New Federal PUNCH .22LR Self Defense ammo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I did not watch all of this. (The youtuber is not my favorite) I have no idea how this head compares to an actual head. And this is not with the Punch ammo but CCI Stingers.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You would be surprised at what a 40gr HV 22lr can penetration. I had one penetration a 2x4 at 50 yards flat so 1.5" of penetration at 50 yards. I think that would penetration a forehead but I'm no Dr so I don't know how strong and adults forehead really are.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I read somewhere that .22 kills more people every year than any other caliber. I dont know if thats true but..
    There is shot placement
    Most people that take 2 or 3 .22s to the face will usually cease and desist.
    The FIBS syndrome... (F%#K I been shot)
    Is a thing. I prefer .45 but if all I had was a .22 I would want the most effective .22s I could get.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I don’t know, I think there’s a place for it. If someone is going to carry a .22, they might as well carry the most optimized ammo they can get for it. If this is that ammo, so be it.
    Doubt it. Numbers are pretty bland.

Eley Force is 42 @ 1,250...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Love' em, hate 'em...

Maybe Federal should work as hard to get ammo and ammo components on the store shelves as they do to market "us" this new baloney?

It's almost like they are relishing this series of crisis' that we've been thrown into?

Note - there are 18 Federal self-defense 147gr HST's on my hip right now. The same as every other day. :cool:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I received my order today. The sticker is kinda cool

PXL_20210416_194617066.jpg

And for the record, I have no intentions on carrying a .22 for self defense. I really don't even have a handgun small enough to do so. I only bought it "just because". What has been said about this being a marketing gimmick, yeah probably. Who knows. Maybe one of my rifles will really like it and it will be good for squirrels & critters alike.

Plus is was available. So why not.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I received my order today. The sticker is kinda cool

View attachment 135987

And for the record, I have no intentions on carrying a .22 for self defense. I really don't even have a handgun small enough to do so. I only bought it "just because". What has been said about this being a marketing gimmick, yeah probably. Who knows. Maybe one of my rifles will really like it and it will be good for squirrels & critters alike.

Plus is was available. So why not.
    Give us a range report velocity etc.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Wonder if it could play a defensive role in something like a 10/22 understanding while not ideal, it may allow for someone that really can not shoot anything else options.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Wonder if it could play a defensive role in something like a 10/22 understanding while not ideal, it may allow for someone that really can not shoot anything else options.
    That's what I was using with 40gr HV solid rn. It went through 1.5" of wood at 25 yards I just can't recall what brand it was. Oh it wasn't Winchester or Remington I know that.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Where did you get it and how badly were you molested for it or was it worse than that?:dunno:
    Directly from Federal. It was $10 a box. With tax and shipping, it was about $40. I decided to spend a little of my stimmy dollars on it. Yeah. It was not a bargain by any means but I decided to splurge a bit.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm interested in these for killing hogs, When we butcher we have had several different brands of bullets fail to get in the skull, I had some old solid Winchesters that work good but I'm about out of them

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was able to try a few of these out today. I brought along some Stingers for comparison. Out of my 6" Heritage single action, they shot, sounded like, printed the groups pretty much the same as the Singers. Definitely more "pop" than standard velocity and even high velocity.

I didn't get a chance to try them out in a rifle. Hopefully next time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You would be surprised at what a 40gr HV 22lr can penetration. I had one penetration a 2x4 at 50 yards flat so 1.5" of penetration at 50 yards. I think that would penetration a forehead but I'm no Dr so I don't know how strong and adults forehead really are.
    Out of a handgun or long gun? You'll, of course, get better results with a long gun. Still won't break an adult femur.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I read somewhere that .22 kills more people every year than any other caliber. I dont know if thats true but..
    There is shot placement
    Most people that take 2 or 3 .22s to the face will usually cease and desist.
    The FIBS syndrome... (F%#K I been shot)
    Is a thing. I prefer .45 but if all I had was a .22 I would want the most effective .22s I could get.
    It's BS. Center fire is much more represented.

As far as psychological stops, yup. Of course the same is true, and even more so, of more suitable calibers. Unless you literally can't handle a center fire, it's a false comparison of this vs no gun. It's this vs a better gun/ammo combo.

Top Bottom