• ...and so much more!
  • junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Hi,
    I'm ETS'ing in late November to early December. I've got a conditional job offer working out at Crane, but I know absolutely nothing about the area. Does anyone on the board have a referral for a house/apartment/condo that's two bedroom in a decent part of town that is remotely close to that area? What parts of Bloomington are "no-go" and which parts are good. Right now I commute about 45 mins to post, so I'd like to keep the drive to about that. Any direction would be helpful.
    thanks,
    J

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Prices are cheaper the further west toward crane you go (if you want to live in the country) . Look at the housing west of 37 along 45 or maybe in the highland village area.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Very cool! I would love to work at crane, I would advise living in the country if it were me, but it sounds like you want to rent a condo or apt. I've always heard good things about the area going south of town but I'm with the other guys and saying get closer to crane for cheaper cost of living.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Congrats on the Crane gig. I'm on the Bedford bandwagon too. Crane is really in the middle of nowhere, considering it's a really huge bomb dump that's a good thing. Bloomington is kind of like the Broad Ripple area in Indy, really doesn't go with the rest of Indiana.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    As far as "no go" parts of Bloomington, I would avoid living in the area south of 2nd street and anything north of 3rd/5th street that is west of Walnut street. There are decent parts of town in those areas, but without going into a block by block discussion, I think that is fair advice for an outsider.

If you are working at Crane and living in Bloomington, you are either going to live on the west side of town or drive across town going to and from work (and there is no real good way to get across town when it is busy).

I am from Bloomfield and live in Bloomington and my suggestion is something on the north side of Bedford that is near 37. What makes living in Bloomington awesome is what makes living in Bloomington a pain in the ass. Students really bring a lot of money, vitality and hot girls to town, but they also infest most of the apartment complexes and condo areas in town and living in a student neighborhood/complex might mean that your neighbors party 3 or more nights a week every week. Seriously, check out Bedford or Elletsville for a sane place to live and go into Bloomington when you feel like having some fun for the evening.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As far as "no go" parts of Bloomington, I would avoid living in the area south of 2nd street and anything north of 3rd/5th street that is west of Walnut street. There are decent parts of town in those areas, but without going into a block by block discussion, I think that is fair advice for an outsider.

If you are working at Crane and living in Bloomington, you are either going to live on the west side of town or drive across town going to and from work (and there is no real good way to get across town when it is busy).

I am from Bloomfield and live in Bloomington and my suggestion is something on the north side of Bedford that is near 37. What makes living in Bloomington awesome is what makes living in Bloomington a pain in the ass. Students really bring a lot of money, vitality and hot girls to town, but they also infest most of the apartment complexes and condo areas in town and living in a student neighborhood/complex might mean that your neighbors party 3 or more nights a week every week. Seriously, check out Bedford or Elletsville for a sane place to live and go into Bloomington when you feel like having some fun for the evening.

Yeah getting east/west, across Bloomington is a PITA. A major PITA. I lived in Bloomington for years and moved out about 10 years ago--wouldn't move back on a bet. As far as the OP's concerned, it depends on what he wants. If he wants "social life", then yeah, he'll want to live close to Bloomington--Like others said, I'd look for something on the western side of town. If he likes the rural life a little better, there's a lot of pretty country side to look for something. I'm not sure how the supply of apartments and rental houses will be when you get away from the Bloomington and Bedford. But I know there're plenty of houses for rent and sale.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

This ^^^ Live away from Bloomington and only visit when you have the need/desire.

I live right between Bedford and Bloomington near 37 and I've found it to be a great area.

It's very difficult to find a place to rent in Bloomington and rent is quite a bit higher. That is all primarily due to IU students.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I vote Bedford as well. Born and raised, it's a pretty nice place. Been thinking about moving back lately but employment would be the trouble.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Congrats on the Crane gig. I'm on the Bedford bandwagon too. Crane is really in the middle of nowhere, considering it's a really huge bomb dump that's a good thing. Bloomington is kind of like the Broad Ripple area in Indy, really doesn't go with the rest of Indiana.

Are you kidding? I guess you've never hit downtown Indian Springs on a Saturday night. It's one of the hottest party towns bordering the Crane fence.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Yea I Know. I forgot to add purple. There is actually nothing in Indian Springs. The population of the town is probably under 100 and everyone that has a job there works at Crane.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Bedford gets a lot of love on INGO!

Just for trivia's sake, the only surviving flag believed to have been flown at the battle of lexington and concord is "The Bedford Flag" carried by the Beford Minute Men. It reads "Vince Aut Morire" (Conquer or Die). Obviously the minutemen were from Bedford MA, not Bedford IN, but still counts for something.

Top Bottom