NWI INGO General Post Part 18 - Legal now!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    When St. Mark's got the Commodore PET computers for the computer lab I donated a bunch of software. I'm sure you remember software on tape and LOGO.

We weren't fans of the chinese place, but I remember Mallicks for school uniforms.
    Yep. I taught BASIC on those Commodore Pets (some were CBM's) with the tape drives. To kids grade 3-8 on Ridge Rd, 11th Ave, 7th Ave, EC, and Miller. Fun times. 23-yr-old Crown Point girl straight out of college. Horrible working conditions. Most of the computer labs were in closets. Traveled to five different schools but had no budget for supplies. One year was enough.
    Does this mean the 3 of us can nerd out about computers?! I’m not a programmer, but I’ve got 15 years in the IT industry under my belt. As I said in my previous post, I make my living as a Systems Administrator; jack of all trades, master of none...

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Does this mean the 3 of us can nerd out about computers?! I’m not a programmer, but I’ve got 15 years in the IT industry under my belt. As I said in my previous post, I make my living as a Systems Administrator; jack of all trades, master of none...
    I am at best a minor geek. Never did much computer work for pay, but I used to build my own systems and I've never had to ask for help connecting any computer, stereo or TV equipment even though I'm a person of much experience.

I started with Commodore 64s and still have a bunch of old Commodore equipment in boxes. I actually saw Jim Butterfield speak at a computer show.

I remember dial up modems, the services they connected to, and dial up BBS systems. I remember using Veronica and Archie for searches.

Computers were the thing I spent too much money on before guns.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I never got paid much for computer work either. Only teaching the kids BASIC one year, and that was like herding cats. Then I switched to teaching math at Ivy Tech, and did that for 29 years (ten years part time at IUN). I have built systems also, and I can figure a lot of things out. My computer knowledge mostly comes from the school of "I wonder what will happen if I press this?"

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    I make numbers move around with code for a living -- also a former math teacher @Snapdragon

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    I also am in the IT field now. Mostly hardware, PC and server building. A little network admin and low voltage wire running as well. Was a firefighter and medic in the Army, so jack of all trades and master of none as well.

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    I am at best a minor geek. Never did much computer work for pay, but I used to build my own systems and I've never had to ask for help connecting any computer, stereo or TV equipment even though I'm a person of much experience.

I started with Commodore 64s and still have a bunch of old Commodore equipment in boxes. I actually saw Jim Butterfield speak at a computer show.

I remember dial up modems, the services they connected to, and dial up BBS systems. I remember using Veronica and Archie for searches.

Computers were the thing I spent too much money on before guns.
    Ah, the good ol' BBS days.

I had a Commodre 64 when I was real young, but it wouldn't be until the early 90s I got into computers proper. My life hasn't been the same since!
    My computer knowledge mostly comes from the school of "I wonder what will happen if I press this?"
    That's where I got my start. Haha!

QBasic was the first programming language I got into, then maybe Visual Basic? I don't quite remember at this point. :-| In College I had to take a C++ programming course. I'm not a programmer, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have to program (more scripting than anything) from time to time in my role.

I make numbers move around with code for a living -- also a former math teacher @Snapdragon
    I'd say that counts!
    I also am in the IT field now. Mostly hardware, PC and server building. A little network admin and low voltage wire running as well. Was a firefighter and medic in the Army, so jack of all trades and master of none as well.
    Rock on! What's in your main rig?

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Ah, the good ol' BBS days.

I had a Commodre 64 when I was real young, but it wouldn't be until the early 90s I got into computers proper. My life hasn't been the same since!

That's where I got my start. Haha!

QBasic was the first programming language I got into, then maybe Visual Basic? I don't quite remember at this point. :-| In College I had to take a C++ programming course. I'm not a programmer, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have to program (more scripting than anything) from time to time in my role.

I'd say that counts!

Rock on! What's in your main rig?
    I'll be honest, I hate computers. I have one at the house that probably hasn't been turned on in a year. So if you want to know my rig...it would be a work rig. I'm with @2A_Tom ...I like shooting.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Of course, but other interests help when ammo is short. You know, like being online and discussing shooting.
    Completely agree, but my reloading hobby helps with my shooting hobby... I work at the family business now, (IT) and tried to escape from it for 9 year going to the Army. Apparently had a heart issue when I got out and found myself back into the family business because firefighting was off the table. When the only computers you get to mess with are all broken...doesn't allow too much room for enjoying them. But it pays the bills, have a pretty open schedule to assist in kids sporting teams, and allows for me to purchase firearm related products!

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    have a pretty open schedule to assist in kids sporting teams,
    I started out helping with my wife's teams and then my daughter's teams and ended up spending over 40 years involved in softball. It can be rewarding and frustrating. Glad I did it though.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Have you called them and asked for a better price?

Our experience is all of the trash companies get as a customer and then keep jacking up the price unless you call them on it.
    So I called Republic, they said I already had a discount applied to my account. So I closed it out. They wanna charge $30 to pick up their bin too, but I can drop it off in CP no charge.

I called Indiana waste services, got trash AND recycling for $104/quarter. Republic was $450/quarter for trash+recycling. I dropped recycling years ago and just dropped off at the county spots but they closed those down so everything's been trash. Would be $66 quarterly if I didn't take recycling.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I called Indiana waste services, got trash AND recycling for $104/quarter. Republic was $450/quarter for trash+recycling...
    I have waste only from Indiana Waste Services. No complaints...well, none other than the fact that where the pick up is about 400 yards from my garage, but that's on me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom