NWI INGO General Post Part 20 - Raccons 4 Life!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    After a lot of soul searching I think I'm going to stay with AT&T. Once the Comcast promo rate expires, I'm within a few dollars of what I'm paying AT&T. Sucks about the fact that they switched me from analog to VoiP, but no choice. If I went to Comcast, my phone jacks in the house would be totally unusable. At least now, I can still plug a phone in and it will work as long as internet is up. I like the option to plug a corded phone in because Mom sometimes gets confused with cordless or cell phones now as far as which buttons to press. Please no mean comments... it is what it is.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    After a lot of soul searching I think I'm going to stay with AT&T. Once the Comcast promo rate expires, I'm within a few dollars of what I'm paying AT&T. Sucks about the fact that they switched me from analog to VoiP, but no choice. If I went to Comcast, my phone jacks in the house would be totally unusable. At least now, I can still plug a phone in and it will work as long as internet is up. I like the option to plug a corded phone in because Mom sometimes gets confused with cordless or cell phones now as far as which buttons to press. Please no mean comments... it is what it is.

If you havn't already, now would be a good time to get a battery backup for your internet box, and anything else your signal depends on.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We have a NG backup generator.
    As do I. But the internet has to go through its reset when the grid goes down. As that happens the NG generator starts, but in the mean time the internet is lost and the phone goes down. Depending upon how long it takes your internet takes to reinitialize itself you are out of phone during that period. Of course if it is an emergency you can use your cell phone.

But a small battery back up unit that is large enough to support your internet box for about 2 minutes is all you need to keep the phone service/internet service working continuously. Seriously it can be a very small battery back up so not a giant expensive system. It only needs to power your internet box and possibly your wifi (they may be combined devices) for the short time it takes your NG generator to fire up.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    As do I. But the internet has to go through its reset when the grid goes down. As that happens the NG generator starts, but in the mean time the internet is lost and the phone goes down. Depending upon how long it takes your internet takes to reinitialize itself you are out of phone during that period. Of course if it is an emergency you can use your cell phone.

But a small battery back up unit that is large enough to support your internet box for about 2 minutes is all you need to keep the phone service/internet service working continuously. Seriously it can be a very small battery back up so not a giant expensive system. It only needs to power your internet box and possibly your wifi (they may be combined devices) for the short time it takes your NG generator to fire up.
    Yep. This is one of the ones I have around the house
    Amazon product ASIN B004OR0V2C

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

^^^^ Exactly this. It's called UPS - Uninterrupted Power Supply - which means your modem, etc... don't even flicker off when the power goes out. And if you spend a little more, say $100, you can plug a lot of stuff into it and have no interruptions to your TV/internet/computer/phone. I have about a dozen or so of these protecting various computers and such.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Chatted with Comcast this morning. Not thrilled about paying $14/mo to rent a router. I could buy one for about $175. After intruductory promo year, I'll be back within about $7 of what I'm paying AT&T. Not sure it's worth switching.
    Your internet will be about a hundred times faster though

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom