phones all day? I’ll give them the pass that they were working but what about emergency situations?

Ever since I became a father I have always been accessible for my kids, even with them being grown.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The extreme special needs class my wife teaches is online only Monday and Wednesday. In person Tuesday, Thursday, online and Prep day for Friday. Yesterday on Monday the parents dropped off a student then didn’t answer their phone all day. Online days she’s by herself because no Para’s are needed.

She figured it out and took care of it. I understand that things are chaotic with all the changes and getting days mixed up but how do both parents drop their child off at school then not answer their phones all day? I’ll give them the pass that they were working but what about emergency situations?

Ever since I became a father I have always been accessible for my kids, even with them being grown.

I don't know their situation.
    And I'm not a parent.
    But I work in many areas with no reception.
    And sometimes people that attend meetings (not me. People) have to silence the phone.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I don't know their situation.
    And I'm not a parent.
    But I work in many areas with no reception.
    And sometimes people that attend meetings (not me. People) have to silence the phone.

I completely agree. I’m on planes or in meeting with customers for several hours but we’re talking about a 7 hour stretch that neither of the parents would respond. I just think it could possibly be situations like this that give some teachers the idea that they need to parent instead of teach. We know if a few like this and it’s not a good thing. In fact one that even refers to herself as Momma (Last name). I’m not posting her last name to protect her privacy.

Top Bottom