• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    At our last NWI INGO MEET & SHOOT near the end of the event a few of us got together to talk about the possibilty of bring appleseed to NWI. The biggest hurdle is finding a place to host it.

The DNR ranges (public ranges) are a no go for the event. So that leaves us with finding either a private range or a land that could be used as a "range" for the event.

Being a "city boy" once I get passed US-30 SOUTH I'm "lost" in terms of what is out that way. Plus once I pass South Lake Mall that too is the "farmland" per say. I know there is probably nothing in the NORT EAST portion of lake county (East Chicago, Hammond, Gary) area that we could use for this. There are a few places that come to mind but I seriously doubt we coud use them.

[Yes some of these are crazy ideas and I'm looking at just a place where it could be held not thinking of all the red tape right now]
    - Old griffith golf course on Cline Ave
    - Wolff Lake area (shooting towards the lake)
    - Gary area near the airport has lots of "open land"

In any case the areas that I am familar are well populated. :D Thus I'm hoping to get some ideas of where there is land for such an event. I'm willing to go an investigate, do the leg work to bring it here but need some starting points in terms of land/space.

So anyone got any ideas?

---
    UPDATE
    Possible locations:
    Michigan City Gun Club
    Chesternon Gun Glub (not the correct name) [GhostofWinter will ask]
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Home

---
    ---
    FYI NWI INGO members
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

INGO Open Carry Cigar Night is 19 AUG 10
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...en_carry_cigar_night_aug_19_schererville.html

The next MEET & EAT is on 28 AUG 10
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ngo_meet_and_eat_oc_cc_-_sat_28_aug_10_a.html

The next MEET & SHOOT is on 18 OR 19 SEP 10 (go vote!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...590-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_sep_2010_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    Need help on finding a location see here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    There are IDPA pistol competitions at clubs in Chesterton and in Michigan City. Perhaps a member at one of those clubs could arrange to rent the range for an Appleseed event.

I live right next to the club in Michigan City, but have never joined. I do know one member and will ask him if it is even a possibility.

As an aside...I wanted to join about ten-fifteen years ago. To put it as nicely as I can, the person I had to talk to about it was very unpleasant and in two brief encounters (one trying to buy some reloading equipment from his store, and another just asking about becoming a member of the rifle club) I knew I'd never join that club.

Edit...I asked. He's going to inquire about it and let me know.

Last edited:

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I broached the subject of having an Appleseed shoot at NPCCC a while back, but it didn't go very far. I don't think they (the officers) fully understood what was involved from the club( or rather what was NOT involved....) I think I will put the subject out there again at the annual picnicthat is coming up in a couple of
    weeks by talking to officers one on one about it and see what happens...

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Appleseed has as instructor crew in NW Indiana who can make presentations to any interested clubs/range/land owners.

Just PM Techres or Yellowhousejake here on INGO.

HH

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm getting excited! I really, Really, REALLY hope we can get one of these places on board! I have no doubt at all that we can fill whatever shoots we could get scheduled in NWI. The shooters are there - we just need the space!!!

And jediagh, we'll get you into that "froggy leg" position yet. :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    GhostofWinter can you see if we(*) can get one of the NWI Appleseed instructors to do a presentation for your club? Is the annual picnic "open to the public" or just members?

@All
    My understanding is that for the appleseed events (never been to one) the attendees do a sleep over (at the range) as well is this correct?

@AuntieBellum
    No way I'm gonna do that froggy again. That's for girls! LOL!!!!

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Some ranges allow attendees to camp on-site. This is a choice for the range to make and, while convenient, is neither a requirement nor an official part of an Appleseed.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    GhostofWinter can you see if we(*) can get one of the NWI Appleseed instructors to do a presentation for your club? Is the annual picnic "open to the public" or just members?

@All
    My understanding is that for the appleseed events (never been to one) the attendees do a sleep over (at the range) as well is this correct?

@AuntieBellum
    No way I'm gonna do that froggy again. That's for girls! LOL!!!!

The picnic is open to the public. Here is a link to the flyer and info:
    North Porter County Conservation Club Presents the 2008 Family Picnic

As for having an instructor do a presentation I intend to push the issue a bit at the monthly meeting tonite with the officers. As well as more at the picnic. Speaking of shooting they are shooting Steel this Saturday thd 14th and IDPA on Sunday the 15th. I am planning on showing up for the IDPA match but not sure on the steel match. I won't be able to shoot, but I can at least be there. ;)

Greg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

:laugh: I get to quote myself. :laugh:
    By the * in we I meant you doing the work for us. LOL!!! Seems like you are. he,he,he...

The picnic is open to the public. Here is a link to the flyer and info:
    North Porter County Conservation Club Presents the 2008 Family Picnic

:xmad:
    I can't make that one. Every sunday in AUG as well as the 12 and 26 in SEP (sunday) I'm booked with a church event.

@AuntieBellum could you PM GhostofWinter the names of the Appleseed instructors.

@GhostofWinter not sure how your club is run or what it would entail to get them to say 'OK' but looking at it from outside the club (speaking for myself) I'm willing to help orgainze, promote and off course part-take in this event. I know AuntieBellum is also interested.

Yes I would like to do one weekend for me (as in getting to shot) but after that my interested is in bringing new shooters to the event. I see myself helping more in getting people there, lending out my rifle (soon to be 2), helping on logistics (food, tents, etc..) for the event.

One day I would like to teach new shooters but for now just getting the program into our area and then making it a constant like the NWI INGO MEET & SHOOT is what I would like to see.

So from that point of view we just need a range and your club would not have to do anything else other than just provide the range. :)

Speaking of shooting they are shooting Steel this Saturday thd 14th and IDPA on Sunday the 15th. I am planning on showing up for the IDPA match but not sure on the steel match. I won't be able to shoot, but I can at least be there. ;)

Greg

Already have an event of SAT & SUN. :cool:

----
    ---
    FYI NWI INGO members
    INGO Open Carry Cigar Night is 19 AUG 10
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...en_carry_cigar_night_aug_19_schererville.html

See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ngo_meet_and_eat_oc_cc_-_sat_28_aug_10_a.html

See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...590-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_sep_2010_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Appleseed range presentation? That would be me :)

Does the range have a website?

Street Address?

Scheduled meeting?

If I can't get there, I will make sure someone else does. We would love to have an event up there this year, we would love to have two, or three!

Yellowhousejake

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Appleseed range presentation? That would be me :)

Does the range have a website?

Street Address?

Scheduled meeting?

If I can't get there, I will make sure someone else does. We would love to have an event up there this year, we would love to have two, or three!

Yellowhousejake
    North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton, Indiana

Street address is on the website, along with a satelite view of the range.

Scheduled meeting, well we had our monthly one last nite,HOWEVER we are having our annual picnic on the 22nd of August if you are able to make it then it would be GREAT! ifnot,well the next official meeting is not til Sept 14th. :( as for having an appleseed or two or three this year it would appear that we (the club officers) are interested in this as well.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    jediagh, when this gets scheduled don't feel as if you need to come alone the first time. Even if you don't have all those other parts we've been talking about on your 10/22, come! And even if you bring more people than you have rifles for, come! The instructors will gladly lend their rifles for your use as long as you tell them in advance - It's important to make sure every shooter has a rifle, so you don't want to find out the day of that someone already promised theirs to another shooter. :) However, if you check out the Appleseed threads, you'll see a request for August for four rifles to borrow, and there were at least 5 or 6 offered. Sooooo, bring them!

And, if you're worried about the fact that they're new shooters, etc, no worries. That's what the instructors are for. They're super helpful. My 21 year old sister (not the 14 year old you've met) went to an Appleseed not having shot a rifle before ever and having shot a pistol only once or twice. They showed her how to work the rifle, and she was shooting nice groups and scored in the 140-150 range by the end of the weekend!

At any rate, when we get Appleseed to NWI, I know the lines will fill! I can't wait!!!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks for the 4-1-1 AuntiBellum. I have 2 rifles right now (AR-7 and the WASR-10) and sometime after 20 AUG (next paycheck) the 10/22.

While I have not made up my mind yet but I was thinking of taking and using the WASR-10 for the appleseed and giving the 10/22 and AR-7 to the new shooters I want to take. At our last MEET & SHOOT I had so much "me time" (since I had no new shooters with me) that I was able to focus on me and the WASR-10 and when I was in the indian-style sitting position and focused I was getting some nice groupings on target!

Been reading up on the appleseed firing techniques and put them to use this last time (breathing, eyes on front sights, pull trigger and ride the recoil, etc..) and I did notice a huge improvement over last time. In addition I was not "afraid" (perhaps not the right word) of the recoil and in looking back my shootings I did well when I removed from my mind the fact that the WASR-10 was going to "kick me". In fact there were 2 times when I did feel the "kick/hurt" and those two shots my aim was off. The other times I was so busy focusing on front site and breathing that I "rode the recoil" so to speak. So that got me thinking that perhaps I am ready to begin to use this rifle as my main practice rifle. Yes ammo is a bit more priecy for the AK than the 10/22 but then again I have about 1,600 rounds of the commie stuff in a crate still that I have been meaning to shoot one day. That will just mean I will have to buy more and more ammo for my rifle. :laugh:

I need to start making a list of new shooters that I can bring the first time out along with the "second string" shooters (people on the fence with guns or have never thought of guns before).

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

INGO Open Carry Cigar Night is on 19 AUG 10
    See here for more info:

See here for more info:

See here for more info:

Appleseed for NWI

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I live right next to the club in Michigan City, but have never joined. I do know one member and will ask him if it is even a possibility.

As an aside...I wanted to join about ten-fifteen years ago. To put it as nicely as I can, the person I had to talk to about it was very unpleasant and in two brief encounters (one trying to buy some reloading equipment from his store, and another just asking about becoming a member of the rifle club) I knew I'd never join that club.

Edit...I asked. He's going to inquire about it and let me know.

Yep I was ready to join until I spoke with Kempf. I will not join a club who sees no reason why anyone needs a "Assault Rifle" (His words not mine). He made it clear that such a rifle would be looked down upon as most members shot bolt action or cowboy style guns.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    GhostofWinter, Check with Marion R from the club, as he has a winter league for .22's at the Izaak Walton League/Glen Park off 53rd and Liverpool, behind the Chevy dealership on 61st and RT. 65. They have trap ranges. There is another range in Griffith across from the airport on Main Street, east of Colfax. :twocents: is all I have.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Yep I was ready to join until I spoke with Kempf. I will not join a club who sees no reason why anyone needs a "Assault Rifle" (His words not mine). He made it clear that such a rifle would be looked down upon as most members shot bolt action or cowboy style guns.

I wasn't going to mention who it was, but yeah, he has probably done more harm to the possible membership of that club than anyone who belongs probably realizes.

Top Bottom