• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IMO 5 shots of .38 would have preformed about the same. Looks to me that the first few rounds did the job.
    Humans are tough animals if you don’t hit a “off” switch the keep ticking for awhile.

Dude was having a episode may have had some drugs or such in his system.

Listen to people that have had to shoot humans.
    Here is a guy that survived 19 gunfights. He used a revolver!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    IMO 5 shots of .38 would have preformed about the same. Looks to me that the first few rounds did the job.
    Humans are tough animals if you don’t hit a “off” switch the keep ticking for awhile.

I have the book of him around here somewhere. It was great reading. We will note the FBI or most agencies for that matter no longer teach people to shoot the way he did. It worked for him because of his fantastic abilities, but is hard to transfer to normal people.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I bet shooting with “Jelly“ was like shooting with Gabe White.
    I will sing Gabe's praises at every opportunity. I followed him for years as he posted his training journal as OrigamiAK. He put in tons of smart, hard work. His was one of the best classes I have taken, and I have taken a LOT.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That would be an interesting conversation, now that we've settled the revolver question.

:):

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I wouldn't have shot him either:

For *me* this is not a gun problem to begin with. I know exactly what I'd do because I'm bigger, younger, stronger, almost certainly more trained and practiced at violence, and have done it before. I would have no issue knocking him on his ass with a surprise takedown as he's slowly advancing and then controlling him on the ground. Due to policy I can't choke him out, but I can still ground and pound as necessary. 20 years from now me may have a very different way to have to deal with it, but that's ok, but let's not overlook that the hardware in the guy's hand isn't what's making the day here.

I remember when this video made the rounds the first time. It's a suicide by cop, he's not actively assaulting the officeras much as he's goading him to shoot him in a 'suicide by cop' IMO. Slowly advancing, escalating, essentially demanding he be shot.

THIS is not ideal, an entangled fight with an uncontrolled suspect and your finger deep in the trigger guard:

I don't fault the deputy who was actually there in the slightest, particularly given his apparent physical ability and who knows what sort of training he's received. It's obviously a legal shoot and, IMO, an ethical one for the acutal participant. Disparity of force tilts heavily in the opposite direction for me, though.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

If I remember correctly. This guy came back no alcohol or drugs in his system. I would say it's definitely an episode, guessing mental something. As BBL said it is a pretty clear suicide by cop.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Welllll, since you felt the NEED to quote and respond to my post, please let me retort. Your FEELINGS aside, anybody that needs the www or a u tube video to justify there opinion and cannot make a cognizant argument with (there own) words and or experience doesn’t merit my time debating with. And unless you can produce your CIB or a badge, maybe both, you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. Most fellows live ordinary lives and do not post bravado about my gun is better than your gun because blah, blah, blah. Sorry I posted, hope I didn’t ruin your day.

Oh, to answer your question, I carry a gun (5 shot smith mostly) for self defense and unfortunately or not, I do know what I’m talking about.
    Outstanding post

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm not leo, and I've never shot a human, but I have shot county animals.
    I have shot deer with a high power rifle taking out the heart and one lung, and it still ran over 100 yards.
    I've shot a similar sized deer at the same distance and the same shot placement using a handgun cartridge and it dropped without taking a step.
    Every situation is different, and so are opinions.
    My dad used to say,
    "There are two sides to every argument. Unfortunately I have neither the time nor inclination to listen to yours."
    Miss you dad.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    You know I don't disagree with that as I push training and practice any chance I get. I just don't think Hardware and software are mutually exclusive. In my own life I have been pretty hard on my hands and they are not large by male standards. Even though I am only 54 and in good shape, they are starting to give me problems. Besides warm up before dry fire, prehab, chiro, I also have found myself being more hardware focused than ever because some guns are just more comfortable to shoot. Especially if you shoot a lot. (which I have to because I have no natural gifts.)
    As an aside, I picked these up back In November. Use them constantly. Grip strength up, trigger pulls are smoother.

https://a.co/d/3TJhiuD

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Now, we're in agreement that carrying a bigger gun is a good play if you can. Better, maybe, usually it's a wash but it does give you more options. The whole "is your 5 shot enough" is useless without context and seems designed to discourage people who would carry a 5 shot vs nothing because very very few are carrying a duty sized or even midsized all the time. I'm a cop, you're a retired cop, in a friendly state with no penalties for 'getting made'. Not everyone lives that life. Understanding the differences is significantly more important to discuss than 'is it enough' for that crowd, IMO.
    This to me is a good summation of the entire thread as far as it relates to carrying firearms. For me, I do a lot to mitigate/reduce the chances of having to use a firearm in defense of myself or others first. I am not in law enforcement.

Once I have done the things I can do, I then add the firearm. I know for my stature, carrying even a compact firearm is too much so I carry a Shield. Before the Shield I carried a Taurus 85CH. Loved that little revolver but when the Shield came out, I decided to try it and am happy with it now. But I wish I still had that 85CH and if I could find another one, I'd buy it.

I did not choose the Shield because I was concerned about the revolver's capacity. I switched to it so I could have a similar manual of arms as my weekly range pistol which is a M&P 2.0 Compact. This may not be the correct thing to do, but I did it.

Plus, I'm not afraid to say that the Shield is more comfortable for me to shoot and I can run it for a class, a match or a heavy day at the range. Not so much with my snubby.

Top Bottom