Anyone a member and/or frequent visitor of Proteq in Brazil? I want to join but I have some questions

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    So, I'm mostly interested in their long range rifle range since I don't have that luxury where I live. I tried to do my due diligence and based on their website (which looks like it belongs in the early 2000's) it looks like whoever runs it may be a bit... combative? Hostile? Not sure of the right word but it's kinda giving me an angry boomer vibe and I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. $160 per year for the full plan isn't bad but I dont want to end up wasting it if its run by Fudds.

I understand sometimes these range owners can run into some really stupid and dangerous people which can get old but I just wanted to hear from people that actually use the range.

Also, how busy it it typically? I'd probably be going on the weekends but also through the winter so maybe not so bad?

I also saw that there is a special test for the long range area and I'm wondering what that entails? Farthest I've ever shot at was 300 yards at a 100% IPSC target and I did ok but I'm afraid I won't qualify due to their requirements (due to a lack of practice which I am trying to get....)

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I've been to a class at ProTeq when they hosted a USPSA RO class and the folks who own it seem like great people to me. It's probably very hard to keep a private range safe and operating.

I would suggest calling them and seeing if you can get a tour and/or get your questions answered directly.

@Xterminator lives in the area and shoots there I believe. He shoots steel and USPSA I believe.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive been a member for years. You are hearing the owner Don's character come out on the website. He's a great guy. But a no nonsense, pulls no punches older fellow that suffers no fools. He and his son Stephen are great folks that I would have no hesitation either helping them out if they needed, nor inviting them over to my home to break bread.

Its an awesome facility with great people. And probably one of the best bargains in the state.

And as to fools they are why you get that vibe. Apparently there are quite a few fools that shoot there. (though I have never personally witnessed any asshattery like I have on public ranges) Incidents like idiots tearing up a 2x4 target stand by blowing the hell out of the wood by repeatedly shooting it on purpose with buckshot, Not keeping rounds low enough to be safe on other targets, or doing hundreds of dollars in damage to full size steel pistol targets by shooting them with an AR. :facepalm: :xmad:

Im actually getting ready to re-up my membership. Its worth every penny. :rockwoot:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    We are members and drive there from the south side of Indy regularly. We don't shoot "long range" but usually shoot rifles at 100 yards then hit the steel valley with pistols and a 10/22.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    They are about 45 miles away for me but have been thinking about looking into this place so glad to see this thread. Reading the rules does come off as a bit harsh but not unreasonable considering there are idiots in this world. I was a member of a private club when I lived in Illinois but now I don't like going to Illinois for anything especially firearm related. That club also has new officers and is going through changes like most clubs do at times and I am not interested in being there.
    The "standard" membership looks good for me and is priced right but a couple questions stand out. The skills I want to practice would be in the realm of shooting IDPA. So drawing from the holster and shooting fast follow up shots at targets, some ranges do not allow this. The rules as I am reading them makes this appear to be a "lost brass" type of range. I shoot a moon clipped revolver so I don't pick up brass at a "lost brass" match, I just pick up the moon clip and the brass comes along with it. I do shoot some semi-autos so looks like that has to stay there. Jim.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It is not a lost brass range. You are responsible for cleaning up after yourself and pick up all of your brass.

You just can’t raid the 5 gallon buckets of empties others have chosen not to keep.

And for idpa type stuff you will want premium. The south valley has more room for stuff like multiple targets.

Top Bottom