• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Some other sites I know restrict "rookies" to no more than 5 posts per day for a certain period of time. Call it "probation" if you will...

Some throttling like that might tame these guys a bit.

As long as they can pm, email, call the seller that will do nothing as well.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was here. The site was flooded with tears. It just sucks that folks want to take advantage of a great site just to sell/ buy some guns.
    I wish a better probationary period could be set up to weed out the "salesmen".:rolleyes:

I agree. Our classifieds area is such a strong feature of INGO that it kills me to see people whore it out. In an ideal world, people would just follow the rules, but they don't. They do everything they can to get around them, in fact. Apparently "free" isn't good enough and they feel like they are owed even more.

I'd like to get rid of the post-count requirement completely but I've seen first hand what would happen.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I agree. Our classifieds area is such a strong feature of INGO that it kills me to see people whore it out. In an ideal world, people would just follow the rules, but they don't. They do everything they can to get around them, in fact. Apparently "free" isn't good enough and they feel like they are owed even more.

I'd like to get rid of the post-count requirement completely but I've seen first hand what would happen.

Does this happen on other larger gun sites?

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009

Yup.

reconwayne

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    I dont mean to pee on the parade but why does it matter? If the site is so good wouldnt they stick around? If they are just here to buy the gun then thats it and they are gone..... no posts to clean up. Seems the logical and easy decision would be to just let them go..... If you like a certain restraunts food you stick around and contribute to the atmosphere but if the service sucks you just get carside....

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Does this happen on other larger gun sites?

It would result in a rapid descent into the bowels of the internet just like hoosier topics. :twocents:

I dont mean to pee on the parade but why does it matter?
    If the site is so good wouldnt they stick around?
    If they are just here to buy the gun then thats it and they are gone.......................

That's the rub.
    They care NOTHING for the site or even if it will be here tomorrow.
    They will snatch a good deal out from under the ones that put in the effort and time.
    Think of a leach but without of all the positive benefits.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I dont mean to pee on the parade but why does it matter? If the site is so good wouldnt they stick around? If they are just here to buy the gun then thats it and they are gone..... no posts to clean up. Seems the logical and easy decision would be to just let them go..... If you like a certain restraunts food you stick around and contribute to the atmosphere but if the service sucks you just get carside....

Beacuse the classified section is like a perk for the CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Most could care the hell less if the site is good or not. Their only intent is to whore out the classified section. That's what irritates us.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I really didn't mean to start a whole "thing" here today. And, just so nobody thinks I'm being Holier Than Thou, I'm pretty sure my 10th post was in the classifieds. In fact, I probably was a member for 5 or 6 months before I posted anything remotely meaningful. I don't really care if someone joins to use the classifieds, just have a little sense, a little tact, respect for the site and the members, and some class.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

As I've said, some of us have seen first-hand right here on INGO. Good deals would get sniped up and then you'd never see that person again. Our ads are scraped by sites like riverofguns.com, so people can find a gun without ever seeing any other part of INGO. You already see that with a lot of members. Once they get their 50 posts, they're off to the classifieds and they effectively live there. I wish they'd participate in other areas, but they're not interested.

The whole point of the classifieds was to provide a value-added perk to people who contributed to the site, not as a free alternative to Gunbroker.

reconwayne

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    then why not make it a paid member only feature... that way only the people that care about the forum can access?

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    then why not make it a paid member only feature... that way only the people that care about the forum can access?

Beacuse paying is not the only way someone can contribute. People can post a lot of ideas, reviews on items and it will help out as much as $10.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Fenway has always said that the board will remain free (aside from some inconsquential cosmetic value-adds, like a custom user title or expanded PM space). He doesn't want to restrict core features like a particular forum, the search engine, etc. to only people who have given him money.

And anyway, we draw in a lot of new members because of the classifieds. Many of them continue to participate after getting their 50 posts. Usually what happens is they'll complain in their first two or three posts about the post count limit, and then they'll post their Welcome thread, then they'll post a bunch of "hellos" in other welcome threads or post one-liner junk: "thanks for the info!", "lol", "me too!", etc . When those get deleted, they start looking for other threads to post in. Once they've had a chance to actually join in instead of crapping on the board, they'll frequently (but not always) continue to participate even after posting their ad.

The post-count isn't meant to be a barrier to participation, it's only meant to stop the drive-bys, and in that respect it's reasonably successful.

This is so often discussed that there's a lengthy FAQ entry about it, including three different videos.

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    As someone that is relativly new here I agree with most , when they say that it is a privilege to be able to post here and it, like trust,,, should be earned, not granted. It is sad that the mods must babysit the noobs but, there seem to always be a few a- ho's that mess it up for the many that care. keep up the good work mods and we will continue to TRY to back you in your efforts,,, Oh,, and thank you for doing a thankless job

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

THAT.....
    \/

Beacuse paying is not the only way someone can contribute. People can post a lot of ideas, reviews on items and it will help out as much as $10.

Someone who is not a monetary supporter but is a good contributor
    is still very valuable to the community as a whole.
    That person might suggest something to a member looking for
    help with a particular item that will save them untold amounts of cash.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    This site didn't get to over 8500 members by whoring itself out like other sites would. Fenway, Scutter and the other mods can take personal pride in the fact that with that many contributing members this place could become a large database full of knowledge covering many firearm and other related topics.

I know if I have a question about something I can search for it first then know if I can't find it there someone will have an answer if I post it. I would hate to go to a site with thousands of members only to find no one willing to help out.

All of us on here want this site to be seen in a positive way and most of us tell as many people as we can about this place and wouldn't want it to be thought of as another hoosiertopics. To bad there isn't a way to tie-in posting in the classifieds to the rep system.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It would be much simpler just to ignore them. If you don't want to deal with a 50 post wonder then don't. It's not my life's mission to ferret them out.

hogwild

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don`t post much on here .im here to learn and i do. this is a great site . PS it took me two years to get to fifty lol

Last edited:

reconwayne

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Im up to 19 or so posts but I dont really see them as spectacular.... I stumbled on this site looking around for info on those goofballs up in Michigan. im just curious as to what gets defined as a good posts. I see people posting about some of the dumbest stuff on here. Something about bacon, a firebase and just off the wall random stuff. Heck there was even a post that had a picture of a chair and some incoherent gibberish...

Top Bottom