NTSB wants ignition interlock technology in all new vehicles.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I posted about this awhile back, the mandatory technology to monitor you and potentially pull over for you if it thinks you are drunk or tired. I'm thinking my next truck may be my last truck. I'm still not a huge fan of the idea of OTA updates, but I've at least learned you can disable them so it's not the poison pill I was afraid it would be.
    For now....

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They tried something like that with the seat belt system in 1974. I bought a new car and the service manager came running out as I was about to drive off. He told me that the "drive it off the truck bypass" as he called it was still in bypass. I told him that I always wear my seat belt anyway so I don't need that thing connected. Very nicely he smiled, and told me to enjoy my new car.

Like the ability to bypass the seat belt interlock of 1974, someone will find a way to bypass any blow job to make your car run device.

As to those worried about the feds being able to shut your car down, every GM car with OnStar can be shut down, the doors locked and windows closed just by an over the net command at any time. Would guess that virtually every modern car has the same ability. Especially cars that have control module software that can be updated by remote command.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just more complexity and one more thing to go wrong.

Also, I know a guy who several years ago had a DUI and as a condition of getting his driver's license back, had to install one of these in his car for a time.

While a good idea in theory for some people, they don't always work as intended, and sometimes leave the driver stranded even though they haven't consumed any alcoholic beverages.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Thus driving up the cost of a new vehicle even further. And. . . . . . with the correct chip in an EV they can shut your vehicle down for as long as they choose.

They can already do that with ON Star cars, and probably most of the newest computerized cars.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    But, but, but...its for safety!

Don't you want your government to make our society safer through mandates and controls? :rolleyes:

Don't forget automated speed controls too!

I wonder when everyone will realize they will be safest when restricted to government run institutions, swaddled in bubble wrap inside padded cells with no access to sharp objects or interactions with other human beings.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you weren't such a jerk when it came to cops, I'd have you do a ride-along. But since you're a jerk, you'll just have to make up lies about what you think I do at work.
    that’s a weird way to invite me on a ride along but I’m sure we could be Besty‘s if you want to try

My position Leo’s have a publicity and public image problem remains the same, however As time passes I’m thinking that problem is manufactured by tptb as part of a larger plot and longer term goal.

I’m sure this nanny state interlock device is going to automatically call 911 when somebody fails and you’re going to be expected to go arrest them for attempted DUI and you’re gonna look like the bad guy.

The next thing you know we got cell phone videos on YouTube with a cop trying to do his job dealing with a drunk person who was just trying to do the right thing but man does it look bad…..

To further clarify my positions/viewpoints: not all local, county, state Leo’s are bad. Most are probably nice guys trying to do a **** job few want and even fewer are capable of doing well. A lot of police image problems need solved by people way above the officers on patrol by making your job, and the laws less murky. State and federal legislature should be amending laws to reflect new Supreme Court cases and their interpretations of the laws to make everything consistent instead they pass the buck onto the line officer to figure it all out and be an expert legal scholar, it’s messed up. **** feds though. Waste of resources utilized to further political goals by trampling on the constitution.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I’m sure this nanny state interlock device is going to automatically call 911 when somebody fails and you’re going to be expected to go arrest them for attempted DUI and you’re gonna look like the bad guy.
    Now this is just silly. I don't think there's any such thing as "attempted DUI". If I get drunk, leave my keys in the house and go out and sit in my car in the driveway, is that "attempted DUI"? Of course not. Getting into a car, blowing positive into a device that causes the vehicle not to start is effectively the same as leaving the keys in the house.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I work in the industry and am currently working on 2025 model year vehicles. I just started a quote on the upcoming Jeep Recon.

Part of what I do is fun but for me personally, as time goes on I'm more drawn to "older" stuff. Right now I have a '99 XJ Cherokee that is potentially my "retirement" vehicle. The more I see going on with new vehicles, the more I want to make that a reality.

I do know this; Lord willing I will have one more vehicle for my wife and one more for me. She will have a gasoline powered vehicle with minimal bells and whistles and I will have something to get me to the coffee shop to drink coffee with the other old men and back and forth to the range.

If I can find a lightly used Toyota Tacoma with a manual trans, I will sell the Jeep and get that and be done.

I disable as much of the "safety" stuff that I can on my company car. The only thing that I leave on is blind spot monitoring. It's not overly intrusive and doesn't affect the drivability of the car.

You can have adaptive cruise control, lane warnings, etc. I'll take care of that myself.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Now this is just silly. I don't think there's any such thing as "attempted DUI". If I get drunk, leave my keys in the house and go out and sit in my car in the driveway, is that "attempted DUI"? Of course not. Getting into a car, blowing positive into a device that causes the vehicle not to start is effectively the same as leaving the keys in the house.
    This whole thing is silly but if you don’t think that’s a possibility Id say you lack imagination what the nanny state is capable of. 40 years ago If you told somebody what airport security would look like they say that sounds silly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Speaking of overbearing "safety" systems, I thought this was relevant here: guy is being shot at by multiple attackers while in his truck. He tries to floor it and drive off, but apparently some safety system in his car gets triggered by the shots, and his truck stops dead in the water, leaving him a sitting duck as his attackers continue to rain lead on him.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    GM's Onstar shenanigans are well known but lots of things 10-15 years old have comparable tech. Pretty much anything in the last 5-8 years has everything needed to remote control.

Disable the cell antennae and there's no OTA update capability, even if the software is changed.
    Till it says "your software is 6 months out of date. we're disabling infotainment and putting the drivetrain in limp-mode so you can get to the dealer to fix it".

In a few more years it'll be "we can't contact the server to verify your subscription to your car too bad so sad have a nice day"

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    GM's Onstar shenanigans are well known but lots of things 10-15 years old have comparable tech. Pretty much anything in the last 5-8 years has everything needed to remote control.

Till it says "your software is 6 months out of date. we're disabling infotainment and putting the drivetrain in limp-mode so you can get to the dealer to fix it".

In a few more years it'll be "we can't contact the server to verify your subscription to your car too bad so sad have a nice day"
    That's if your ESG score is even high enough to allow you to start it that morning in the first place. ;)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

News clip of cybersecurity experts hacking a jeep for full remote driving 7 years ago. If hackers can do it, you know darn well mfrs can if they choose. Just think of how many systems are electronically/CANbus controlled vs physical links now. Steering, brakes, and door handles are about the only physical links left (for now) and they all have electronic controls stronger than the driver.
    That's if your ESG score is even high enough to allow you to start it that morning in the first place. ;)
    "The server cannot be reached to verify your current ESG score."

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yep, I have a car that would not let you lean down to get out of sight if you are applying the brakes simultaneously. This really sucks if your coffee falls and spills and would be catastrophic if being shot at…

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

News clip of cybersecurity experts hacking a jeep for full remote driving 7 years ago. If hackers can do it, you know darn well mfrs can if they choose. Just think of how many systems are electronically/CANbus controlled vs physical links now. Steering, brakes, and door handles are about the only physical links left (for now) and they all have electronic controls stronger than the driver.

"The server cannot be reached to verify your current ESG score."

Oh, no doubt. Many people would be surprised to learn for at least the last 20 or so years their cars could tell on them with their Delco built black boxes.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    that’s a weird way to invite me on a ride along but I’m sure we could be Besty‘s if you want to try

My position Leo’s have a publicity and public image problem remains the same, however As time passes I’m thinking that problem is manufactured by tptb as part of a larger plot and longer term goal.

The next thing you know we got cell phone videos on YouTube with a cop trying to do his job dealing with a drunk person who was just trying to do the right thing but man does it look bad…..

To further clarify my positions/viewpoints: not all local, county, state Leo’s are bad. Most are probably nice guys trying to do a **** job few want and even fewer are capable of doing well. A lot of police image problems need solved by people way above the officers on patrol by making your job, and the laws less murky. State and federal legislature should be amending laws to reflect new Supreme Court cases and their interpretations of the laws to make everything consistent instead they pass the buck onto the line officer to figure it all out and be an expert legal scholar, it’s messed up. **** feds though. Waste of resources utilized to further political goals by trampling on the constitution.
    Cool story. You could have said all that and left my name out of it.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Speaking of overbearing "safety" systems, I thought this was relevant here: guy is being shot at by multiple attackers while in his truck. He tries to floor it and drive off, but apparently some safety system in his car gets triggered by the shots, and his truck stops dead in the water, leaving him a sitting duck as his attackers continue to rain lead on him.

You make a good point. What if I (god forbid) _need_ to ram another vehicle to get to safety, or accelerator-tackle a mass shooter who's trying to kill me and others? Defense trainers are fond of saying "your car is a weapon," but is it, really...still?

Top Bottom