• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    So here's the summary of the situation. My wife and I had a very ambitious little 8 lb papillion (Rufus) who loves running off to the neighbor's when he sees their dogs (one small dog, and one very large Shepard mix) roaming around. They are usually very friendly and appear happy to see Rufus. Last night little Rufus went running off towards their direction (I always have to chase after him, keep in mind we live a woods). This time I heard a dreadful scream, and when I reached the neighbors I couldn't find Rufus. The neighbor's dogs were standing around acting like nothing happened. After further searching I found Rufus in the adjacent corn field covered in blood and wreaking of bile. He was still alert, but I knew immediately the situation was dire. The rest of the night was spent at the emergency clinic, where Rufus was put to sleep after determining the internal damage was too severe for a medical miracle. The doctor determined the damage was due to a large dog bite that crushed his abdomen. It was evident that Rufus was laying on his back when he was attacked. This event has been very traumatic for my wife and I.

This is obviously a delicate situation as I have not approached my neighbor yet. We have a baby on the way and I am concerned of said dog, who is allowed to roam freely around the woods. I am not sure where to go from here. Thoughts?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm sorry for your loss, there are few things worse than losing a dog from my experience.

That said, I don't see where your neighbors are responsible when your dog left your property and went to theirs. Had their dogs come on to your property and displayed aggression toward your family or pets that would be a different story entirely.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    all dogs roaming free? Big fish eats little fish. Sorry about the loss of your dog.

Was trying to find a way to say this without sounding insensitive, but I agree. I am SO sorry about the loss of your dog. I have four and they are members of the family. That being said, I would not have let an 8-lb dog run loose near woods or around other loose dogs.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I don't see where your neighbors are responsible when your dog left your property and went to theirs. Had their dogs come on to your property and displayed aggression toward your family or pets that would be a different story entirely.

Regardless of who is or isn't responsible for the situation, I'd talk to the neighbors

I think these sum up the whole situation.

Sorry for your loss. That's got to be tough.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Sorry for your loss but you played a part as well in letting your dog roam free across property lines.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Don't let your baby roam alone in the woods. Solved that problem.
    sorry for the loss of your friend.
    like mentioned before, if your dog was on their property there isn't anything you can do.
    Also yours was technically roaming.
    is there any possibility that a coyote did this and was scared off by the neighbors dogs?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Regardless of who is or isn't responsible for the situation, I'd talk to the neighbors

Talking to your neighbors might be touchy. I'd politely inform them that your dogs MIGHT have killed your little dog.
    With so many Yotes and foxes around it could have been one. IF YOU DID NOT SEE THE ATTACK. I'd hate to see a dog falsely labeled a killer if not the case. Weirder things have happened.
    I lost a ****zu in a similar attack but my dog was free out of it's safe environment. I had to take the blame on that one.
    I was heart broken and it's still a sore spot with me after all these years. I let the dog out.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    like mentioned before, if your dog was on their property there isn't anything you can do.
    is there any possibility that a coyote did this and was scared off by the neighbors dogs?
    I thought about the yote scenario as well.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County

This, that was the 1st thing that ran through my mind.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I'm sorry this happened to you.

Sadly, I don't think there is much you can say to the neighbors when your dog was also running loose.

I understand the concern about your child. As it gets older and will be playing outside, a visiting dog is definitely a threat. And no one ever thinks their dog will do anything like that. This probably isn't the time, though. You had a dog running loose also and it's tough to expect him to now keep his dog home.

ETA: Think carefully about having a dog that small out in the rural areas. Even just being away from you in the yard, hawks and coyotes both frequently take small dogs.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Sorry for your loss OP.

I would look into a fence of some sort. My parents live out in the country, and have a chain link fence, AND an invisible fence. They have 2 large Rottweilers, both 150lbs, and the fence is to keep them in and keep other dogs out. Just so nothing like this happens to them.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    Tell your neighbors you are sorry for any unintended stress that it has caused them and let them know that you do not hold them at fault. Just as you need to be responsible for your gun you need to be responsible for your dog. The loss of a pet is never easy and I am sorry this has happened.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I agree pretty much with what skinnfluff said I don't think your neighbors are in any way at fault here but they do need to be told in a tactful way. (Maybe) for all you know something like this has happened before and not telling them could be a mistake.

Sorry about the loss of your dog.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

Or Great horned owl? 8# is not a problem for a large raptor. If it had been the other dogs they might have not been just standing there..

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Leaving your animals outside unattended can have unattended consequences................. be responsible..... they are counting on you to keep them safe.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The pieces just aren't fitting for a dog attack, you probably scared the coyote that grabbed and carried your dog to the cornfield off before he could finish your dog off.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom