• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yet, I've never been shot ,or lectured , by a CO. And I've been approached by one, several times, while holding a loaded shotgun or rifle. By the same token, I've been ordered out of my vehicle, and disarmed, by a city police officer, because he saw a pink piece of paper next to my driver's license. Seems like a training, or mind set kind of thing.

Lots of times it's an experience thing. When I was at the academy, they taught disarming everybody with a good saying "You should be the only one with access to a weapon, during non-consensual encounters," and though not stated explicitly we all took it to mean "disarm everybody." When you hit the road alone, you rely hard on that training, because you're at first uncomfortable, and not fully confident in you abilities. As time goes on, you get the understanding that vast majority of legal carriers are good guys. I don't know when I stopped disarming people, but it was fairly quickly after I made that realization.... but, I will freely admit, if my spidey sense went off, and person was carrying, I would disarm them.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    What is the logic here? A civilian is never allowed to touch his gun, for any reason, in front of a cop, because the cop might think he's pulling the gun on him, and kill him? How is that reasonable on any level? What if there's a threat the cop isn't aware of yet, and you're preparing to draw against it? You get killed because the cop thinks he has a monopoly on touching loaded firearms, and anyone else touching one can be shot on sight? That doesn't seem like a reasonable attitude to me.

Agree that if there's any hangups about carrying, have you ever known someone to carry and be looking for trouble? Yes there's always the one guy that thinks he's more powerful because he's got a gun. Or the Walmart guy with the biggest Desert Eagle he could find on his hip. But besides these two with the mental disabilities, carrying does not mean you're out looking for trouble and in no way should be perceived as such or infringed upon.:ingo:

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    Despite my earlier comments, I'm right there with you. I used to OC a lot in Ohio, not so much here.

There have been enough incidents nationally lately of a good guy with a gun being shot it's changed my outlook on whether or not I would intervene in any sort of public shooting. We're all on our own at this point. I'm not willing to help anyone I do not know, and that's sad in and of itself.
    I feel and think about the same as you do, I may open carry sometime hunting in the woods but any place else I just don't feel at ease . The USCCA has said over and over what you said here and that is what I am going to do also ,be a good witness and don't pull that gun unless you have no other choice .

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    People can say that open carry had nothing to do with this, but I think it had everything to do with it. It's hard for a cop to shoot someone "reaching for a gun" if he doesn't even know that the guy on the side of the road has a gun. Even from the limited information we have so far, it can be determined that the cop knew the guy was armed and the cop ended up shooting him. Take away that openly carried pistol and the entire situation may have played out differently.

You absolutely should not be shot by an officer mistaking your intent with an openly carried handgun, but then again, cops are human, aren't they?
    You think an officer would not notice you reaching for and touching a concealed handgun?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    People can say that open carry had nothing to do with this, but I think it had everything to do with it. It's hard for a cop to shoot someone "reaching for a gun" if he doesn't even know that the guy on the side of the road has a gun. Even from the limited information we have so far, it can be determined that the cop knew the guy was armed and the cop ended up shooting him. Take away that openly carried pistol and the entire situation may have played out differently.

You absolutely should not be shot by an officer mistaking your intent with an openly carried handgun, but then again, cops are human, aren't they?

You could also say he was shot because he was armed and if he was not armed this would not have happened.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Or he shouldn't have been working on a car on the side of the road, if he had just had it towed this would have never happened,

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You think an officer would not notice you reaching for and touching a concealed handgun?
    Maybe. We have a specific class we teach our recruits, "Characteristics of armed persons". It's a great class taught by one of our instructors who travels around the country teaching it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Maybe. We have a specific class we teach our recruits, "Characteristics of armed persons". It's a great class taught by one of our instructors who travels around the country teaching it.

That sounds really interesting. I'm guessing it's far beyond how ones dressed, their walk/lack of arm-swing, and the INGO bling dead-giveaway?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That sounds really interesting. I'm guessing it's far beyond how ones dressed, their walk/lack of arm-swing, and the INGO bling dead-giveaway?

I'll play along...
    also:
    -constantly adjusting clothing (area weapon is concealed)
    -angling weapon side away from people

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Sounds like a great class. But armed persons would still fall into two groups. Does the class involve knowing who is armed and a threat or just armed? Seems such a distinction would have to be made. Making such a distinction could be really tough.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If an officer is approaching you, and it's clear he's approaching you, then yeah a civilian, private citizen, or whomever should NOT touch his gun, or even make a motion in that direction. I would think, or rather hope, that's common sense.

I agree, but if the officers training leads him to shoot people that he thinks might draw a weapon, then the system is flawed.

Shollz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Agreed
    Agree that if there's any hangups about carrying, have you ever known someone to carry and be looking for trouble? Yes there's always the one guy that thinks he's more powerful because he's got a gun. Or the Walmart guy with the biggest Desert Eagle he could find on his hip. But besides these two with the mental disabilities, carrying does not mean you're out looking for trouble and in no way should be perceived as such or infringed upon.:ingo:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sounds like a great class. But armed persons would still fall into two groups. Does the class involve knowing who is armed and a threat or just armed? Seems such a distinction would have to be made. Making such a distinction could be really tough.

I disagree. Everyone armed (or not), and unknown to me, is potentially a threat. Now there may be those who warrant extra attention, because of size, demeanor, or what you think they may be potentially armed with, but IMO, it is best not to assume who is "ok" and who is not "ok."

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I agree, but if the officers training leads him to shoot people that he thinks might draw a weapon, then the system is flawed.

I agree with this.. But, having a gun, and thinking they might draw, is different from (as reported) having a gun, being approached by a police officer, disregarding his commands, and then appearing to reach for your weapon.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You could also say he was shot because he was armed and if he was not armed this would not have happened.

I don't know why he was shot, but going from the limited information available, it does seem that the fact that he was obviously armed may have played a role.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

It is impossible to make that determination with 100% certainty.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Or he shouldn't have been working on a car on the side of the road, if he had just had it towed this would have never happened,

I think that any rational person can look at the situation and see that the openly carried weapon may have played a bigger role in the person being shot than when or where the incident took place. I am not factoring in the weapons-grade butthurt that rears its head every time anyone suggests that open carry is anything other than a holy ritual ordained by the founding fathers themselves.

:rolleyes:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I agree with this.. But, having a gun, and thinking they might draw, is different from (as reported) having a gun, being approached by a police officer, disregarding his commands, and then appearing to reach for your weapon.

Agree, but since we can only get the report from one side we are expected to take it as truth?. I am not saying the officer is lying, but what he says happened may not of been what was really happening, and without video we will never know.
    Time for dash cams?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom