• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Over the years I have read my name in more than several police reports.

Paraphrasing: "Driver advised that he was carrying a handgun but his attorney, Kirk Freeman, told him that he did not need a license as it was black powder pistol. I immediately called my supervisor."

Why does this remind me "True Grit" ...

Mattie Ross: And I will take it up with mine - Lawyer Daggett. And he will make money and I will make money and your lawyer will make money...

Caveman84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    New Albany
    I have never had an issue with the law enforcement personnel and me carrying. Respect goes a long way. Attitude is everything. If the law enforcement officer is a little on the swing between the beans side. Try to defuse the situation with genuine courtesy versus rude tone courtesy. Not what you say but how you say it. Be respectful, be kind. Haven't had an issue yet. I am even covered in tattoos from fingers to toes and drive a blacked out vehicle.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    Could we all just print out a Law Office of Kirk Freeman business card to keep on our person and in vehicles? Then when you do happen to get pulled over just include it with license, registration, proof of insurance, Kirk Freeman business card. This should be required proper :ingo: 'papers'.

On the back should be a check list... 1- keep your mouth shut, 2-refer to #1.

'Lawyer Daggett, Lawyer Daggett, who is this Lawyer Daggett'. Thats a good one. :yesway:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Could we all just print out a Law Office of Kirk Freeman business card to keep on our person and in vehicles? Then when you do happen to get pulled over just include it with license, registration, proof of insurance, Kirk Freeman business card.

Maybe just bumper stickers with your INGO user name and "Client of Kirk Freeman" printed underneath. Then the police would not even bother pulling you over.

True Grit is a great book and both movies are well done.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have never had an issue with the law enforcement personnel and me carrying. Respect goes a long way. Attitude is everything. If the law enforcement officer is a little on the swing between the beans side. Try to defuse the situation with genuine courtesy versus rude tone courtesy. Not what you say but how you say it. Be respectful, be kind. Haven't had an issue yet. I am even covered in tattoos from fingers to toes and drive a blacked out vehicle.

I agree 100%, except for one thing: your premise is based upon getting a reasonable officer, an officer who is professional and has been properly trained on how to conduct a traffic stop. An officer who isn't on a power trip. An officer who always hunting to make a speeding ticket MORE than a speeding ticket.

Most of the few interactions I've had as someone pulled over the officers were always very decent. It has been well over 20 years since I've been pulled over.

All that aside, you NEVER know what is going through the officers mind or his/her emotional state. It is far better to give them nowhere to go. The good officers understand and the not-so-good have just been put on a leash. I was talking about such a situation one time with a FWPD officer on people evoking their right to remain silent at the very beginning of an investigation. He said it was great! He would write in his report that they had fully cooperated, exercised their 5th amendment protection, and that was it. A short report that was turned over to the detectives for them to work with. His paperwork was done!

The reality is that the vast LE interactions go smoothly, and reasonably. There is also the reality that some people get caught, tried and convicted for crimes they didn't commit due to running their mouth. I just finished reading Prof James Duane's book "You Have the Right to Remain Innocent." In it he gives multiple examples of completely people who were incarcerated based upon circumstantial evidence, bad witnesses, AND mostly their running their mouths. Link: <span style="font-family:arial;"><font size="3"><span style="color:#000000;">[video=youtube;gpkc2FZFR5k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpkc2FZFR5k[/video]

It is far better to remain silent until at least you have an attorney. So that if you do want/need to cooperate your attorney can speak for you and then nothing they say can be held against you.

Regards,

Doug

PS - This is a new James Duane video for those who have seen the first one. This one is very good that discusses his new book.

Luka93A

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 28, 2017
    North Vernon
    I was pulled over a few years back, before I had a gun to even carry on me. I did have my LTCH though. The officer spotted the very corner of it and started rattling off question after question trying to get me to admit to having a gun on me. Even though I didn't, and was upfront about it when he asked the first time, he still insisted I was lying. Two more officers showed up and started in on me as well. I kept my cool though, kept giving him the same answer, and he eventually gave me a ticket and went on about his day. Now, I will freely admit that I was speeding. Never tried to deny it and accepted my punishment. Now that I actually carry, I keep that day in mind to keep myself from getting in trouble again. If you don't want an officer's attention, then don't go asking for it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That would absolutely make me not want to say anything either. Again- I'm from a small Texas town where everyone has a gun, and I've been blessed to work for an agency that takes peoples right's seriously. I know larger agencies can unfortunately be more aggressive and(without armchair quarterbacking), go way over the top with what should of been a simple straightforward encounter. There's absolutely zero excuse to what you outlined above though.

Clearly not in the employ of DPS, as evidenced by "agency that takes people's rights seriously."

Rbooher7526

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I was pulled over a few years back, before I had a gun to even carry on me. I did have my LTCH though. The officer spotted the very corner of it and started rattling off question after question trying to get me to admit to having a gun on me. Even though I didn't, and was upfront about it when he asked the first time, he still insisted I was lying. Two more officers showed up and started in on me as well. I kept my cool though, kept giving him the same answer, and he eventually gave me a ticket and went on about his day. Now, I will freely admit that I was speeding. Never tried to deny it and accepted my punishment. Now that I actually carry, I keep that day in mind to keep myself from getting in trouble again. If you don't want an officer's attention, then don't go asking for it.
    Put your hands out the window and tell the officer you are a licensed concealed carry and i am currently carrying. Its rather simple. How do I know? Ive been stopped twice like that. Its keep your hands up, step out of the car, where is you gun located. Get your ticket, here is your gun, have a nice day.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Put your hands out the window and tell the officer you are a licensed concealed carry and i am currently carrying. Its rather simple. How do I know? Ive been stopped twice like that. Its keep your hands up, step out of the car, where is you gun located. Get your ticket, here is your gun, have a nice day.

Put your flame suit on, its about to get hot in here.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

:faint:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Why stop there without inviting him to search you, your vehicle and the browsing history on your phone? :dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

How about we just be quiet?

Top Bottom