• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Goes back to not sucking solves a lot of issues. You don't suck. You telling me that in that scenario you couldn't hit a fist sized target with a j-frame? I mean, I know I can and I'm not that good. With a modicum of training the vast majority of students were hitting 50y torsos at Sand Burr after the snub nose class. Not as fast as with a larger gun, of course, and again if you can carry a larger gun do it. But that's not the same as just constantly ******** on an option that works for a lot of people a lot of the time who just can't carry a duty pistol.

One of the biggest proponents of the full size or dead in the streets proponents who used to post here spent his work day unarmed. Go figure. The j-frame a similar has it's place as much as a rifle has it's place and hardware isn't the biggest concern.

Serious question, say you have 100 chips to assign to a hypothetical fighter before sending him off to face the scenario in question. How many chips would you assign to:

1) Basic gun handling: The ability to safely draw, present the firearm, fire the firearm upon command but not before, and safely put the firearm away.

2) Basic managing unknown contacts skills.

3) Decision making under stress skills.

4) Pure marksmanship skills, however you choose to define that.

5) Handgun selection.

6) Ammunition selection.

7) Unarmed skills.

8) CIT/Managing the mentally ill skills.

So, again, I ask @Route 45 or you or whoever would like to answer, what varies in the outcome of this event with revolver vs Glock? What is different in the outcome if our deputy shoots 7 less times or 12 more times?
    Sir I fear you give yourself too little credit while affording others too much.. I've seen you shoot a revolver and working as RSO taught me that VERY few people can effectively hit a 8" circle at 5 yards, slow fire shooting a snubby.
    Most people haven't had a modicum of training on their chosen EDC. I've instructed a number of people shooting revolvers on what the ejector rod was and how helpful it is in removing brass from the cylinder which tells me about their training regimen.
    Choice of EDC or caliber aside it comes down to training and not sucking when the time comes. I will not pretend I know enough to give advice to anyone on defending themselves and defer to those that know, from experience, something about the subject.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    A wheel gun will is just as effective as a
    Semi automatic pistol, if the individual is trained
    Thats a pretty broad brush. The op was talking about a snub nose. While they can be of value, as someone once said, a man has to know his limitations and you are simple going to have more limitations with a 5 shot snubby than you are with a full size fighting handgun. Not to mention, your average gun carrier is from from well trained.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I feel like this may be aimed at people like me who carry small semi autos a lot.

But it is a case of carry one of those, or.. carry nothing. I would rather have the small super concealable semi auto, then nothing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Most people haven't had a modicum of training on their chosen EDC.

Yup...which also goes back to "don't suck solves a lot of issues." People try to buy their way into the easy button, relying on hardware to save the day. Playing Gun Of The Month and worrying about HST vs Gold Dot or 9mm vs .45 Auto or sweating capacity to an incredible degree...but training and practice is hard, and access and availability of quality training is difficult. Even more difficult for anything other than pure mechanics or safety courses. Even then, sorting out the frauds and sortaknows from real experts is an adventure all to itself.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Yup...which also goes back to "don't suck solves a lot of issues." People try to buy their way into the easy button, relying on hardware to save the day. Playing Gun Of The Month and worrying about HST vs Gold Dot or 9mm vs .45 Auto or sweating capacity to an incredible degree...but training and practice is hard, and access and availability of quality training is difficult. Even more difficult for anything other than pure mechanics or safety courses. Even then, sorting out the frauds and sortaknows from real experts is an adventure all to itself.
    All matters listed above, bang on. Now add to that the fight or flight reflex that “actually” occurs when that adrenaline dump hits your ass when someone points the business end of any gun at you and let’s go with the intent to end you’re life. Now you get to learn if you suck, AND if your training took root. I’m outa this one.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    A calm old man, with strong working hands...that carries a Smith Model 36 in his Carhartt vest pocket, is probably not gonna be a victim.
    I mean from what I hear he might as well carry a flintlock cause he's gonna die.

edit: does carrying a flintlock also apply as carrying a rock? That would be two birds with one..... stone.

Top Bottom