NWI INGO General Post - Part 23 - Its ffffaaarrr 2 go anywhere, pink banjos and raccoon sticker glocks

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Unless you're a 6 year old dying to play in the snow. :rolleyes: I may take him outside to play and check vents and such on a walk around.
    I am not 6 so I have no desire to be out in the snow. Only leaving my house while it is this cold if it is required.

I don't even have any fond childhood memories of days when it was below zero. It's just too cold to enjoy anything.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    Went out and cleared off the driveway, mostly to play with the new back blade on the tractor. It's not too bad outside.... if you're in a heated cab with Bluetooth:rockwoot:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    My entertainment includes watching birds at the feeders trying to fly east only to be pushed by the wind north/south then west. The smart ones are using the trees as wind blocks to make their way east.

Otherwise, it's birds getting pushed coming in hot with the tail wind. Wham

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "Except for emergencies". Does that mean if an ambulance needs to get through, they will call a plow driver at home, ask him to come to work, and send him to clear the way? Sounds efficient.

Well, they probably keep a couple at the garage, playing cards.
    In case fire, police, or ambulance needs them.

It does sound silly as sht.
    I'm out right now, and it's not that bad.
    We have better stuff to deal with cold and snow than previous generations, yet can do less.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Whew baby, in the wind vs out of the wind is a big deal. Unburried the bowel and put some more corn out for the deer. Made sure the vents outside were clear. Shoveled a path for the UPS driver (if he makes it). Kid had a blast in the drifts on the west side of the house out of the wind.

Nephew called asking if we could go shooting over new year's. I asked what in particular he was wanting to fire. UZI, Luger, AK, shotgun, ... I think I'll add a couple more he's likely to enjoy.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Whew baby, in the wind vs out of the wind is a big deal. Unburried the bowel and put some more corn out for the deer. Made sure the vents outside were clear. Shoveled a path for the UPS driver (if he makes it). Kid had a blast in the drifts on the west side of the house out of the wind.

Nephew called asking if we could go shooting over new year's. I asked what in particular he was wanting to fire. UZI, Luger, AK, shotgun, ... I think I'll add a couple more he's likely to enjoy.
    You can feed deer there?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm out right now.
    :)

My Nativity angel is down.
    I guess when I get back I need to put guy lines on her

The angel is gonna have to wait.
    Tried to tie guy lines on, but you can't wear gloves to tie knots, or at least I can't.
    And trying to hold it up... and my freezing fingers,
    She's safer on the ground for now.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    The Indiana State Police is discouraging motorists from travel on eastbound I-94 to and into Michigan.

At 2:24 p.m. today, Friday, Dec. 23, troopers were at the scene of a tanker rollover near the Burns Harbor exit. The ISP called it a “hazardous material situation requiring the offload of its contents, sodium hydroxide,” and said that the roadway will not be re-opened until the tanker is emptied and removed. “There is no timetable for this event to be completed.”

Sodium hydroxide is also known as caustic soda or lye and is often used in soaps.

Meanwhile, I-94 is currently closed in Michigan at the Niles exit, No 4. “From our understanding, it is due to numerous crashes and weather.” The ISP’s main concern: motorists could be stranded in their vehicles—“in arctic temperatures”—should traffic back up into Indiana, “creating an extremely dangerous situation for everyone.” The ISP hasn’t been advised when I-94 in Michigan may be re-opened “but we don’t anticipate its being anytime soon.”

Finally, troopers working active crash scenes on I-94 and I-65 have been observing motorists who “are failing to slow down,” even as they pass “spin-outs and crashes,” the ISP said. One trooper at the Lowell Post and three at the Indianapolis Post have been struck already. “Motorists’ failing to use care while driving compounds the dangerous road conditions. Again, please delay any nonessential traffic in Northwest Indiana.”

Needless to say, traffic around here has picked up.
    Screenshot_20221223-150103_Maps.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well the furnace is NOT running at full potential but it is running. There is a vacuum/condensation trap/switch thing . . . can't remember what it is called, but it keeps over-flowing with condensation every 3 or so hours.

Temperature is still -1(F) according to my weather stations.

This is a recurring problem with my furnace, usually on very very cold days. At this point I am not worried that I need a service call. Mostly I'm tired from getting up so damn early. And probably won't get a lot of sleep tonight as I expect this problem to continue until we get slightly warmer temps. I think it is a design flaw of the system? In any case, we are in pretty good shape. Having multiple fire places helps. The furnace is currently blowing out plenty of hot air . . . at least for the moment.

Going to roast some chicken and some cauliflower for dinner.

Things could be a lot worse. House is currently 66. We are warm enough. We have food. We are fortunate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom