• Status
    Not open for further replies.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Morning everyone. The new guy at work called off his 2nd time in two weeks. Guess the boss is gonna start looking for another one. I swear yesterday the new guy was complaining about the new generation just needing the chance and their foot in the door.
    seems pretty typical nowadays, we go through general service people (oil changes, tires, tire repairs etc.) like crazy, it pays 17-20hr PLUS commission which makes hitting 25-30hr real easy, M-F 8-5 climate controlled etc. Most hires under 30 are gone within 6 months and most don't even have a job lined up, just the whole working thing's not for them. We do have two under 30's guys here currently that buck that trend though, hard workers and show up on time 3-4 days a week at least.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Pants pooping was never in the equation and I get more satisfaction out of the emotional trauma and possible lung damage caused by people smelling my turds than I do from the money made birthing them.
    You obviously aren’t sitting on the toilet long enough. The longer you sit the more you make. Make it number 2.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Some of the best working most reliable people I've met at the mill have been in the 19-25 range. Thing is, if they're not they tend to be a total opposite end of the spectrum, waste of oxygen, bag of crap like that guy.
    I can't say he is a bag of crap. When he is here, he can be fire. I've seen it. But 4/5 days of being fire is still only 4/5 days.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    .......hard workers and show up on time 3-4 days a week at least.
    Coming from a career where if you weren't 100% early every day for 20yrs you were fired,.......that sounds completely foreign. The motto was:

"If you're early, you're on time. If you're on time, YOU ARE LATE. IF YOU ARE LATE YOU ARE FIRED!"

If we were supposed to meet in the lobby at 2am to start our trip and you weren't there by 1:45 people started looking for you. If you consistently showed up at 1:58 you were reported. If you showed up at 2:10 more than once without a GOOD excuse,......you were gone.

I once set an alarm on the hotel room clock and left a wakeup call with the desk. Power went out at the hotel during the night and dumped both of those but I had also set my alarm on my travel clock but being as that I was on the wrong side of the planet I had accidentally set it 12hrs out of seqence after having been awake for 36hrs+. Even with all that my 'internal clock' woke me up in time to make the flight if a little rushed. If I had been late none of that would have been considered a GOOD excuse and I'd have risked some sort of punishment if not loss of my job. Started carrying two travel alarms after that and setting one like an egg timer rather than trying to figure out what time it was were I happened to be.

Last edited:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Coming from a career where if you weren't 100% early every day for 20yrs you were fired,.......that sounds completely foreign. The motto was:

"If you're early, you're on time. If you're on time, YOU ARE LATE. IF YOU ARE LATE YOU ARE FIRED!"

If we were supposed to meet in the lobby at 2am to start our trip and you weren't there by 1:45 people started looking for you.
    Being on time takes zero talent. But people still can't do it.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I didn't put the garbage out today. Can's only half full, and I'd rather wait til next week than chase my garbage and can all over the cul de sac. Bad enough that I'm going to have everyone else's garbage in my yard.
    I have 'ballast garbage'. I store all the lightweight garbage in the garage until I have enough heavy garbage in the bottom of the bin to keep it from tipping over in the wind and then I fill it with the fluffy stuff. Seven cats give me a good 50# of cat litter every week to keep things stable. At least they're good for something,........(just kidding kitties).

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I have 'ballast garbage'. I store all the lightweight garbage in the garage until I have enough heavy garbage in the bottom of the bin to keep it from tipping over in the wind and then I fill it with the fluffy stuff. Seven cats give me a good 50# of cat litter every week to keep things stable. At least they're good for something,........(just kidding kitties).
    You mean beside chow-mein?

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Being on time takes zero talent. But people still can't do it.
    They haven't been made to do it,.....no accountability. I've been retired for ten yrs and the clocks in my cars are still set 5 minutes ahead of actual time. If I tell someone I will be at such and such a place at 4 PM, whether it's local or a thousand miles away, I will be there at exactly 4 PM every time. Because I'll leave early and get there early. I can't stand the idea of someone waiting on me or wondering where I am. My record for punctuality is being on time to purchase a dozer I committed to over the phone. Told the guy if he could hold it for me until he opened on Monday morning I'd be there to buy it. I drove 2200 miles in 36hrs flat and was standing there when he opened.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    Not to stray too far away from the punctual poop talk but, left the great Porter county for two days in a row to hit Terpstras in Griffith. Could’ve gone bad when I found out it is a 3.5% charge for using cc/debit, after they took saw in back to add gas and oil. Luckily, I remembered I had a checkbook in the truck. First Echo chainsaw yesterday had issues, they were great on trading it back in on new one today. Other than driving to Lake county twice, pretty good experience with the people there. I’d go back, hopefully not for any work to be done on this saw anytime soon….

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Since covid started jedi has had the pleasure of getting to poop in SUPER CLEAN aka the toilet water still has the blue tint in it since the building has so few people in it. There are more stalls then people so always a clean toilet now a days. :)

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Holy chit! That is a lot of cat litter. Have you tried just throwing them outside?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom