• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I think its a huge stretch to say that theres decades of evidence that antidepressants cause mass shootings. My 88 year old grandmother takes an ssri (despite me saying she should get off it) because her husband passed away and her Dr. said she had depression. Despite taking this ssri for a few years now she hasnt gotten angry and tried to shoot me or anyone. She still dislikes action movies because "they're too violent" and watches dumb romantic hallmark movies. The vast majority of people taking ssri's will never shoot anything. I dont think its a stretch that people who are complete lunatics also take medication, but the vast majority of ssri users arent lunatics. Lunatics do a lot of the same activities that regular folk do too. John Wayne Gacy liked to have bbq's. These lunatics seem to all be firearm owners but we dont blame the firearms, we dont say theres decades of evidence that firearm ownership causes mass shootings. The left says its firearms, the right says its mental health and but I think its structure, community fabric, how we treat each other in today's world. The amish dont have these issues. They live in the same country we do. I disagree with them on a lot but they keep a tight community and help each other. They have purpose in their life, which I think the lack of is a large contributor to a majority of mental health issues today.
    That's because your grandma probably didn't have severe emotional disturbance since she was a child. There's a very big difference between taking antidepressants for conditions that develop during adulthood, and being emotionally disturbed from birth, and antidepressants being used to cover up your symptoms because your parents are in denial and trying to make you appear normal.

Antidepressants being prescribed to children, to cover-up deep emotional disturbance, so they can fake enough impulse control to get by and graduate, absolutely plays a role in why school shootings happen. It is not a coincidence A/Ds were approved in 1988, and school shootings started a year after.

The kid is able to fake it until they get in their 20s, when Mom and Dad can't make them take the pills anymore. Then, when they withdraw from the drugs suddenly, they experience an emotional crash just like the drug warnings say they will. Their real problem was not fixed by the antidepressants, just covered up. Now they're in their 20s, they stop taking the drugs, fall off the cliff, and go postal. Their real problem was never addressed, because it was easier for Mom and Dad to save face by giving their kid pills and avoiding the diagnosis. The drive-through line at CVS doesn't have a stigma attached to it.

Incidentally, firearms absolutely do play a role in mass shootings. If there were no firearms, there would be no shootings. No contrary argument is possible. But that doesn't mean we want to ban them.

When something contributes to something bad, we have to have the courage to accept it and point it out. AR-15s were on the market since 1965, over half a century, and weren't involved in a school shooting the first 20 years they were legal.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Antidepressants. School shootings turned-on like flipping a switch as soon as they started being mass-prescribed. Just like guns, they are a tool that can be used intelligently, or stupidly. They can be an "easy way out," and parents who don't get their violent child real help are potentially creating the next monster.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    "More guns lead to more deaths."
    "States that have open carry laws have more deaths'
    Was this one of those educational opportunities.

Well, maybe if the congressman wasn't triggered by the idea. It can only be educational if the people are willing to listen and use reason.
    It's extremely hard maybe impossible to educate people with a closed mind bent on telling you why they think you are wrong.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not sure I understand their logic on this. A trans person goes on a rampage and kills some kids, so the trans community wants to retaliate by threatening violence?

I don’t claim to understand this either, but it looks as if the trans vengeance thing was scheduled before this girl shooter started murdering.

Maybe she seen the posting and it prompted her to go on her rampage?

Reactions: Mij

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Devils advocate. How many are on those and DONT go on a murderous rampage? Still a miniscule, virtually unmeasurable percentage.

Not saying it doesnt cause it. I'm just saying other things like getting fired and "snapping" also happens and is also a miniscule number compared to others that get fired and DONT go postal.

Edit: By that metric, we should also ban the flu shot because it kills a small number of people every year.
    One could say not all people who are school shooters are on anti-depressants, but pretty much all school shooters are on antidepressants.

Cause or effect? It could be that the people who are on these drugs tend to be crazy and have these kinds of thoughts. It could also be that some people are incompatible with these drugs and they cause this ideation.

Is Pharma more interested in finding out under what circumstances these drugs might cause these thoughts? Or, if they do, are they more interested in sweeping it under the rug? Which is cheeper? Because that’s the thing they will do.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think its a huge stretch to say that theres decades of evidence that antidepressants cause mass shootings. My 88 year old grandmother takes an ssri (despite me saying she should get off it) because her husband passed away and her Dr. said she had depression. Despite taking this ssri for a few years now she hasnt gotten angry and tried to shoot me or anyone. She still dislikes action movies because "they're too violent" and watches dumb romantic hallmark movies. The vast majority of people taking ssri's will never shoot anything. I dont think its a stretch that people who are complete lunatics also take medication, but the vast majority of ssri users arent lunatics. Lunatics do a lot of the same activities that regular folk do too. John Wayne Gacy liked to have bbq's. These lunatics seem to all be firearm owners but we dont blame the firearms, we dont say theres decades of evidence that firearm ownership causes mass shootings. The left says its firearms, the right says its mental health and but I think its structure, community fabric, how we treat each other in today's world. The amish dont have these issues. They live in the same country we do. I disagree with them on a lot but they keep a tight community and help each other. They have purpose in their life, which I think the lack of is a large contributor to a majority of mental health issues today.
    Okay. But saying it’s safe for most people doesn’t mean it’s safe for everyone. Not everyone on it is a school shooter. But it seems every school shooter is on them.

It’s not unreasonable to suspect that these meds can cause those kinds of thoughts/behaviors in some people. If they do help create school shooters, it would be quite beneficial to know the contraindications. But is there an incentive for that kind of research? Who stands to lose if it’s proven that it causes these thoughts in some people?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not sure I understand their logic on this. A trans person goes on a rampage and kills some kids, so the trans community wants to retaliate by threatening violence?
    No logic. In-group identification. If you identify as one of them, you take up their cause. She was bullied by christians threatening her very existence. So circle the wagons and fight back against the people trying to kill them.

You hear their rhetoric. They claim people on the right are trying to kill them with these laws preventing so-called life saving surgeries. They’re ****ing crazy. They believe this ****.

It sure isn’t helping that people from outside the US are calling in threats to schools across the country now.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No logic. In-group identification. If you identify as one of them, you take up their cause. She was bullied by christians threatening her very existence. So circle the wagons and fight back against the people trying to kill them.

You hear their rhetoric. They claim people on the right are trying to kill them with these laws preventing so-called life saving surgeries. They’re ****ing crazy. They believe this ****.

It sure isn’t helping that people from outside the US are calling in threats to schools across the country now.
    Part of that is predicated on the oft repeated claim that if you do not trans your kid they will kill themselves. (In actuality, they're more likely to kill themselves anyway, whether they convert or not). It's blame shifting. It's human nature to blame someone else for your problems, even if they're caused by your own choices.

Top Bottom