New Federal PUNCH .22LR Self Defense ammo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Watched 22 Plinkster video and tried to order some soon after your post, but DENIED!
    Would be interested in seeing how this bullet performs out of various length barrels and reliability in cycling semi autos, especially finicky ones.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Watched 22 Plinkster video and tried to order some soon after your post, but DENIED!
    Would be interested in seeing how this bullet performs out of various length barrels and reliability in cycling semi autos, especially finicky ones.
    My guess is that this is basically a flat nosed CCI Stanger'.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was sure hoping that you'd come along to address this.

How irresponsible is it of Federal to name their .22LR ammo of any sort "personal defense"?

They also sell .410 shot as 'personal defense', so why not? Neither is worth much more than a starter pistol when fired from a handgun. If it's literally all your hands can withstand due to injury or arthritis, etc, you may have to accept the huge trade off of using something that won't break a bone, can be deflected by teeth, is defeated my minimal intermediate barriers (like forearms), and will have very slow physical incapacitation times even with a decent circulatory system hit.

You gain a lot by stepping up to the .380. Even more to the 9mm. After that it's kind of angels on pinheads. That said, I'm sure they'll sell a ton, and just like selling empty fire extinguishers it'll never be a problem for the vast majority of purchasers. I'll stick with 9mm/.38+P and up.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I don’t know, I think there’s a place for it. If someone is going to carry a .22, they might as well carry the most optimized ammo they can get for it. If this is that ammo, so be it.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    c783c8d4266f54ee78c235f184396c77_w200.gif

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don’t know, I think there’s a place for it. If someone is going to carry a .22, they might as well carry the most optimized ammo they can get for it. If this is that ammo, so be it.

There's no optimizing .22 for self defense except by the marketing department. Will it break bone? Will it reliably penetrate the front of the skull? Will it resist deflection by teeth and round bone? Will it defeat light intermediate barriers and make accepted penetration requirements? Will 27gr vs 40gr do any of that better?

If you're carrying a .22 handgun you've already decided to rely very heavily on psychological stops and given up a lot of territory in terminal ballistics. "Optimizing" isn't going to change that in any meaningful way, with the one exception of reliability.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    There's no optimizing .22 for self defense except by the marketing department. Will it break bone? Will it reliably penetrate the front of the skull? Will it resist deflection by teeth and round bone? Will it defeat light intermediate barriers and make accepted penetration requirements? Will 27gr vs 40gr do any of that better?

If you're carrying a .22 handgun you've already decided to rely very heavily on psychological stops and given up a lot of territory in terminal ballistics. "Optimizing" isn't going to change that in any meaningful way, with the one exception of reliability.
    Just think if you shot 6 22lr rds from a 3" barrel into a bad guy it adds up to the same power as one 9mm rd.

Top Bottom