• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    Okay so I can’t find any thread on this but can someone explain what the funds from site supporters are actually used for? I’m just curious cause I’d like to be a supporter as well but I also don't want to just line some dudes pockets at no benefit to the site. Like is there a site management fee? Some kind of website licensing fee? I’m genuinely curious.

If this has already been covered somewhere, please point me that way. Thanks
    Update: I’m dumb, there was some good information when you go through the INGO supporter tab to become a supporter.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Okay so I can’t find any thread on this but can someone explain what the funds from site supporters are actually used for? I’m just curious cause I’d like to be a supporter as well but I also don't want to just line some dudes pockets at no benefit to the site. Like is there a site management fee? Some kind of website licensing fee? I’m genuinely curious.

It costs quite a bit to run a web site with this level of traffic. There are expenses for hosting, software and tech help.

Decide whether to pay as a site supporter based on the value you get from the site and whether you want it to continue to be available.

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    It costs quite a bit to run a web site with this level of traffic. There are expenses for hosting, software and tech help.

Decide whether to pay as a site supporter based on the value you get from the site and whether you want it to continue to be available.
    Yeah, the supporter tab had a lot more clarification. Thanks

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    Supporting something that you use for free enjoyment but requires work behind the scenes is something that should be done. Incentivizing it is even better for both the users/managers.

Not everyone thinks their thoughts/opinions are important and need to be expressed on the internet.

Just because someone doesn’t post a ton doesn’t mean they’re a horrible person to do business with or would fail to help a neighbor in need. On the flip side, I am not sure excessive posting makes you anymore trustworthy.

Enjoy the company of people that have similar interests whether that’s reading in the forums, posting, selling/trading, etc.

I think some overcomplicate things by seeking exclusiveness, which may drive people away. If that thought is true, it’s a shame because our sport/hobby needs all the people we can get.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

$20 is pretty cheap for how fast you can recover it with a few classified adds to sell off some of your extra stuff.

Icing on the cake is that you make some great new like-minded local friends.

:ingo:

Lpherr

Occupied
    On the flip side, I am not sure excessive posting makes you anymore trustworthy.
    It's not about trustworthy.
    The more one posts, the better others can get a feel for that person. Their character, personality, honesty, integrity, etc.
    That allows others to determine if someone is trustworthy. I don't feel that a person can be read in 50 posts, but if one can get to 50 posts, without flaming out, they might stick around for more than the classies.

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    It's not about trustworthy.
    The more one posts, the better others can get a feel for that person. Their character, personality, honesty, integrity, etc.
    That allows others to determine if someone is trustworthy. I don't feel that a person can be read in 50 posts, but if one can get to 50 posts, without flaming out, they might stick around for more than the classies.
    You missed the point of my post but confirmed my thoughts.

Morgan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    Yeah, I get that, but I'm pretty sure (as has been said before) some do come for the classies and then wind up staying around for the conversations. I don't think we want to discourage those people. I think the current system is a happy medium. I understand where you're coming from though.

I agree with this as a new guy here, I don’t want to pay straight up I’d rather explore a little more before paying then again I didn’t come for the classified. I was actually Google searching somthing and these forums came up.

I get why you guys do it I really do and I think that it works ok. Savage shooters went to if you want to advertise or sell anything you have to pay. Now you can still buy stuff if you don’t pay but you can’t post any adds. It’s kinda killed that board I must say I use to buy a lot of take off barrels on it anymore it’s pretty slow. I think a good classified board helps keep a forum alive.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I agree with this as a new guy here, I don’t want to pay straight up I’d rather explore a little more before paying then again I didn’t come for the classified. I was actually Google searching somthing and these forums came up.

I get why you guys do it I really do and I think that it works ok. Savage shooters went to if you want to advertise or sell anything you have to pay. Now you can still buy stuff if you don’t pay but you can’t post any adds. It’s kinda killed that board I must say I use to buy a lot of take off barrels on it anymore it’s pretty slow. I think a good forum board helps keep a classified alive.
    FIFY

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I find the site supporter as the best $20 I've paid for entertainment.
    Movies, music, internet... how much do you pay for all that stuff, for a year?

Now how much entertainment does INGO provide in a year?
    Enough that I think it's worth the $20.

But that's just me.

Oh, there's deals, friends, knowledge, and such also.
    But that's just icing on the entertainment cake.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I find the site supporter as the best $20 I've paid for entertainment.
    Movies, music, internet... how much do you pay for all that stuff, for a year?

Now how much entertainment does INGO provide in a year?
    Enough that I think it's worth the $20.

But that's just me.

Oh, there's deals, friends, knowledge, and such also.
    But that's just icing on the entertainment cake.
    You're a bargain at any price, act! :thumbsup:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I think we want to encourage members to actually participate in the forum. Yes some will pay the 20 bucks and only hit the classies, but a lot of members won't deal with them without a good post history to go along with it, so I think raising the bar so to speak might discourage some folks from participating at all. No way I would pay $65 just to be able to buy and sell. Why would I when Gunbroker is free?
    I know this is way back up the river but Gunbroker is only free IF your item doesn't sell. It's a little pricey to use and has become a PITA about collecting taxes and how to price your item. I used to use it quite a bit but it's my last resort now.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    i think it comes down to peoples budgets. For me, if I join a new forum and can participate in the classifieds for under 80 bucks, I pony up every time, then also work my way into forum discussions.

I’m mostly on ingo the last 5 years only for the classifieds, but I still do a decent amount of posting when I’m bored.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I’ve seen several things recently I wouldn’t mind having. Check the poster out and they have 120+/- posts in the classies only. I’ll pass. If you’re not here to be a part of the group and only here to be your online store I’m not interested.
    I just had a fantastic interaction with a guy that had 2 posts, one for the ad and one for the bump.
    Turns out he works in my neighborhood, and he brought it to my house (I know WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE right?) and we did the deal. Turns out we know some of the same people.

Just posting this to show that we don’t know what we don’t know, and this guy was a seasoned shooter and all around good human.

I’m all about the community too, that should be obvious from my post count, but post counts not everything.

Top Bottom