Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Excuse me, but don't we ALREADY tax drivers by the mile? If you travel more miles you pay more in gas taxes.

Someone please tell him that plan has been in place for a long time.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    This is the start of a great plan. We should just go to work everyday, the gov't takes all our money, They give us everything we need, and everyone will be ok. Because we are not smart enough to make our own decisions reguarding money. They have such a strong track record of fiscal responsibility.

Sorry, what happened? I blacked out for a minute.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Excuse me, but don't we ALREADY tax drivers by the mile? If you travel more miles you pay more in gas taxes.

There you go with the Facts again...
    When will you learn?! ;)
    This is the start of a great plan. We should just go to work everyday, the gov't takes all our money, They give us everything we need, and everyone will be ok. Because we are not smart enough to make our own decisions reguarding money. They have such a strong track record of fiscal responsibility.

Sorry, what happened? I blacked out for a minute.

Actually, England was/is planning on doing exactly what you described...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Of course, right now, it's just a "draft proposal". Anyone want to bet that after he gets re-elected it gets put forth as a real deal bill? They'll obviously have this tax in addition to the already high federal gas taxes, hitting drivers twice. Gotta wonder how many republicrats and dems will see this as an opportunity?

Obama administration floats draft plan to tax cars by the mile - The Hill's Floor Action

Please check your facts. If 18 cents per gallon is high, then you need another job. Yes, Federal tax on gasoline is only 18 point something cents per gallon. Indiana State tax is a fixed 18 cents plus sales tax per gallon.

So, if these taxem to death geniuses get their way, who will pay to retrofit all the older cars with Big Brother Devices?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Anything over 0% is high. It's my money, not theirs. There are also other taxes levied on gas and oil from the manufacturers side and those costs are added into the mix. As for retrofitting my car with one of their tax meters....not going to happen.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Not long ago someone in congress was talking about installing gps units on all vehicles after a certain date that would supply the federal government with mileage and trip destination data. This kind of $*#t really needs to stop. Instead of thinking up every possible way to wring more money out of all of us, those slimeballs in congress need to start thinking of ways to reduce our spending. Our elected officials are some of the slimiest and nastiest people on the face of this earth. They lie so much, they do not even realize that they are lying to us anymore. 1 out of 7 on foodstamps. 47% of households pay no federal income taxes. Where can I get in line to get some of these free handouts from big brother??? Our leaders are inept and criminal.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Too many folks are driving fuel efficient cars now. Gotta get some $$$ from them somehow!

I haven't read this proposal, so can't really comment. That said, if I MUST be taxed, I would prefer a use tax. If you use something (roads), then you must pay to maintain it (road tax), and everyone should be charged evenly. I have a strange feeling, though, that this proposal is MUCH more than that.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I agree, I refuse to install any device in my car that would tell someone else how or where I drive. If I bought a vehicle with one, it would be disabled immediately, and if unable to disable, I guess I don't need a new car.

Also true is that these leaches who are supposed to represent we the people need to cut back on spending. If we the people have to live within our means, then so should our elected officials.

I totally agree that we are taxed way too much, with so many hidden taxes it should start a revolution. With the last election, I am hoping that revolution has started, and it is important that we vote in new people who understand the constitution.

What we need it the ability to have a recall election, so that if a representative fails to represent, then they can be kicked out of office by we the people. We all rag on commiefornia for all their insane laws, but one thing they have is the ability to recall an elected official. That is how Arnold the Governator got in!

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Of course, right now, it's just a "draft proposal". Anyone want to bet that after he gets re-elected it gets put forth as a real deal bill? They'll obviously have this tax in addition to the already high federal gas taxes, hitting drivers twice. Gotta wonder how many republicrats and dems will see this as an opportunity?

Obama administration floats draft plan to tax cars by the mile - The Hill's Floor Action

I should win a prize for being faster than thehill.com on this. : )

:rockwoot:

The only difference is that I included a tin hat theory of them easing us into this by using the EPA to say that we all need emissions testing (so they already have access to our odometer without installing extra equipment, plus the joy of us paying fees for the EPA test).

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Please check your facts. If 18 cents per gallon is high, then you need another job. Yes, Federal tax on gasoline is only 18 point something cents per gallon. Indiana State tax is a fixed 18 cents plus sales tax per gallon.

So, if these taxem to death geniuses get their way, who will pay to retrofit all the older cars with Big Brother Devices?

When the government makes more on gas than all the producers profit' COMBINED, then the taxes are too high.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    When the government makes more on gas than all the producers profit' COMBINED, then the taxes are too high.
    They already make more than some of the producers individually. I figure the government tax on 160 gas stations I do business with is approximately 38 million dollars a year. That is figuring on the low end at the $0.18 figure someone threw out earlier.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    ...and I'm pretty sure I just read that Exxon did $11 Billion in profit first quarter 2011.

Meaningless number without perspective.

Exxon makes 7 cents profit per gallon of gas sold. The U.S. government makes 18 cents per gallon. The individual states make even more per gallon that the federal government.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood

If you drive a fuel-efficient or electric vehicle, the gov. isn't getting as much or any of your hard-earned cash that way and they obviously need that money you saved more than you do!

< Insert "Highway Robbery" joke here. >

Top Bottom