• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Here is a curve ball suggestion, Christenson Arms makes a badass AR, my father has the VTAC rifle it's covered in carbon fiber and only weighs 5.5 pounds or so with a red dot

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The ignorance shown by the modern afficiandos about what makes a premium AR is truly astounding. I recently scored for the Marine Reserve team at the NRA Nationals. Every single Marine was using Rock River rifles. With Wilson barrels. And the course of fire in a high power match goes out to 600 yards. And those guys shot plenty of X's at 600.

Are you aware that at one time, the CMP was selling RRA NM rifles?

I intended no purple in my other post. The RRA rifle in all of its variations is a very good rifle made by craftsmen. Many people are not swayed by slick marketing of the so-called premium rifle marketers. As far as the lower, it can be made of plastic and it has absolutely no effect on anything. It can be stamped with anyones logo because there is no real difference between any of them.

It really is no skin off my nose if you choose to spend twice or more than you need to on a rifle. RRA is not in danger of going out of business..

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The ignorance shown by the modern afficiandos about what makes a premium AR is truly astounding. I recently scored for the Marine Reserve team at the NRA Nationals. Every single Marine was using Rock River rifles. With Wilson barrels. And the course of fire in a high power match goes out to 600 yards. And those guys shot plenty of X's at 600.

Are you aware that at one time, the CMP was selling RRA NM rifles?

I intended no purple in my other post. The RRA rifle in all of its variations is a very good rifle made by craftsmen. Many people are not swayed by slick marketing of the so-called premium rifle marketers. As far as the lower, it can be made of plastic and it has absolutely no effect on anything. It can be stamped with anyones logo because there is no real difference between any of them.

It really is no skin off my nose if you choose to spend twice or more than you need to on a rifle. RRA is not in danger of going out of business..
    Internet commando, I may be, but in my previous life, the .gov paid me to keep these very sameish rifles going. You are comparing apples to oranges. A NATIONAL MATCH rifle has very little in common with an actual issued rifle/carbine. RRA hand selected EVERY part, and every single Marine shooting those matches had the benefit of a Marine 2111 or 2112 hand selecting and building those same rifles, just as the AMU had 45B’s hand selecting, and fitting parts to the company MATCH rifles. So your implication of ignorance, goes both ways. Are we talking about NM rifles, or front line go to war TYPE rifles? Huge difference! As far as the latter, RRA had a few .gov contracts, mostly DEA, but purchasing was slowed or stopped because of QC/QA issues. Undersized carrier key bolts, that even when “staked” didn’t meet spec? Espouse all you’d like about working the pits, hell, I volunteered to do that because it was cool as hell(actually, it was the coolest place at Perry) but, hand selected NM rifles and general issue are WORLDS apart. RRA has NEVER, and I posit, WILL NEVER, be considered a top tier rifle.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    No mention of Warsport or Battle Arms Development?
    I don't own either, and would never spend that kind of cash on an AR.

Given the OP's choices, I would go with LMT or DD

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If knights Armament is in your budget for an AR then buy that and look no further. They have Quality entry level AR's on up to $7k plus ones

Otherwise, LMT, BCM, LWRC, DD, barrett

If you are around indy I have all of the above brands and you are welcome to try any or all of them out.
    Also an honorable mention if I may, although I no longer have one but I have owned 2 in the past is POF. I am very impressed with them and they do not get the mention or respect they deserve.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Noveske
    JP
    DD
    LMT
    BCM
    or crazy custom from long time builder

(I'd have a hard time picking between these -- I guess the overall purpose of the rifle would influence my choices as well)

I was wondering if Noveske would make the list.
    I've got the Recce Light rifle and it's extremely fast and smooth as silk. Recoil transfers straight back and is minimal.
    I love my older Colt M4 Carbines but for ****s and giggles I'll take the Noveske hands down. They're about 3 times as much as a 6920 though these days.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As I stated upthread I'm a big fan of LMT but I have a difficult time trashing RRA. Way back around 2004 we purchased a small handful of their 10.5" full auto guns and I was issued one of them. I abused that poor little rifle to no end and could not get it to puke (3k+ rounds without cleaning, only lube). I'm fully aware of the differences between RRA rifles and milspec and if I had to choose one to take to war it wouldn't be a RRA but they don't make garbage either.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I don't think Sloughfoot cares if anyone buys a super high end AR or not. I've seen him shoot one hole groups with old battle rifles. I'm sure he's hinting that you don't need to spend $2k+ to get the same results.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    As I stated upthread I'm a big fan of LMT but I have a difficult time trashing RRA. Way back around 2004 we purchased a small handful of their 10.5" full auto guns and I was issued one of them. I abused that poor little rifle to no end and could not get it to puke (3k+ rounds without cleaning, only lube). I'm fully aware of the differences between RRA rifles and milspec and if I had to choose one to take to war it wouldn't be a RRA but they don't make garbage either.
    Yep that's when RRA was awesome. They really put out top notch stuff during the ban era. I have some of their original paper catalogs still. I had money to burn back then and I burnt it on guns and rock river AR's and 1911's were the shizzle!! LOL.
    I have a lot of old original Rock River AR's or LAR15's and if I ever sell those ill lose my ass because AR's back then cost a lot more than now. 2000's dollars vs 2018 dollars dollar for dollar.
    An original DEA rifle, and some others just basic M4 type. But quality.
    Rock River has slipped over the years and arent what they were back then.
    Hell now you can piece together an AR with parts from soooooo many companies. Back then though I think RR was one of the first companies to offer uppers and lowers seperate and the various parts. Hell during the ban some companies wanted to see your tax stamp to even sell you an upper under 16" If I'm remembering right. Times were much different and rock river was leading the way.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The US Army just awarded a contract to Remington for the purchase of rifles/carbines. I have been in the military and have also been a local government employee so I certainly understand the concept of lowest bidder. But even so, purchases still need to meet accuracy and reliability standards.

Milspec is not a hard standard to exceed. Many companies including RRA are very capable of exceeding this spec.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Money is no object.

Which vendor these days sells the best complete premium ARs? I'm typically a BCM fan but their complete rifle offerings seem to be fading away.

True that BCM does not offer many complete AR's. They do offer lowers and numerous uppers to offer about any sort of AR you like with the snap of 2 push pins.

Top Bottom