• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    That's because your grandma probably didn't have severe emotional disturbance since she was a child. There's a very big difference between taking antidepressants for conditions that develop during adulthood, and being emotionally disturbed from birth, and antidepressants being used to cover up your symptoms because your parents are in denial and trying to make you appear normal.

Antidepressants being prescribed to children, to cover-up deep emotional disturbance, so they can fake enough impulse control to get by and graduate, absolutely plays a role in why school shootings happen. It is not a coincidence A/Ds were approved in 1988, and school shootings started a year after.

The kid is able to fake it until they get in their 20s, when Mom and Dad can't make them take the pills anymore. Then, when they withdraw from the drugs suddenly, they experience an emotional crash just like the drug warnings say they will. Their real problem was not fixed by the antidepressants, just covered up. Now they're in their 20s, they stop taking the drugs, fall off the cliff, and go postal. Their real problem was never addressed, because it was easier for Mom and Dad to save face by giving their kid pills and avoiding the diagnosis. The drive-through line at CVS doesn't have a stigma attached to it.

Incidentally, firearms absolutely do play a role in mass shootings. If there were no firearms, there would be no shootings. No contrary argument is possible. But that doesn't mean we want to ban them.

When something contributes to something bad, we have to have the courage to accept it and point it out. AR-15s were on the market since 1965, over half a century, and weren't involved in a school shooting the first 20 years they were legal.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Antidepressants. School shootings turned-on like flipping a switch as soon as they started being mass-prescribed. Just like guns, they are a tool that can be used intelligently, or stupidly. They can be an "easy way out," and parents who don't get their violent child real help are potentially creating the next monster.
    Absolutely spot-on.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I'm not sure I understand their logic on this. A trans person goes on a rampage and kills some kids, so the trans community wants to retaliate by threatening violence?
    I don’t claim to understand this either, but it looks as if the trans vengeance thing was scheduled before this girl shooter started murdering.

Maybe she seen the posting and it prompted her to go on her rampage?
    Correct; the "day of vengeance" was scheduled before this shooting happened; I read about it in the news about a week beforehand.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I wonder if it ever came to pass that being subscribed those medicines (if they can be called that), the person would automatically go on a red flag/NICS deny list, how many gun owners would take the subscription?
    I would. They help me immensely and improve my quality of life. And I would fight the system every step of the way until my dying breath.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    That's because your grandma probably didn't have severe emotional disturbance since she was a child. There's a very big difference between taking antidepressants for conditions that develop during adulthood, and being emotionally disturbed from birth, and antidepressants being used to cover up your symptoms because your parents are in denial and trying to make you appear normal.

Antidepressants being prescribed to children, to cover-up deep emotional disturbance, so they can fake enough impulse control to get by and graduate, absolutely plays a role in why school shootings happen. It is not a coincidence A/Ds were approved in 1988, and school shootings started a year after.

The kid is able to fake it until they get in their 20s, when Mom and Dad can't make them take the pills anymore. Then, when they withdraw from the drugs suddenly, they experience an emotional crash just like the drug warnings say they will. Their real problem was not fixed by the antidepressants, just covered up. Now they're in their 20s, they stop taking the drugs, fall off the cliff, and go postal. Their real problem was never addressed, because it was easier for Mom and Dad to save face by giving their kid pills and avoiding the diagnosis. The drive-through line at CVS doesn't have a stigma attached to it.

Incidentally, firearms absolutely do play a role in mass shootings. If there were no firearms, there would be no shootings. No contrary argument is possible. But that doesn't mean we want to ban them.

When something contributes to something bad, we have to have the courage to accept it and point it out. AR-15s were on the market since 1965, over half a century, and weren't involved in a school shooting the first 20 years they were legal.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Antidepressants. School shootings turned-on like flipping a switch as soon as they started being mass-prescribed. Just like guns, they are a tool that can be used intelligently, or stupidly. They can be an "easy way out," and parents who don't get their violent child real help are potentially creating the next monster.

All the same trauma that causes mental illness existed then. The Great Depression, ww2, the Cold War, korea, Vietnam, etc. the 60’s had the Texas school shootings, mlk jr, the Kennedy brothers, how many times did they try to get Ronald Reagan? The stones even have a song called mother’s little helper that’s about moms using pills to get through the day. All before 1988. I don’t think blaming ssri’s is the answer. Serial killers have been around forever. Some people just aren’t right and never will be but doctors try and help by giving out pills. Before you’d send them away to live in a mental asylum or get a lobotomy.

I personally don’t want more gun laws that would prohibit firearm ownership to anyone who takes a pill. Losing rights will stop people from seeking medical help when they need it, and will turn dr’s into judge’s. I don’t disagree that pills cover up the problem but that’s true of almost all medications. They don’t want you to get better because they’d lose customers.

I still think the social fabric is torn, the media has everyone at each other’s throats if they have a different opinion. People don’t help their neighbor. We live in a society that only cares about themselves, instead of a society that looks after each other. Imo video killed the radio star and our social structure. Instead of going outside and playing in a social group, kids are staying inside and cursing each other out on video games because there’s no repercussions. No repercussions leads to everyone thinking they can do whatever they want.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I absolutely love all these ****ers that are now apparently expert psychiatrists. They know everything there is to know about depression and medications for that. How they know that drugs never help and anyone on the is apparently a mass murderer waiting to happen (although reading some of these moronic posts certainly could drive one to it).

I guarantee none of you ****ers have had to deal with it your entire life. To finally get properly diagnosed and then find the one that clears the angst, the anger and feeling of oppressive guilt and the inability to find a good place to be. The change that occurs and the weight being lifted. To finally feel and know happiness.

Yeah... **** off. Sorry not sorry. You don't know ****.

Signed,
    The millions of americans successfully using anti-depressants to improve their life.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I absolutely love all these ****ers that are now apparently expert psychiatrists. They know everything there is to know about depression and medications for that. How they know that drugs never help and anyone on the is apparently a mass murderer waiting to happen (although reading some of these moronic posts certainly could drive one to it).

I guarantee none of you ****ers have had to deal with it your entire life. To finally get properly diagnosed and then find the one that clears the angst, the anger and feeling of oppressive guilt and the inability to find a good place to be. The change that occurs and the weight being lifted. To finally feel and know happiness.

Signed,
    The millions of americans successfully using anti-depressants to improve their life.
    I think there's room here to see both sides of the discussion, both having some level of truth to them.

The problem isn't the anti-depressants themselves. The problem comes when you have a combination of some certain parents who don't want to accept that their child may simply not be "normal" and don't want the perceived social stigma of taking them to a mental health professional, so instead of taking the time to dig down to the root of the problem, they just want to look for some miracle drug that will magically make their child "normal" again, combined with some certain doctors and/or pharmaceutical companies who are happy to make an easy buck or a billion off of pills that they know may be half-baked or not appropriate for the given patient because they see the patient as a revenue stream and a lasting cure as that revenue stream drying up. Not to mention the loads of people out there nowadays who want to make obvious mental issues into something that needs to be accepted and embraced instead of treated and helped, or groom mentally vulnerable children into believing that their mental issues will go away if they just transition to another gender.

Again, like @Twangbanger said, just as we recognize with guns, we should recognize that anti-depressants and other such medicines are a tool, and they can be used smartly or stupidly; either way the blame is on the user, not the tool, and we shouldn't let some cases of abuse make us think the tool is evil, when it may well be used for great good in the majority of cases.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

Signed,
    I think you’re taking this personal when it isn’t meant to be.

Here’s the problem. America has overmedicated its population.

Addiction = disease and/or chemical imbalance
    Active child = chemical imbalance
    Kid won’t behave = chemical imbalance
    Overweight = chemical imbalance / disease
    Too skinny = disease / chemical imbalance
    Depression = chemical imbalance
    Transgender = hormonal imbalance

And the list goes on. Do people suffer from chemical imbalance? Hell yes. But do ALL who are diagnosed with chemical imbalance suffer from it? Hell no. When everything becomes a disease or chemical imbalance, we can medicate it rather than acknowledge the real issue.

It is all a campaigner from big pharma that they can provide the miracle cure that will solve the chemical balance. Meanwhile, they line their pockets with medicine that is unnecessary for 75% of the people who are on it.

Some people need medicine to function normally. Most don’t. But we have parents who would rather have their kid pop a pill than address the real issues and doctors who are happy to prescribe them rather than actually help. We are all pawns in their game.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Here's a good example for you.

In 1988 my ex-wife and I went to counseling to try to save our marriage. Well it didn't work but I learned something important.

After a 15min. meeting with the so-called phycologist I was given a script for Prozac. I was not depressed nor did I mention depression in our 15min. session. I tossed the script in the trash can on my way out and never went back. Drug pushers is all they are.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Top Bottom