Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Where is there to shoot (besides melensdad's house)? Deb's in Hammond, but that place ain't the greatest; Winimac, but it's a hike; I know there are other outdoor ranges, but I've not heard good things...

Any ideas?

--LAKE COUNTY--
    Deb's Gun Range
    6819 Kennedy Ave
    Hammond IN 46323
    Indoor Handgun Range up to 25 yards
    Handgun calibers only; .22LR rifle Only
    $10 per hour per person; Handgun rentals avaliable

Izaak Walton League
    1532 E Main Street
    Griffith IN 46323
    Outdoor rifle/handgun range; .22LR rifle Only
    Outdoor trap area
    FOR MEMBERS ONLY
    Open to the public for trap every THRS night; small fee involved.

Izaak Walton League - Diana Chapter
    23656 Broadway
    Shelby, IN 46377
    Outdoor range
    FOR MEMBERS ONLY

--PORTER COUNTY--
    Blythe's Sport Shop
    2810 N Calumet Ave
    Valparaiso, IN 46383
    Indoor Handgun Range up to 25 yards
    Handgun calibers only; .22LR rifle Only
    $12 per hour per person;

North Porter County Conservation Club
    933 N Calumet Ave
    Chesterton IN 46304
    Outdoor ranges
    FOR MEMBERS ONLY
    Open to the public for various competitive shooting events; small fee involved; see website for dates/times.

--LA PORTE COUNTY--
    Michigan City Rifle Club
    4801 W US Hwy 20
    La Porte, IN 46350
    Indoor range; 25 yard; handguns only
    Outdoor range; 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards
    FOR MEMBERS ONLY
    Open to the public for various competitive shooting events; small fee involved; see website for dates/times.

Kingsbury (DNR Public State Range)
    5344 S. Hupp Road
    LaPorte, IN 46350
    Ranges: The range has 37 shooting positions: 10 positions at 50 yards, 5 positions at 100 yards, 18 positions at 10, 15 or 25 yards, 4 shotgun stations.
    Hours:
    * Closed Mondays
    * open daily from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. (varies by season -- call ahead to check time)
    Restrictions: paper targets only, no autos
    Fee: $4/day(Adult), $2/day(under 18), $10/day(Family)

--ST. JOSEPH COUNTY--
    Kodiak Firing Range
    4611 S. Burnett Dr.
    South Bend IN, 46614
    Indoor range
    Standard
    Steel targets @ 24 yards (handgun only)
    Tactical
    Steel targets @ 24 yards (handgun, .223 rifle or shotgun slug)
    Live Fire Shoothouse
    (handgun or .223 rifle)
    ONLY LEAD FREE FRANGIBLE AMMUNITION ALLOWED
    $$ Fee involved $$

--ELKHART COUNTY--
    Midwest Gun Exchange
    Midwest Gun & Range
    128 Rush Court
    Elkhart, IN 46516-9644
    Indoor range, FULL AUTO rentals
    Shoot calibers up to (and including) .308 (7.62x51 NATO).
    $$ Fee involved $$
    (Thanks to DeOppressoLiber for the info!)

There 2nd location DOES NOT have a range. It is just a store.
    3415 Grape Rd
    Mishawaka, IN 46545-2773

--NEWTON COUNTY--
    Willow Slough (DNR Public State Range)
    2042 S 500 W
    Morocco, IN 47963
    (219) 285-2704
    Willow Slough has 25 yard, 50 yard, 100 yard, and a skeet area, as well as an archery area with a stand. 1 port-o-potty.
    FREE TO SHOOT
    (Thanks to NWIeng for the info!)

--JASPER COUNTY--
    Jasper-Pulaski (DNR Public State Range)
    3630 E County Road 850 N
    Wheatfield, IN 46392
    GPS 41.13625, -86.967202
    (219) 843-4841

Jasper has 25, 50, 100, 225, and a shotgun range. Gotta check in at the visitor center down the road first.
    FREE TO SHOOT
    (Thanks to tv1217 for the info!)

Oakwood Gun Club
    Oakwood Gun Club
    11388 N State Road 49
    Wheatfield, IN 46392
    (219) 956-4615

Skeet & Trap only

--PULASKI COUNTY--
    4. Winamac (DNR Public State Range)
    546 County Rd 200 W
    Winamac, IN 46996
    GPS: 41.134988, -86.640729
    Outdoor range: 25, 50, 100, and 200 yard range.
    FREE TO SHOOT

--FULTON COUNTY--
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Home
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch
    2111 E. 350 North
    Rochester, Indiana 46975
    $$ Fee involved $$

--CASS COUNTY--
    Izaak Walton League - Cass County
    Isaac Walton League
    1046 N. St. Rd. 17
    Logansport, IN 46947
    Outdoor ranges 25, 50 100 yards
    Trap, Skeet
    FOR MEMBERS ONLY
    (Thanks to 451_Detonics for the info!)
    isaacwaltonleague.jpg

L'Anguille Practical Pistol League
    575 N.
    Twelve Mile, IN 46988
    Outdoor range 25, 35, 50, 100 with overhead covering on 25 and 100
    Members only $35.00 per year with a one time $15.00 initiation fee.
    Organized competitions bi-monthly
    FOR MEMBERS ONLY
    (Thanks to 451_Detonics for the info!)
    ourrange-1.jpg

--ILLINOIS--

Glenwood Gun & Pistol Range" target="_blank">Glenwood Gun & Pistol Range

135 E Main St # 1
    Glenwood, IL
    (708) 757-5600
    $$ Fee involved $$
    Note on traveling to IL with firearms. Read this!
    (Thanks to melensdad for the info!)

Last edited by a moderator:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    u r welcome there is also a "small gun range" in Whiting, IN right on the beach. It's a FOR MEMBERS only range and I think it's only for the local PD. I'm not sure but I know that
    smiley-talk034.gif
    , an INGO member, has shot there once. (PM me if you want the name as I'm not sure if he wants that info released).

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Awesome, Jediagh, thanks...

Anyone familiar with any of these places?

I shoot at Kingsbury. It's fairly large, and the fee is $4 for the whole day IIRC. My only complaint is that they do NOT want you to carry any firearms on your person, so CC is your best bet when shooting there.

Blythes in Valpo is HORRIBLE. Stay away! I live 5 minutes away from it and I will drive an hour out of my way to go shoot somewhere else. It's outrageously expensive, the staff are (for the most part) yahoos, and the range is no good.

I live in Valpo, and it's a bit of a political mix. I would say Valpo is predominantly R, having elected a R Mayor. However, for reasons I STILL can't wrap my head around, Valpo has elected a D Sheriff, and MANY of the Porter County police officers are Liberals in the highest degree. :rolleyes: It's a shame.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I think the Whiting range is closed for repairs right now, and I do believe to gain access to it when it is open all you need to do is become a member of the Whiting FOP.

Jasper-Pulaski has a shotgun range area, and 25yd, 50yd, 100yd, and 225yd rifle/pistol ranges... Paper target only and don't shoot real fast like double tapping or your out of there... The RO's are nice people at this range from my experience.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Just a side note on available firing ranges, if your traveling all the way to Jasper-Pulaski from up here then you might also be interested in going out to New Carlisle which is just outside of La Porte Indiana. Kent of Class 3 Sales runs a very nice indoor firing range and I've always found him to be fair in my dealings with him. He normally has full auto rentals available to use and he runs a full auto friendly firing range. Plus the backstop in parts of the range will take rifle calibers... Ever fired your M4 indoors before, well you aught to try it in there just for the experience of what it would be like in a inclosed space... Sorry alittle off topic....

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I think the Whiting range is closed for repairs right now, and I do believe to gain access to it when it is open all you need to do is become a member of the Whiting FOP.

Thanks gunbunnies but based on that answer & the FOP website that means it's a no go for 95% of us.

Q. Am I eligible to join the Fraternal Order of Police?

A. If you are a regularly appointed or elected and full-time employed law enforcement officer of the United States, any state or political subdivision thereof, or any agency, then you can become a member of the Fraternal Order of Police. If you are a family member of a Fraternal Order of Police member you may join the FOP Auxiliary. If you are a supporter of Law Enforcement you may join the FOP Associates. Please contact your local Fraternal Order of Police lodge who will assist you through the membership process.

:dunno:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Thanks gunbunnies but based on that answer & the FOP website that means it's a no go for 95% of us.

Q. Am I eligible to join the Fraternal Order of Police?

A. If you are a regularly appointed or elected and full-time employed law enforcement officer of the United States, any state or political subdivision thereof, or any agency, then you can become a member of the Fraternal Order of Police. If you are a family member of a Fraternal Order of Police member you may join the FOP Auxiliary. If you are a supporter of Law Enforcement you may join the FOP Associates. Please contact your local Fraternal Order of Police lodge who will assist you through the membership process.

:dunno:

Pffft that's a definite no-go. :nono::rolleyes:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Pffft that's a definite no-go. :nono::rolleyes:
    Unless you become a "5-0". =(

Too bad really but at least ya know now that a "range" does exist on the lake front. :ar15:

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

The next MEET & EAT is on 28 AUG 10 (sign up!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ngo_meet_and_eat_oc_cc_-_sat_28_aug_10_a.html

The next MEET & SHOOT is on 18 SEP 10 (sign up!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_sat_18_sep_2010_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    Need help on finding a location see here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

Ranges in NWI
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I think that the FOP Associates membership might be for most of us to get access to that range, I'll check with the guy I know that has access to it and find out how he has it as he is not a Police Officer... It would be nice to have a range that close but I'm not trying to sell anyone on the membership... I just keep watching the housing market in southern Indiana and am on the lookout for a 20 or 30 acre piece of land to go park the RV on and shoot all day and night to my hearts content, or until I run out of ammo... dang bullet let down...

Just in case someone doesn't realize that the Class 3 range I mentioned is a advertiser/supporter here on INGO... here's the link to his webpage... Should have posted that earlier but you know a mind is a terrible thing to waste....

Class3Sales.com

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I think that the FOP Associates membership might be for most of us to get access to that range, I'll check with the guy I know that has access to it and find out how he has it as he is not a Police Officer... It would be nice to have a range that close but I'm not trying to sell anyone on the membership... I just keep watching the housing market in southern Indiana and am on the lookout for a 20 or 30 acre piece of land to go park the RV on and shoot all day and night to my hearts content, or until I run out of ammo... dang bullet let down...

Just in case someone doesn't realize that the Class 3 range I mentioned is a advertiser/supporter here on INGO... here's the link to his webpage... Should have posted that earlier but you know a mind is a terrible thing to waste....

Class3Sales.com

he,he,he... u did not see that I re-edited my post to include the Class3Sales.com website. :D

Also if you can find out about the whiting range and if it's possible to become a member please, please post! In the long run I think the Griffith chapter would be OK for me if they/I can get them to change the rules on sitting only. I do like the MCGC facilities. Those are nice, they have indoor plumbing, a small "hall" (eating/kitchen area) and camping setup but alas that one is a drive just like the Chesternut one.

As for your 20/30 acres land in Southern LAKE county. Good luck with that. Did you not see the post about melensdad and his "fight" with his crAzy neighbor cause melensdad was shooting "too" much and "too" early *cough* 10AM *cough* :n00b:

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    Deb's isn't bad It's an indoor Pistol only range. It's kinda small, so it wouldn't be great for a large group shoot. It's only $10 and includes shooting muffs and a target.

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    By the way sorry I've been away I'm one of the few R's in Lake county and I've been helping them. I've also been hanging out on QRZ.com thanks to Sailor.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Deb's isn't bad It's an indoor Pistol only range. It's kinda small, so it wouldn't be great for a large group shoot. It's only $10 and includes shooting muffs and a target.

Anyone every hold a "private party" at Deb's? I noticed once when I went they had a flyer saying they can do Private B-Day parties and/or close the range down for private events (ie. you rent the whole range for your group).

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Can't use both hands to type, only two fingers and go slow so I can read what you are typing. One of many tricks this old dog is trying to learn at a slow pace.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Can't use both hands to type, only two fingers and go slow so I can read what you are typing. One of many tricks this old dog is trying to learn at a slow pace.

r u telling me you are NOT some young lad who can spend all day surfing the net, while listen to his tunes on his IPOD, and texting his gfriend on his DROID cellphone while his IPAD downloads the latest Harry Porter e-Book.

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    There was a Class III rental place back home--great fun. Deb's isn't bad, but I do love shooting outside. I miss having friends with farmland back home.

On a side note, had a good time at the Pine Lounge with GhostofWinter, LadyGhost, and melensdad, brief though it was. I am really happy with the organization and camaraderie of NWI shooters.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Back in high school a piece of paper and a pencil were my calculater and computers were just starting out, an insurance gave one the high school I went to that had at least 40 to 50 big and tall metal cabinets that took up two rooms in the industral arts building.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom