Not open for further replies.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Heaven is gaining a good guy today. Vietnam navy veteran, father, husband, grandfather.

On a side note if anyone knows who to contact about a navy funeral service that would be greatly appreciated I’m sure I can google it…. Just want to help my mom she will be overwhelmed.
    Contact the local American Legion and or Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and have a copy of his DD214. I can post the website you can use to pull it offline if needed.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So sorry to hear this CG, I enjoyed meeting your dad the one time I did, hopefully it's as peaceful as possible.
    You only met that one time and he loves that 16g he got from you and never even shot it and talked about what a great guy you were. (That deal and the car stuff)

Thanks tough day he is disconnected from everything and defying all odds…… but can’t bounce back. He is in no pain and at peace he told me he was not scared and he was ready. He probably just said it for me…….

Sorry to bring down the mood in the group…. Nice to vent semi anonymously when it’s such a private emotional issue.

Resume poop legos kid hating and furry spiders

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Heaven is gaining a good guy today. Vietnam navy veteran, father, husband, grandfather.

On a side note if anyone knows who to contact about a navy funeral service that would be greatly appreciated I’m sure I can google it…. Just want to help my mom she will be overwhelmed.

As repeter mentioned, try your local American Legion, or Veterans of Foreign Wars.
    If you don't know, send a message to myself, or repeter and we can look it up, with a contact number.

Some Posts have shrunk so much, they are unable to perform a ceremony.
    If that happens, don't become discouraged.
    Find the next closest Post.

Or we can look up the District for the area you are in.
    A district is a group of Posts.

As repeter mentioned, look for his DD-214. It's necessary for the Post to get a Casket Flag for the veteran.
    In fact, I recommend to EVERYONE, to either have their family know where their 214 is, or if you ARE the family to know where a copy is kept.
    I'd have to check, but I think the Social Security Number can be marked out.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    As repeter mentioned, try your local American Legion, or Veterans of Foreign Wars.
    If you don't know, send a message to myself, or repeter and we can look it up, with a contact number.

Some Posts have shrunk so much, they are unable to perform a ceremony.
    If that happens, don't become discouraged.
    Find the next closest Post.

Or we can look up the District for the area you are in.
    A district is a group of Posts.

As repeter mentioned, look for his DD-214. It's necessary for the Post to get a Casket Flag for the veteran.
    In fact, I recommend to EVERYONE, to either have their family know where their 214 is, or if you ARE the family to know where a copy is kept.
    I'd have to check, but I think the Social Security Number can be marked out.
    My mom has his form. He is still “here” in front of me so I have some time, and he wants to be cremated nothing fancy. And only wants immediate family…. Just trying to honor his wishes he told me “the navy atleast owes me a funeral” most of what he did as SAR and doorgunner will be lost today I only have a few stories but he had to do some wild stuff. I don’t want my mom to be more overwhelmed than she already is.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks tough day he is disconnected from everything and defying all odds…… but can’t bounce back. He is in no pain and at peace he told me he was not scared and he was ready. He probably just said it for me…….

Sorry to bring down the mood in the group…. Nice to vent semi anonymously when it’s such a private emotional issue.
    No need to say sorry at all. You need some support to, no man can bear all of the burdens life throws at you alone. Reaching out here enables you to be stronger for those around you. INGO is more than just gun owners, it is a group of good people and I probably speak for most when I say if you need anything let us know.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    No need to say sorry at all. You need some support to, no man can bear all of the burdens life throws at you alone. Reaching out here enables you to be stronger for those around you. INGO is more than just gun owners, it is a group of good people and I probably speak for most when I say if you need anything let us know.
    Means a lot and it I s a heavy burden I am the oldest sibling and my daughters and my wife to worry about along with my mom….. lots of people looking to me and I don’t want what I have to give at 36 yo this isn’t supposed to happen yet. I know not many get to say goodbyes and go out on their terms but wow a phone call is seeming it would be better than this!

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Means a lot and it I s a heavy burden I am the oldest sibling and my daughters and my wife to worry about along with my mom….. lots of people looking to me and I don’t want what I have to give at 36 yo this isn’t supposed to happen yet. I know not many get to say goodbyes and go out on their terms but wow a phone call is seeming it would be better than this!
    Do what you can, when you can, with what you got. You don't need to be anything more than you are. And a 36 year old is not supposed to have to deal with that yet, but we are rarely given plans ahead of time. What matters is what you do in the situation you are in now. You got this. And don't forget to grieve yourself. It is an important process.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Lost my parents 28 years ago. Mom went first and no chance for goodbye. Dad went 9 months later. Did get my goodbye in with him. I was 20 when mom died and 21 when dad went. No age is a good age to lose a loved one.

prayers.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Deep breath. Give yourself a minute. You have made many transitions in life. Changed roles. It is always a challenge. You grow up, learn, accept responsibilities, make new ones(home,family, people who depend on you) and you are now facing one of the tougher transitions. To take a place you may not be ready to. The head of your whole family. It is not something you do alone. You will have your mom and siblings. Hopefully the support of your own family.

Immediate needs are helping everyone get through this, and doing things that need done. It can be very stressful, but you can reduce that to some degree by sharing with those also going through this loss and even delegating responsibilities to those you know can handle them(after you figure out what needs done, the toughest part). Do not try to do everything. They(siblings,your spouse,even mom) probably would like to feel they are helping to.

I made this transition a few years ago(to the head of the whole family). I kept one thing in mind. Bringing everyone closer. It is what he did. I started setting up the holidays(or helping mom plan them). Made sure we all spent more time together and try to be the rock and glue. I do not do it as well as he did, but he would be proud.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    ... He is in no pain and at peace he told me he was not scared and he was ready. He probably just said it for me…….

cg, sometimes people really are ready. My Dad was a couple years ago. He had a good life, many accomplishments, raised a loving family, etc ...

In my Dad's case, he was the eldest of eight, and 6 brothers and sisters passed before him. He was ready to see his siblings and parents again - dare I say, even eager to see them. It helps to know that you're one of God's children, and he WILL take care of his own. Sometimes it helps to talk of these things, and share encouragement and assurances.

I pray your Dad passes peacefully, and gives your family peace and strength throughout this process.

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart

Sorry to hear about your dad. We'll be praying for you and your family.

The funeral director should be able to make the arrangements for the Navy Honors Service. As act mentioned, some of the veterans organizations can assist. The VA can also assist.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Really? I didn't know it was that specific. I have seen LGBT+ issues included in woke issues, but not to the exclusion of all others.

Merriam-Webster:

woke​

adjective

woker; wokest
    Synonyms of woke
    chiefly US slang
    : aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)
    disapproving : politically liberal or progressive (as in matters of racial and social justice) especially in a way that is considered unreasonable or extreme
    The true definition. Saw this the other day but cannot find it now.
    WOKE:
    Willingly Omitting Known Evil

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom