• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    As great as Glocks are he still needs to find what fits him and what he is comfortable with. Personally I like 9mm as they are fairly inexpensive to shoot and plenty of different ammo for them. Also alot of options out there. Beretta, Glock, Springfield Armory, Sig, Taurus and a whole slew of others. Find the shop with the biggest inventory and start feeling them up.

If he is a revolver fan and that's what he finds that fits him....well, I can't help.

slottech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    N.W. IN
    I'll second the notion of letting him try several to see what fits him and what he can shoot better. I can shoot my S&W Sigma (first gun) as well as any of my Beretta's. But that may not be the case with someone else. He and only he can make that decision. But help & input from others as in letting him try different brands / models is definatly a plus.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Either a Ruger GP100 or SP101 in .357mag...3" version! You just can't beat a Ruger Revolver as an 'all-pupose' gun...hunt, target, and personal defense!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Try to teach him as much as possible, and explain to him how different pistols operate. Then allow him to shoot different types, and let him draw his own conclusions.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Don't make the decision for him, but be able to offer honest advice on the different choices. Every gun has a trade off in some way just as every gun has strengths. But, if a first time shooter were to ask me to recommend one gun, it would be a CZ 75 Compact. In particular, the Armalite version of the CZ 75 that they call an AR-24K.

Why that particular gun? First, it has a safety. Sure, many folks don't like safeties, but for a first time shooter, it's a good thing. The nice thing about the AR-24 safety is it can be used with the hammer up or down. The gun can also eject a live round with the safety on, which is something I cannot do with my CZ 75 Compact. Second, it's on the heavy side, but not heavy enough to be difficult to carry all day. I've carried CZ 75 Compacts all day long and they feel no different than the aluminum frame pistols I own. The upside of that extra bit of weight is that it will help him shoot better. It will also make shooting more enjoyable and the more enjoyable it is, the more it will get shot and the better he will become at shooting. Third, it's accurate. As his skill improves, his groups will continue to improve. He will not outshoot the gun any time soon. Fourth, and this one will vary from person to person, it's extremely comfortable to hold. It points naturally like a Hi-Power or 1911. It just feels good in your hand. Fifth, that bit of extra weight will let him introduce his wife to shooting with a gun that is fun to shoot.

But, choosing a gun is like choosing a spouse. There are lots of choices out there but sooner or later, he'll find what fits him the best. The key is to take as many for a test drive as possible before settling on the one and only.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    For someone who has never owned a gun, I would recommend a class or two. If that needs to be factored into the $500, then look for the gun.

I like the revolver idea for simplicity. :twocents:

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    Make real sure he know to look for solid function and not just cool factor. He mentioned Glock...OK. Ask him why. Not to detract from Glock (personally the 19 would be my pick) but you need to make sure this fella knows why he wants a Glock.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I cast my vote to a 4" 686 as well. If a 686 doesn't fit him well or seems out of balance, I would try to put him on a 66 (4" or 2.5"). The Smith k-frame seems to universally fit everyone like a glove. I admit that I am biased though towards revolvers and specifically S&W revolvers (see avatar):D

Sometimes a revolver just works right. Last weekend I was at a shoot with some friends, and one lady had a Glock 19 she used all day, and struggled with its function and shooting. My wife handed her a model 66 to try and long story short, my buddy and his wife are now shopping for one.

Edit: It will be hard to find a 66 2.5" in the 500 bone range, but several can be found well under that in 4". The 686 might be cutting it close as well on the budget, at least in my neck of the woods.

signut49

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Wherever I want
    Excellent advice. Totally agree. :)

I cast my vote to a 4" 686 as well. If a 686 doesn't fit him well or seems out of balance, I would try to put him on a 66 (4" or 2.5"). The Smith k-frame seems to universally fit everyone like a glove. I admit that I am biased though towards revolvers and specifically S&W revolvers (see avatar):D

Sometimes a revolver just works right. Last weekend I was at a shoot with some friends, and one lady had a Glock 19 she used all day, and struggled with its function and shooting. My wife handed her a model 66 to try and long story short, my buddy and his wife are now shopping for one.

Edit: It will be hard to find a 66 2.5" in the 500 bone range, but several can be found well under that in 4". The 686 might be cutting it close as well on the budget, at least in my neck of the woods.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    4" .357, or a Glock of some description. 1911 would probably not be a good choice for a newbie.

Whatever he picks, do everything in your power to drill the safety rules into his skull.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    my vote is a glock 19 then get a conversion kit when he can afford it. w/ practice there is no tangable difference between a revolver and a semi auto. and the g19 is a fantastic gun to learn on.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    Call me bias, but I love my XD 45 compact.

.45 acp
    4" barrel with sub-compact grip for carry 10+1 rounds
    magazine extension with 13+1 round capability.
    Utterly reliable
    simple to operate, clean, and shoot.

Old pic
    DSC00154.JPG

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Since this might be his one and only pistol. I would have him go to a local range and rent a variety of different pistols. Compare and find out what he likes and what fits him best. Then move on from there.

I would suggest a safety course and a nightstand safe.

If it's just a home defense/target shooter. I would have him take a look at the CZ-75. They are easy to maintain, .22 Conversion available, within price range, grip options and he can upgrade it to a race gun if desired.

Nothing wrong with a 686 but a safety course and some practice will fix any issue with an autoloader being more complicated.

Top Bottom