• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    OMG! Had this thought today as I was driving home and my gun was in the center console. If I had to reach for it at the light because the pan handler was actually a different kind of criminal, I would not have had a quick draw. So I sat at the light and looked all over my car for the perfect spot to mount a holster and gave up. I might revisit it now. Thanks op.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I like it, though it looks like it might be challenging to draw. I've had the same problem in the winter. Bucket seats plus winter jacket makes normal 3:00 carry not as useful as I'd like. I've occasionally worn my holster at 10:00 instead and unzipped my coat half way when I knew I'd be driving a lot in the winter. Easy access drawing it cross draw that way. Works fine if I'm just running to the store or something like that. Might have to consider some type of mount in my car now.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I did the same thing, more or less. I just mounted one of my cheapo holsters in the exact same spot in my car, just not upside down. Being a chubby guy in a car with bucket seats and wearing a seat belt, I found it was difficult/annoying to get to my gun if needed. I only place my EDC in the car-mounted holster for longer trips or parts of town that make me nervous. Its just easier to get to, plain and simple. Thinking about getting a car gun that I can keep in the car-mounted holster all the time, and stow it away when I leave the car. I'm on your side, OP :yesway:

Same here..

Mine is a cheap nylon holster that will hold a Med frame Semi auto or 'K' frame revolver. It has a Velcro strap, if I want to use it.
    For me, it is in a lot better position than just above my Rear End under the seat belt..Bill.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    If you bought a Springfield XD new in the box, they give you everything you need to make a nifty vehicle mount. Just take the mag loader, saw it in half longwise, mount to your dash, and clip the supplied holster to it. Viola ! Instant vehicle mount.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    If you bought a Springfield XD new in the box, they give you everything you need to make a nifty vehicle mount. Just take the mag loader, saw it in half longwise, mount to your dash, and clip the supplied holster to it. Viola ! Instant vehicle mount.

Ah yes, I saw reference to that. It's not a bad idea. I had a few reasons not to go that route, but I definitely considered it. Here's a how-to link for anybody else interested in it: Free XD Holster for your car, truck, vehicle, ATV ... whatever — XDTalk.com

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Flipping your wrist upside down, and depressing the release. If you're worried about drawing from beneath your shirts and whatnot, practice it. And also expose the handgun grip when you buckle up. Easy to do. :)

True. Valid concerns. This stuff used to be less of an issue when I was in Indiana because I would OC all the time, which meant the layers were already generally out of the way. But with Florida being CC only (except in certain situations), I finally got tired of dealing with it. I think with training, I can get good at this draw stroke, too, and then it I'll have the advantage of being well practiced and not having layers and seat belts in the way.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Did pretty much the exact same thing except mine is up under the dash to the right side of the steering wheel. I used the Serpa Quick Disconnect system. Allows me to quickly disconnect the holster from my belt and attach it to mount under the dash. When I arrive to where I am going I just disconnect it from under the dash and back to my belt. Why did I do it? Because I found it to be uncomfortable to carry a Glock 21 while seated in my truck. Also I find I have much quicker access in the vehicle this way if it was ever needed

Sweet. I knew I wasn't the first to do this, but I know how helpful it was reading posts from other people who had done it, so I wanted to try to help others who are thinking about it, too.

I'm looking forward to having a big truck someday…

BpzXn.jpg

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    I'm not a fan of off body carry, and I'm not a fan of Serpa holsters.

Why didn't you just use a OWB fobus holster? Those have good retention and could be mounted without having to retrain yourself on how to draw out of a holster. Also, aren't you worried about getting pulled over by a rookie cop who just got out of the academy (where he is taught that guns kill people on traffic stops) and having a duty weapon pointed at your face? And like someone else said before, I hope were all assuming EVERY time you get out of the car, you take the gun out, right? Unless you are driving for a very long time (and assuming you can legally carry in all of the states you drive thru) I can't see how this is any easier than just keeping on your hip. Just my thoughts.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Could you mount it in the sunglass consol sideways for a draw out of sight in that car, right there under that white cap/button looking doohickey?

Nice set up thouigh, I carry a flashlight, knife, and spare mags(s) in my door pocket.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'm assuming if you leave the car the gun comes with you? 100% of the time?

And like someone else said before, I hope were all assuming EVERY time you get out of the car, you take the gun out, right?

I'm sure you know there are times when a man has to leave it behind. The occasional post office run, perhaps? Florida has more off-limits areas than Indiana does, sadly. And I'll be moving to more states which may be worse, too. You can't always take it with you, and as I said in the OP, I've got a lockbox mounted out of sight for that. But yeah, there's no way I would leave it out in the open like that while I'm not there. You think I'm some kinda moron? :P

I'm not a fan of off body carry, and I'm not a fan of Serpa holsters.

Why didn't you just use a OWB fobus holster? Those have good retention and could be mounted without having to retrain yourself on how to draw out of a holster. Also, aren't you worried about getting pulled over by a rookie cop who just got out of the academy (where he is taught that guns kill people on traffic stops) and having a duty weapon pointed at your face? … Unless you are driving for a very long time (and assuming you can legally carry in all of the states you drive thru) I can't see how this is any easier than just keeping on your hip. Just my thoughts.

Hey man, I appreciate you taking the time to chime in. You do have valid concerns. Let me address 'em each.

• Off-body.
    I'm not a fan of off-body carry, either, in general. But there are times when I do it. If I'm going for a bike ride, I may use a 5.11 holster shirt, but sometimes I might carry it in my backpack. I know there are risks with it, but if I'm on my way to the beach, I don't want to have to reveal to everybody that I had a holster shirt on, let alone be seen transferring it to my backpack when I get there.

When it comes to being in the car, again, on-body carry is good because it won't be forgotten. But there have been situations when I've had it on my hip and wished it was more readily available (even though thankfully there have been no incidents yet). Having it on the console now will let me have my hand on the grip without being obvious or even looking like I'm getting my wallet out. I don't think I'm alone in this: when you're in traffic at a stop light, and there are beggars making their way through the cars, making it look like you're getting your wallet out could invite them over. I'm much more comfortable with the idea of having it on the dash than on my hip in situations like that.

• SERPA.
    I know there's a lot of controversy about SERPA holsters, specifically the ones with the button release. But, it's the same system I was issued when I did pistol qualification with the Marines, and many who have deployed have used the system, too. I have been using a Fobus OWB holster for literally as long as I've had a gun; it's still one of my favorites. But I decided that I wanted more positive retention in this case because I don't want it becoming a missile in a collision. Maybe a passive retention system would still prevent that, and maybe the button retention won't prevent it, but I'm making the bet that this is the best solution. However, I can always swap out the holster for a SERPA without a button and it will fit right into the QD mount just the same. I can also get a SERPA holster for a different gun if I ever change up my EDC, and it will also fit in the QD mount.

• Rookie cops.
    Aren't we all worried about that?
    Like I said in my OP, I wanted it on the driver's side so it would be less visible to those outside the car, including cops. With the steering column there, and my knee, I should be able to keep it out of sight until I calmly, with hands on the steering wheel, inform him. Yes, I know not every state is shall-inform, but if there's a sidearm so easily accessible, it might be a good idea to calmly, carefully, let the guy know, so we can handle the situation safely for both of us.

And of course, if I didn't happen to mount it there on that particular day, then the situation reverts to being just like it would be for you on a stop.

• Long drives.
    As a matter of fact, I'm expecting to be driving about 2,000 miles when I take leave for Christmas to see family this year. Leaving your gun on your hip isn't terribly uncomfortable most of the time. But after 17 hours in the car, it can get to you, right? Even those who go with cross-draw appendix carry in the car might want to move it after a couple hours on the Interstate. And if I'm going to take it off for the long drive anyway, I might as well have a suitable, sturdy, accessible mount where I can put it rather than dropping it into the map pocket on the door or into the cup holder.

• Summary.
    Everything is a trade-off. It's Economics 101: every opportunity has an opportunity cost. Life is just a continuous period of deciding which costs you're willing to pay to get the opportunity you want. After looking at the situation for years, balancing some risks, I decided this installation gave me some options that I would like to have sometimes. I don't have to use it every time I get in the car, but the times I want it, it's there now. And just like when we first started carrying a gun, we had to learn how to make it work for us, we had to practice our draw stroke, we had to learn new habits… it's the same thing when we get a new holster, a new belt that doesn't fit our old holster, or a new jacket that's more bulky, we practice until we feel comfortable with the new setup. It's all a part of life.

* Why don't I give money to street beggars? I prefer to give to charitable organizations that help people in need; they can provide better aid to the beggars than a buck per car, and it's safer for me and my family.

Top Bottom