• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluDeuce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Northern IN
    I have Buddy who finally talked his wife into letting Him get a gun. He wants a hand gun and has never owned a gun! So if you could only have one & you are a greenhorn what would you choose ? Also he has a $500 budget. I think a glock 19 would be my first choice. What would yours be?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I love the G19, but take him to a shop and let him experiment. He may not feel comfortable with a gun without an external safety. He must may like a revolver much better than a semi-auto. It's cool to provide input, but I would suggest letting him make the choice without a great deal of input from you.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I'd go the 1911 route if I could only have one, for about $150 more you can get an STI that will do anything he could want in a first gun. But at the same time if she is gonna shoot with him, I'd get a Ruger MK lll .22 lr.....hard to beat for $300.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have Buddy who finally talked his wife into letting Him get a gun. He wants a hand gun and has never owned a gun! So if you could only have one & you are a greenhorn what would you choose ? Also he has a $500 budget. I think a glock 19 would be my first choice. What would yours be?

What ever gun fits his hands best & he shoots best, pretty should it'll be a 1911:D

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I would say ONE OF 3 different guns.

1 - a good quality 1911, clearly the best SA handgun ever designed
    2 - a CZ75b, clearly the best SA/DA handgun ever designed
    3 - a Glock 19, clearly the best DAO handgun ever designed

In any case, all 3 of the above are available with 22lr conversion barrels/slides and I would strongly recommend your friend buy BOTH the gun and the CONVERSION KIT. The conversion kit will raise the price of the purchase by roughly $300 to $400 but also gives him a cheap practice gun, it also gives him a gun that will NOT intimidate his wife when/if she shoots it. It gives him the ability to learn the gun, learn the trigger, etc while doing it cheaply and without recoil.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I would recommenda great wheelgun like a Ruger GP100. Simple to use, relliable and will last for generations.

BluDeuce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Northern IN
    I'm gonna take him out and let him shoot mine. I have a G27 so he can get the idea of the glock. Then let him shoot my Browning HP 9mm. I'm guessing he wants to carry & home defense.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Smith and Wesson 686 of course! You can shoot 38sp or 357 and it is the best revolver for the $ IMHO. For $500 you can get a prelock 686 that is near new.

If he insists on automatic a Beretta 92FS.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I would vote for the XD or XDM, either 9mm or .40 S&W.

It's a great first gun for several reasons. Very, very easy to field strip and clean. No external safety, but it does have a grip safety. In the dark I can tell you if it's cocked or not. I can also tell you if there's a round chambered just by feel.

It was my first gun and I did a lot of research before my purchase. I've never regretted it.

BluDeuce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Northern IN
    He has mentioned the glock. That's why I figured the 19 would be a great starter. Not sure about the 19 but I know my 27 I can swap the barrel out and make it a 9,40, or 357 Sig. I figured if he wanted more punch down the rd. He could always buy a new barrel for a hundred bucks.

Top Bottom