• Status
    Not open for further replies.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    In other news, I want a motorcycle. I've only ever ridden a dirtbike though, aside from the obvious differences like suspension, ride height, contending with dbags on the road, etc, are they basically the same to operate?

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Yea, just remember to gtfo of my way and don't make me responsible for your safety and we cool.

I like bikers as much as I like truckers. And I hate truckers.

Except for Larry cause I never have to be around him cause his trucks always broke or he's on the road just as I'm going to bed LOL

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    In other news, I want a motorcycle. I've only ever ridden a dirtbike though, aside from the obvious differences like suspension, ride height, contending with dbags on the road, etc, are they basically the same to operate?

Operations are basically the same.

Strongly recommend you take a motorcycle safety class. Calumet Harley Davidson has a good one. My wife and I finally took one last year. We've ridden illegally (no license for years) but planned a trip to Canada (we went this year) and wanted to be legal for that trip. Not only do they teach you how to ride a motorcycle on a Harley Street 500, they also teach you a lot of safety stuff. About 1/2 of the people in our class of 12 were experienced motorcycle rides who got caught or just wanted to become legal. My wife and I are long time scooter riders with scooters large enough to be classified as motorcycles (150cc and interstate legal, but unlicensed). We also owned a 700cc Honda, which was licensed and insured but ridden without an operators license. Everything is legal now, including both of us. Our class was taught by 2 retired motorcycle cops who were funny and didn't give a s#!t that most of the class was riding illegally. They just wanted us all to be safe and learn the stuff.

We had classroom and on motorcycle instruction. Lots of practice. And then we actually took the driving test under their supervision, walked into the license bureau, paid a few $ and walked out with a motorcycle endorsement on our license. Also qualified for an insurance discount.

FWIW we ended up buying another Honda. So we have a 700 and a 750. Earlier this summer we rode them up the coastline of Lake Michigan, over the Mackinac Bridge, up to the shore of Lake Superior, all the way around Lake Superior, over to Lake Huron, along the north shore of Huron and down to Lake Ontario, then all the way around Lake Ontario to Lake Erie, along the shoreline of Erie and then back home. Did that in about 3.5 weeks.

So the class was worth it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Forgot to mention, both of the Honda motorcycles have the new DCT transmission. Basically automatics. Totally awesome. I never want a manual motorcycle again, especially in traffic. On a highway or rural road it doesn't make much difference, but in city/urban traffic the DCT is the best invention since sliced bread.

The bikes are dual sport adventure style bikes, capable on the streets and also for light off road. Not hard core off road, but gravel roads, dirt roads, etc. My wife rode though a corn field without getting stuck. But easily will run at 70mph all day too.

fullsizeoutput-7098.jpg

A2ic-Vc-SYTzu-6t55-G7-Uh-Zw.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

The abate course teaches the same and you also can walk into your branch and out with your license as well as an insurance discount.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've looked into it that class. I wanted to, but I'd have to either:

•Do it when I'm gonna be on midnights, which is difficult to anticipate because I think my foreman is too preoccupied with figuring out why the square block won't fit in the round hole to actually figure out a rotation, and I don't get my schedule for the following week until Thursdays

•Wait until I have vacation time again next year.

And I was thinking a Honda Shadow

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yea, just remember to gtfo of my way and don't make me responsible for your safety and we cool.

I like bikers as much as I like truckers. And I hate truckers.

Except for Larry cause I never have to be around him cause his trucks always broke or he's on the road just as I'm going to bed LOL

While I'm sure that a significant portion of bike accidents are the fault of the rider, I've also seen more than a few close calls where the person driving the car simply had their head too far up their own butt to pay attention, usually F-ing with food, coffee, and cell phones or driving while female.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I've looked into it that class. I wanted to, but I'd have to either:

•Do it when I'm gonna be on midnights, which is difficult to anticipate because I think my foreman is too preoccupied with figuring out why the square block won't fit in the round hole to actually figure out a rotation, and I don't get my schedule for the following week until Thursdays

•Wait until I have vacation time again next year.

And I was thinking a Honda Shadow

Sign a posting to Iron bro.
    4 on 4 off schedule is like a sore D***.
    Its tough to beat.
    And I can make a schedule.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Operations are basically the same.

Strongly recommend you take a motorcycle safety class. Calumet Harley Davidson has a good one. My wife and I finally took one last year. We've ridden illegally (no license for years) but planned a trip to Canada (we went this year) and wanted to be legal for that trip. Not only do they teach you how to ride a motorcycle on a Harley Street 500, they also teach you a lot of safety stuff. About 1/2 of the people in our class of 12 were experienced motorcycle rides who got caught or just wanted to become legal. My wife and I are long time scooter riders with scooters large enough to be classified as motorcycles (150cc and interstate legal, but unlicensed). We also owned a 700cc Honda, which was licensed and insured but ridden without an operators license. Everything is legal now, including both of us. Our class was taught by 2 retired motorcycle cops who were funny and didn't give a s#!t that most of the class was riding illegally. They just wanted us all to be safe and learn the stuff.

We had classroom and on motorcycle instruction. Lots of practice. And then we actually took the driving test under their supervision, walked into the license bureau, paid a few $ and walked out with a motorcycle endorsement on our license. Also qualified for an insurance discount.

FWIW we ended up buying another Honda. So we have a 700 and a 750. Earlier this summer we rode them up the coastline of Lake Michigan, over the Mackinac Bridge, up to the shore of Lake Superior, all the way around Lake Superior, over to Lake Huron, along the north shore of Huron and down to Lake Ontario, then all the way around Lake Ontario to Lake Erie, along the shoreline of Erie and then back home. Did that in about 3.5 weeks.

So the class was worth it.
    I was gonna post something about the Calumet HD class, but that about sums it up. Did you have Greg and Ken? They were great instructors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom