• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I agree that the design engineers @henry must have sniffed too much glue or had dreams of steel I-beams from pictures on uncle billy-bobs lunchbox.
    PA is a great state. my birth place.
    but "clunky or ugly" lookin has nothing to do with treasures. ever

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    and we don't even need to begin with the model names? h01....
    big boy et cetera (actually a burger joint in Pittsburgh. not sure they survive)

Eat'nPark resturant. big-boy was a burger & big plastic statue-like logo.
    been a long time since I ate there....lol

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Yes, I get that. Different strokes for different folks and all... but people act like the Long Ranger is some amazing new and novel design when the BLR has been around for 50 years. Of course the Winchester 1895 and Savage 1899 had the concept covered 120+ years ago.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Another vote for Miroku Winchesters. I have an 1892 in .44 mag, and it really is a fine rifle. Fit and finish are perfect, no wiggle in the lever. If you’re ok with a tang safety (I love them) then it’s about perfect.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    From what I've read online the very newest Marlins seem to have had the fit and finish issues worked out. I've only handled older Winchesters, but keep in mind you're buying the Winchester name not some made in the USA Winchester.

I've got a Legacy 92 in 44mag that's a winchester knock off and it's been a great gun to me and seems to be my lucky gun because it's stacked up a lot of deer for me.

A marlin 45-70 cowboy with the rear tang sight has always been on my want list for guns. Having said that, I really like that Henry's are made in the USA or not at all. The actions I've worked on a Henry have always impressed me, but I have to concede the the Browning BLR's I've worked felt better than the Henry long rangers and I think the BLR's are finished better.

Roadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    Nashville
    It is too easy to buy a vintage Marlin or Winchester and not experience anything but a good experience. A bunch of these guns are sitting around in closets in near unfired condition. The challenge is being patient and present when these rifles become available.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have three Henrys and like them. The centerfire is a bit heavier than my Marlin, but gets out of the safe a lot more because the .410 is more useful to me than the .44.

I think my next one will be a 336, but any of them in 30-30 will do.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It is too easy to buy a vintage Marlin or Winchester and not experience anything but a good experience. A bunch of these guns are sitting around in closets in near unfired condition. The challenge is being patient and present when these rifles become available.

Every so often one of my favorite searching on gunbroker is "winchester pre 30-30" and there's a lot of great vintage 30-30's that'll come up from the golden era of their production.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have a few levers in various calibers and love them all. A couple years ago I picked up a Chiappa color case hardened 24" octagon barrel in 45colt to match my 2 Ruger Vaqueros. It is a beautiful gun and the action functions very well. I opted for this vs a new Winchester because of the tang safety they felt they had to add. I wanted it to look more period correct for the 45colt. Price wise they are fairly close. I have a couple older Winchesters in 30-30 and 44 Mag, but both are 70's era.
    I have one new Marlin 336 in 30-30 that seems well built and functions fine. I also inherited a Marlin CB in 45-70 that is also great fun to shoot.
    I want to add a 357 to the herd but I haven't decided on another Chiappa or a new Winchester. I have heard good things about the new rifles fit and finish.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The 73 has no Tang safety

I was going to get rid of the tang safety on my 1894, but then I had a ND with one of my Henrys while hunting. I was thumbing the hammer back down after deciding not to take a shot. It was cold and rainy and my thumb slipped off the hammer. It was pointed down in a safe direction of course, but it made me rethink getting the kit to remove it.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I was going to get rid of the tang safety on my 1894, but then I had a ND with one of my Henrys while hunting. I was thumbing the hammer back down after deciding not to take a shot. It was cold and rainy and my thumb slipped off the hammer. It was pointed down in a safe direction of course, but it made me rethink getting the kit to remove it.

Being a lefty I appreciate a Tang safety. My Winchester 94AE in .44mag has one. None of my other levers do. I'm currently looking for a Winchester 94 in .38-55. They come with a Tang safety now. Really nice guns though.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I don't think you could go wrong with either. You might consider what you are going to use it for, if you you are hunting with it, you may want to go Marlin to keep the price down as the gun will see some wear. If it is mostly for the range, maybe the Winchester is a nice option as it could be more collectible down the road???

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I have 9 Winchester 94's (older ones) and 1 Henry. The Winchesters are much higher in fit and finish. Started collecting shortly after they discontinued production. They have doubled in price since then.

Tapout4892

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Albany
    I have had several lever guns through the years. Winchester I’ve had a lot of the older ones. The newest one I had was a 94ae in 3030. Beautiful rifle shot great. Marlin 336 in 3030 I have only one and it’s an older one. It was made in 62. The new marlins I don’t really look at due to the quality on some are eh. I also have had a Rossi 357 large loop short barreled. It was pretty fun to shoot. Would take any reloads I could throw in it.

Top Bottom