Opportunities to shoot outdoors (I’m in Avon, new to Indiana)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wirednot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2022
    Avon
    Here’s what I think I know, being new to the state and living in Avon: for indoor shooting, Parabellum is close to me and I hope to start going there regularly after the start of the new year for handgun staying in practice. I see links like this https://www.in.gov/dnr/fish-and-wildlife/properties/dnr-shooting-ranges/ and read that you can shoot in Hoosier national forest, etc. Nothing really seems close to where I am for outdoor casual shooting. Are there any clubs I’m just not aware of on the west side of Indy?

Where I moved from, the gun laws suck but I was fortunate to know people who had land and who let me plink at will, and there were also a handful of easy going gun clubs close by. Here, at least so far, I’m loving the gun laws but not seeing where to take a .22 rifle and just plink. Unfortunately I’m at that part of life where meeting people in a new place isn’t all that easy, especially people who could become friends that have land or know where you can do this stuff.

Grateful for any perspective, except the “tough crap, go buy your own land” nonsense. I’ve actually heard that trying to engage in other forums.

Wirednot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2022
    Avon
    Danville has the conservation club. I never looked into it as it is a slow fire range (I tend to do double taps when drilling). Not far from Avon. Brownsburg also has a conservation club.
    Thank, I read that Brownsburg is trap shooting only, but will see what I can dig up on Danville.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    There’s also the Crawfordsville gun club:

Wirednot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2022
    Avon
    There’s also the Crawfordsville gun club:

Thanks for that!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Two good reference threads

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Its a bit of a drive, but worth the trip for the cost. Its in Brazil, IN.

The owners also do open house days for INGO a time or two a year to let folks get a taste of the range. Keep your eyes open here for future events if you want to give them a test drive.

Looks nice. Anyone know if they will be having another demo day soon? Kind of far for me but if its nice, I would drop $100 on a membership.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Marion County Fish and Game is nearby. They don’t allow centerfire rifle there but you can shoot 22 out to 100 yards. Many here are members (including me) and you can shoot year round for less than 150 bucks a year.

www.indyrange.net
    Another recommendation for MCF&G

Great club, close to your area, priced right. As stated no centerfire rifle, but rimfire and pistol calibers, etc allowed. They have a couple of bays with steel as well as the main range.

Wirednot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2022
    Avon

Great club, close to your area, priced right. As stated no centerfire rifle, but rimfire and pistol calibers, etc allowed. They have a couple of bays with steel as well as the main range.
    Thanks much for the input.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I'll put my 2 cents on this one. They tend to be safety Nazis. No exaggeration/hyperbole. To the point of ridiculousness.

Case 1: Years ago I showed up to my very first match OCing my 1911 EDC. During the pre-shoot briefing in the clubhouse one of the officials saw me standing at the back cocked and locked, interrupted the meeting, YELLED at me like I was waving the gun over my head (Bear in mind, its holstered and my arms were crossed, so perfectly safe) and just short of frog marched me out to the firing line to empty it before the shooters brief could continue. What an a-hole. Talk about overreacting. Havent been back since. For context, all other matches Ive been to they say "if you happened to show up hot today, let a RO know as soon as we are done and they will take you to the line to unload". MUUUUUCH more reasonable.

Case 2: I know someone else who was chastised for not keeping his muzzle downrange "at all times". He dared to walk uprange with the slide locked back and mag removed and pointed at the ground.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'll put my 2 cents on this one. They tend to be safety Nazis. No exaggeration/hyperbole. To the point of ridiculousness.

Case 1: Years ago I showed up to my very first match OCing my 1911 EDC. During the pre-shoot briefing in the clubhouse one of the officials saw me standing at the back cocked and locked, interrupted the meeting, YELLED at me like I was waving the gun over my head (Bear in mind, its holstered and my arms were crossed, so perfectly safe) and just short of frog marched me out to the firing line to empty it before the shooters brief could continue. What an a-hole. Talk about overreacting. Havent been back since. For context, all other matches Ive been to they say "if you happened to show up hot today, let a RO know as soon as we are done and they will take you to the line to unload". MUUUUUCH more reasonable.

Case 2: I know someone else who was chastised for not keeping his muzzle downrange "at all times". He dared to walk uprange with the slide locked back and mag removed and pointed at the ground.
    Been a member for years and never experienced anything like this, though of course it can happen. I believe I heard that either a member who thought he was an RO and was aggressive (or maybe he was a board member not sure) was asked to leave at one point, but can't confirm.

I've never had any issues shooting at the range or in the bays, though I mostly shoot in the bays and avoid times when there is any sort of crowd. Actually I rarely have seen anyone else, when I'm there.

That said, I don't shoot matches. I know there are pretty specific rules during matches.

From my perspective, especially for the cost their facility is great, and private which is nice.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom