• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Anyone a member of this organization here?
    They have a 25 yard outdoor range on their property.
    The website does not give much info:
    Griffith Chapter (Griffith Chapter)

about membership cost and the range rules seem a bit harsh.
    Membership Information (Griffith Chapter)
    Click on link at the very bottom.

:dunno:

Looking for a 'quiet' place to take my daughter next spring to introduce her to shooting in the area.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    I think they only have 1 or 2 lanes for rifle. They require some grounds service and possibly meeting attendance? Let us know what you find out.. I'd like to find a range close by.

salemons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NorthWest Indiana
    Michigan City might be gettin a little far away but we have a great club. Check out our website. 25 to 200 yard rifle, trap shootin, cowboy shootin, IDPA, muzzleloaders, 24/7 indoor pistol and lots of organized open to the public shoots.:rockwoot:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I think they only have 1 or 2 lanes for rifle. They require some grounds service and possibly meeting attendance? Let us know what you find out.. I'd like to find a range close by.

You are correct. They only have 2 lanes for handgun/rifles both have some wooden benches that look like they are going to fall apart and the range (walk-way) as you get to the backstop that has chicken wire to hang paper on looks like it has not been maintained in a long time.

Someone said their is one in Portage? Any links/website for that one?

---edits---
    Found this but the website is NO MORE...

Miller Chapter
    Property/Meeting Site: 1250 Crisman Rd.
    Portage, IN 46368-3924
    Chapter Website: www.miller-in-iwla.org/dnn
    To Join Contact: Charles A. Siar
    (Membership Officer)
    Phone: (219)762-4876

=(

Why can't people keep their website UP TO DATE & ONLNIE!!!!!

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Michigan City might be gettin a little far away but we have a great club. Check out our website. 25 to 200 yard rifle, trap shootin, cowboy shootin, IDPA, muzzleloaders, 24/7 indoor pistol and lots of organized open to the public shoots.:rockwoot:

Hum...
    This looks interesting! It a little bit of a drive but may work for me. Do you have an open house day where people can go look around and see if it's for them or not?

I'm basically looking for a range or place to shoot where I can teach my 5 year old. I would like something where it's not going to be TOO LOUD (at the beginning for her) and just to have some "alone" time without having to worry about rushing your 1 hour range time, or having to worry about others at the place.

I've taken the "public ranges" off the book since it's just too many people of all walks of life and I would rather have some just me and her and a few other people.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Hum...
    This looks interesting! It a little bit of a drive but may work for me. Do you have an open house day where people can go look around and see if it's for them or not?

I'm basically looking for a range or place to shoot where I can teach my 5 year old. I would like something where it's not going to be TOO LOUD (at the beginning for her) and just to have some "alone" time without having to worry about rushing your 1 hour range time, or having to worry about others at the place.

I've taken the "public ranges" off the book since it's just too many people of all walks of life and I would rather have some just me and her and a few other people.

Do you have an exact address for this location so I can google map it.
    Thanks

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There is this club too, it's closer to you. I have not been in there but was considering it.
    It's in Chesterton. The Michigan city one looks to have more stuff though.

North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton, Indiana

I have heard about them as well. Here is my list of cons for them.

- They only have outdoor ranges
    - Someone must sponor you to become a member
    - Membership cost is higher than the other group
    - Requires more "participation hours in competitve events" than other group

With the MCRC you can either participate in 2 events (I take that to mean you have to compete in the events) or you can do 2 courses to met the requirement of particiation. I have no interest in "firearm compeition" per say. In my view of the world it has no role for defensive/pro-active use of a gun. In fact it limits you.

In a "street fight" there is only 1 rule: LIVE!

Guess my ideal "range" would be somewhere where it's quiet and I can teach my daughter and later my son (only 2 right now) the use of a firearm. If daughter/son want to "play/compete" in those firearm events that is up to them. Me I woul rather get some force on force, tactical typ of training instead.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana

- They only have outdoor ranges
    - Someone must sponor you to become a member
    - Membership cost is higher than the other group
    - Requires more "participation hours in competitve events" than other group

With the MCRC you can either participate in 2 events (I take that to mean you have to compete in the events) or you can do 2 courses to met the requirement of particiation. I have no interest in "firearm compeition" per say. In my view of the world it has no role for defensive/pro-active use of a gun. In fact it limits you.

Guess my ideal "range" would be somewhere where it's quiet and I can teach my daughter and later my son (only 2 right now) the use of a firearm. If daughter/son want to "play/compete" in those firearm events that is up to them. Me I woul rather get some force on force, tactical typ of training instead.

Sounds like a good assessment.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines

Do keep us posted. I've pretty much given up on finding anything within a half hour of Highland. I'd be happy with a place that had reasonable fees and reasonable rules. I was a member of the Izaak Walton Dianna Chapter for awhile which was nice but it took over an hour to get there so I rarely went and was basically paying 120/year for 2 days of range time.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana

- They only have outdoor ranges That's true, but covered shooting positions
    - Someone must sponor you to become a member Umm...I am a member :)
    - Membership cost is higher than the other group True it IS $100 a year, but there usually is nobody there shooting except on match days
    - Requires more "participation hours in competitve events" than other group They require 12 hours of 'service' a year.

If you are curious about the range why don't you shoot me a PM and we could meet out there one afternoon and you can take a look around.

Greg

salemons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NorthWest Indiana
    We don't have an open day at Michigan City but you can attend any of the division shoots to see the club. You can also email me @ salemons@yahoo.com and I can meet you to show you the club. You don't need to compete in 2 events to become a member. You can arrange to meet with club officers twice just so they can see that you have an understanding of firearms. This is handled by the membership person when you apply.
    Location is on hwy 35/20 just east of Michigan City just past the I94 interchange (not the one at 421). There is Tin City grill and a fleemarket in the north side of the highway. We are just past on the same side of the road. There is a sign at the road.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I am a memeber of the Griffith Isaac Walton League. Correct. the rifle range is two bench rests....one at 25 and one at 50 yards. You must shoot from a rest position. They do have an excellent trap facility. Membership is $65 a year with a one time registration/key fee of like $25 or something. You also must volunteer for a total of 10 hours of service within the first year as a member. After that, all you have to do is pay your dues. They have three small lakes with boat access (trolling motor only) They also have a nice little archery range in the woods with a tree stand. I recently became a member and I have already brought up the fact that you can't practice self-defensive pistol wielding from a bench position. It is my goal to make this happen. They have the space, I think it is just a safety issue and someone taking charge. If a self-defense class or something of the like was to happen there, I am sure that they would make arrangements to use the trap range for such an event. I joined because I live literally 2 blocks away and it's a great place to hit up after work to plink a .22 or drown a worm. You do need to be a member to use the range. There is trap shooting open to the public on thursdays starting around 2pm untill 10pm....(yes, they have lights)...You must have a sponsor to join, which is pretty easy. I walked in there one day during a kids archery clinic, and started talking to an older gentleman that ended up sponsoring me. If anyone on INGO is interested in becoming a member or would like more information, I'd be glad to help. I would also be happy to sponsor any INGO members. This would basically entail going to one of the meetings, listening to minutes, and having a few beers. It's a pretty layed back place.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I am a memeber of the Griffith Isaac Walton League. Correct. the rifle range is two bench rests....one at 25 and one at 50 yards. You must shoot from a rest position.

Do the benches have the rifle stand or does one have to bring their own?

I recently became a member and I have already brought up the fact that you can't practice self-defensive pistol wielding from a bench position. It is my goal to make this happen. They have the space, I think it is just a safety issue and someone taking charge.

How well did they take your comments?
    I'm 1 block from the GHS so this club would be the closest for me but it seems like they are more info fishing, camping and trap than anything else.

I know that as with any club it's what you make of it and if enough members want to do "xyz" activity (ie. expand the handgun range) it could be done but we are talking months/years of work whereas some of the other "local" gun clubs already have such things established.

If a self-defense class or something of the like was to happen there, I am sure that they would make arrangements to use the trap range for such an event.

Have you seen this post?
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...62830-personal_protection_classes_in_nwi.html

We are looking to bring this class to "da region" but would need a place to shoot (from holster). Perhaps here???

I joined because I live literally 2 blocks away and it's a great place to hit up after work to plink a .22 or drown a worm.

Such violence! :laugh: :D

You do need to be a member to use the range. There is trap shooting open to the public on thursdays starting around 2pm untill 10pm....(yes, they have lights)...You must have a sponsor to join, which is pretty easy. I walked in there one day during a kids archery clinic, and started talking to an older gentleman that ended up sponsoring me. If anyone on INGO is interested in becoming a member or would like more information, I'd be glad to help. I would also be happy to sponsor any INGO members. This would basically entail going to one of the meetings, listening to minutes, and having a few beers. It's a pretty layed back place.

Do they do any other type of kid clincs? I'm looking for a kids firearm course/program/summer camp/etc in the area.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Do the benches have the rifle stand or does one have to bring their own?

The have some simple wood rests.

How well did they take your comments?
    I'm 1 block from the GHS so this club would be the closest for me but it seems like they are more info fishing, camping and trap than anything else.

They are spaz on the trap!
    They took them fine. They didn't completely shut the door on it. Mostly about someone taking charge. Like you said, it might take a while. Especially since I am super busy and don't have too much time to bribe the senority.:laugh:

I know that as with any club it's what you make of it and if enough members want to do "xyz" activity (ie. expand the handgun range) it could be done but we are talking months/years of work whereas some of the other "local" gun clubs already have such things established.

I agree.....it's definitely not for those who are looking for a gun range only.

Have you seen this post?
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...62830-personal_protection_classes_in_nwi.html

We are looking to bring this class to "da region" but would need a place to shoot (from holster). Perhaps here???

I did read this post last night. Too rich for my blood. I would be glad to contact the president to see about the possibilities of this.

Such violence! :laugh: :D

Do they do any other type of kid clincs? I'm looking for a kids firearm course/program/summer camp/etc in the area.

They have a kids summer camp at some state park in IN. They do hunters education classes. As far as other "kid" only events, I'd have to check to see what is on the schedule. With clubs like this, it's more about people getting an idea approved, excepting responsibility, and following through. They have kid parties and I believe a few .22 shoots every year. Lots of family related events. I have a 2 year old, so I'm not quite ready to take the step that you are about to take. I think the facilities are worth the money each year. Especially in NWI where it is very hard to find a place to retreat. I'm looking forward to trying out some ice fishing this winter. The lakes were the icing on the cake for me. I love to fish....or just sit on a boat and drink. If you are exclusively interested in a nice pistol/rifle range, then this probably isn't the place for you. I still head to other ranges when I have the time. This place is just convenient for a quick shoot or a walk around the lake with my dog.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks groovatron,

They do have "limited camping" as well but my kids (2 and 4.5) are still a bit too small for that. I'm currenlty trying to set up a 'visit' to the other 2 clubs and hopefully will be able to become a member of one in ealry 2010.

Long term (2010-2011) I want to do what the Illinois State Rifle Association does. They have an Open Range Day near Kankakee, IL. At the event the public is allowed on the ISRA range to shoot a wide variety of handguns, shotguns, and rifles that were on load by the club, vendors, and mfg. Vendors have booths on the various items they sell (no selling at the event; just info handed via flyers, cards, etc.) as well as most of the name brand mfg were there. Para, S&W, GLOCK, COLT, etc. People could walk up to the tables to touch the guns, talk to the cmpany reps or get in line and test fire any handgun on the vendor tables for a small fee. Something like $2 for 5 rounds of handgun ammo, $1 for 5 shotgun shells, etc..

Each stall had a firearm volunteer (member of the club) that would show the person firing how to load and fire. It was very well organized and gave the public a chance to fire various weapons for a small fee and to see if firearms were for them. Plus there was a food area to buy food as well.

Something like this I would like to see in NWI

Top Bottom