• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Oh man, the work emails are flying today. They're all about whether we can lengthen traffic stops while running a Triple I on anyone found carrying a handgun.

I can't wait to retire.
    Why would I discuss a firearm during a traffic stop? (Granted, my primary strategy is to avoid traffic stops in the first place...)

I will always maintain my LTCH (it's lifetime, anyway), so you're going to know, regardless. But attitudes like those expressed by your colleagues will only lead people to be less-cooperative, so as not to incur unnecessary, further delay and difficulty during what should be a simple transaction. ("You were going too fast. Here's a piece of paper to sign. Have a good day.")

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This.

I am, however, curious about the legality of running a triple I on someone just to see if they are a proper person simply because they are carrying a handgun.
    What is a "Triple I"?

I'm (obviously) not LEO, and IANAL, but that sure sounds like something that runs afoul of Pinner. Mere possession of a gun, absent more, does not constitute probable cause of a crime being committed (or of the firearm being carried unlawfully).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If only more elected officials would follow this sheriff’s example…so we could more easily figure out who to not vote for.
    I would be embarrassed to put my name on such a grammatically poorly written letter - much less, a letter expressing the views that this one so inarticulately espouses.

Do sheriffs in Alabama not have to pass the twelfth grade?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Or start today and just follow the speed limit. If you leave a few minutes early, you wont be late.
    From what I see, the speed enforcement is only used sporadically when funds are short.
    Another plus is you will drive the speeders nuts and get a good laugh as they angrily flip you the bird when they finally get to pass you.
    One of the best, and unexpected, secondary benefit of going back into consulting 8 years ago and traveling regularly for work: I never get in a hurry, driving anywhere. While driving on the company's (ultimately, the client's) dime, I'm not speeding or otherwise driving recklessly. And when I'm home/with family, I'm not stressing myself out over driving. It's been glorious.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If Florida can get it done in a special session, over half the States in the Union would recognize the Second Amendment as written in regards to handgun carry.

That is an improvement that is measurable.
    The only problem is that Florida is RINO-central, including the high-level RINOs at NRA (e.g. Marion Hammer). They may still have too many Senators like our own Brown and Bray, who keep killing CC legislation.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I would be embarrassed to put my name on such a grammatically poorly written letter - much less, a letter expressing the views that this one so inarticulately espouses.

Do sheriffs in Alabama not have to pass the twelfth grade?
    Jeff Foxworthy: "If you refer to the 8th grade as "my senior year"....... you just might be a redneck."

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    What is a "Triple I"?

I'm (obviously) not LEO, and IANAL, but that sure sounds like something that runs afoul of Pinner. Mere possession of a gun, absent more, does not constitute probable cause of a crime being committed (or of the firearm being carried unlawfully).
    I believe he’s referring to this:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why would I discuss a firearm during a traffic stop? (Granted, my primary strategy is to avoid traffic stops in the first place...)

I will always maintain my LTCH (it's lifetime, anyway), so you're going to know, regardless. But attitudes like those expressed by your colleagues will only lead people to be less-cooperative, so as not to incur unnecessary, further delay and difficulty during what should be a simple transaction. ("You were going too fast. Here's a piece of paper to sign. Have a good day.")

1649088880049.png

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What is a "Triple I"?

Triple I was explained supra, but Pinner was about reasonable suspicion for a stop.

Triple I is important as it shows that cops have multiple avenues to find criminal histories despite the nonsense spouted by Flannelly and Carter. The Supreme Court's new database will be even more inclusive (protective orders, etc.).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Triple I was explained supra, but Pinner was about reasonable suspicion for a stop.

Triple I is important as it shows that cops have multiple avenues to find criminal histories despite the nonsense spouted by Flannelly and Carter. The Supreme Court's new database will be even more inclusive (protective orders, etc.).
    I don't think I explained my thought as articulately as I could have. Being stopped for a traffic infraction is not evidence of criminal activity. Being stopped for the reasonable duration to handle the traffic infraction is lawful. I think extending the duration of the stop by procedurally/automatically running Triple I for any and all traffic stops would likely fall within the reasonable duration of the stop.

Extending the duration of that stop merely to use Triple I as a lawful-carry/proper-person "fishing expedition" after finding out that the driver is armed would therefore run afoul of Pinner, because there would be no evidence of unlawful activity/prohibited possessor based merely on the basis that a driver who committed a traffic infraction possesses a firearm.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I repeat....I am being repetitive.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%