Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I’m trying to wrap my mind around the distinction USCCA makes between “Constitutional” and “permitless” carry. Can anyone clarify this?
    As I'm reading it...
    Constitutional: If you're allowed to own a gun, you're allowed to carry it (modulo if the state cares about open/concealed)
    Permitless: If you meet their "proper person" definition, which is more restrictive than the feds' designation as who is allowed to purchase, then you can carry without a permit.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    LPD secret camera program. Given LPD's history, why is this so unsettling?

Spoke to someone in Marion county with this system. He says the worst thing about it almost always flags an expired tag when he is just on his way to get some lunch.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Oh man, the work emails are flying today. They're all about whether we can lengthen traffic stops while running a Triple I on anyone found carrying a handgun.

I can't wait to retire.
    Isn't that inappropriate since it's a stop for a traffic violation? At least, that's what the YouTube lawyers say...

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Isn’t this illegal in light of Pinner?
    Probably, but if I recall the House testimony from Jan 5th, the one anti-1077 LEO said that people could be questioned if stopped for other reasons. There also seems to be a "they can ask you anything but can't make you answer" policy that makes me rather squeamish.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Probably, but if I recall the House testimony from Jan 5th, the one anti-1077 LEO said that people could be questioned if stopped for other reasons. There also seems to be a "they can ask you anything but can't make you answer" policy that makes me rather squeamish.
    Why are you people talking to cops? We have been over this.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

THIS!

STFU and don’t forfeit your rights

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you

I've never been pulled over, but it still makes me a little uncomfortable.
    - For instance, an officer can order you out of the car a la PA v Mimms. Sure.
    - Roll the full window down, sure. What if the officer requests that all the windows be lowered? Is that required?

I guess my real question is how does a non-lawyer determine what is legally required (since say most people haven't of PvM) versus what is a way for the officer to fish for something?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've never been pulled over, but it still makes me a little uncomfortable.
    - For instance, an officer can order you out of the car a la PA v Mimms. Sure.
    - Roll the full window down, sure. What if the officer requests that all the windows be lowered? Is that required?

I guess my real question is how does a non-lawyer determine what is legally required (since say most people haven't of PvM) versus what is a way for the officer to fish for something?

If a cop gives orders, it's going to be something to be settled in court, not on the side of the road.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I thought there was some kind of law about traffic stops and time someone can be held without probable cause. :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It isn't just ISP, this morning on the South Bend news, they have the St Jos Co Sheriff, whining about it.
    Maybe someone should write an op ed and tell teh St Joe Co Sheriff to suck a big fat d. So to speak. I mean, not literally say that, but have the article, in effect, say that.

Top Bottom