• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Finished up a project I've had in mind for a while, and thought I'd share it.

Before/After:
    L6mHs88.jpg

View from Driver's Seat:
    MflqElm.jpg

More photos, including some from the install process, are available in this Imgur Album:
    Blackhawk SERPA Mount in 2012 Subaru Forester

I also posted a video showing a quick overview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79M8qcRHdMw

I used a Blackhawk SERPA Sportster holster with a Quick Disconnect Kit.

Q: Why is it upside down?
    A: Because I want to have the button retention, I needed a right-handed holster so it could be released when I grip the weapon with my strong hand. Because I wanted it on the driver side of the console, it had to be upside down.

Q: Why did you put it there?
    A: Others have installed holsters inside the center console arm rest (like this), on the driver's door (like this), or on the passenger side of the center console, opposite of mine (like this). I considered all these places. Getting the weapon out of my car’s center armrest would be awkward, clumsy, and slow; besides, my EDC hardly fit. I'm not left handed, so I didn't like the idea of reaching across my body just to reach the weapon when I might need it quickly. And finally, I felt it was too exposed on the passenger side: too visible to passersby, cops, beggars, or thieves; too subject to tampering by curious friends. The experience of Tommy Y. weighs heavily on my mind and I wouldn't want the gun to be easily retrieved by an attacker coming in the passenger door.

Q: What about under the steering wheel?
    A: I actually tried the Gum Creek Vehicle Handgun Mount first. But I found it got in my way too much when I entered and exited the vehicle, so I returned it and moved on to this.

Q: What about under the seat?
    A: I briefly considered under the seat holsters like the GunSling-R or the SeatCarry, but I dismissed them based on the difficulty putting it there when I enter the vehicle, the lower security they provided, the draw stroke that requires sweeping myself, and some reviews with disappointing performance.

Q: What about a safe?
    A: Checked into those. ConsoleVault makes some good stuff, but nothing that fit my car. The Titan Gun Vault looks cool, too, but it takes up a lot of space for only fitting a gun. So I got a separate lockbox mounted elsewhere for secure storage when I’m away from the vehicle, and then this holster/QD system lets me safely move the weapon from my hip to the console without taking up too much space.

Q: Should I try this, too?
    A: Absolutely! If you're trying to find a place to mount a pistol, I think this is a great option and you should go for it! It was a lot easier than I was expecting to do the install, and it should work out well. I think it'll be worth your time and money. Good luck!

Feel free to ask any more questions about what I've done as well as provide constructive feedback :ingo:

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Out of honest curiosity, why would you mount a holster in your car? :dunno:

I'm not a supporter of unholstering/reholstering a firearm needlessly, so mine stays exactly where it should be, whether I'm in a vehicle or not.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    My practice for years has been to just leave it on my hip. But there are times that this may be preferable.

Here are just a few examples…
    Long road trip—probably driving 2,000 miles over Christmas break this year. I know it isn't usually that uncomfortable, but after 17 hours?
    A quick trip when you don't expect to exit the vehicle and don't want to put belt-pants on, like going to the drive through while wearing basketball shorts.
    Wearing apparel that would make drawing the weapon in a hurry difficult while seated in the car.

It gives me options.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

I'm not a supporter of unholstering/reholstering a firearm needlessly, so mine stays exactly where it should be, whether I'm in a vehicle or not.

That's the beauty of the SERPA+QD system. Check out the video. It is possible to transfer the pistol from a belt to the console mount without removing it from the holster. That was one of the benefits of this instead of the under-seat holsters or the Gum Creek mount.

EDIT: In fact, the design of the SERPA holster is such that I can unload without removing it from the holster. The magazine release button is accessible and the slide can be locked back to clear the +1 round all while the trigger guard is covered and the gun is locked into the holster.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Cool Idea, gonna be difficult in a pinch to get it when you need it though.

Well geez, getting it in a pinch was the whole idea! This should be easier to get than drawing from my hip, where I usually carry. What am I missing that would make this more difficult? (And I'm not trying to be argumentative. I really want to know if I missed a consideration.)

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Cool Idea, gonna be difficult in a pinch to get it when you need it though.

Well geez, getting it in a pinch was the whole idea! This should be easier to get than drawing from my hip, where I usually carry. What am I missing that would make this more difficult? (And I'm not trying to be argumentative. I really want to know if I missed a consideration.)

I think it would be easier "in a pinch" to draw from there than from my IWB holster at 4 o'clock covered with my shirt, jacket and seat belt buckle. But I haven't tried it. It would also be easier to floor the gas and get out of dodge with no bullets fired. IMO

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I did the same thing, more or less. I just mounted one of my cheapo holsters in the exact same spot in my car, just not upside down. Being a chubby guy in a car with bucket seats and wearing a seat belt, I found it was difficult/annoying to get to my gun if needed. I only place my EDC in the car-mounted holster for longer trips or parts of town that make me nervous. Its just easier to get to, plain and simple. Thinking about getting a car gun that I can keep in the car-mounted holster all the time, and stow it away when I leave the car. I'm on your side, OP :yesway:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Right on. Right on. That's exactly it. Sometimes you just feel better knowing that if you need it quickly, it isn't gonna get caught on every layer of clothing I have on plus the seatbelt before I can use it. I've sat at stop lights before, even in parts of town that aren't "too bad" where pedestrians are making me wary, and I would just prefer to have it out, but I don't want to draw it from my hip and just hold it. I only installed it yesterday, so it isn't like I have a lot of experience with how I take advantage of this yet, but I'm glad I have another option now.

EDIT: I would be very interested in creating a system where I could have a gun in the car all the time, but since I work on a military base, it isn't an option for me. (Keep writing your representatives about that, btw, people!)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    A quick trip when you don't expect to exit the vehicle and don't want to put belt-pants on, like going to the drive through while wearing basketball shorts.
    Wearing apparel that would make drawing the weapon in a hurry difficult while seated in the car.

Sometimes you have to man up, and wear a pair of pants with a belt.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I did it. Why? Because I can't carry at work or in a school. I mounted it in my center console.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

Flipping your wrist upside down, and depressing the release. If you're worried about drawing from beneath your shirts and whatnot, practice it. And also expose the handgun grip when you buckle up. Easy to do. :)

rdavis006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Did pretty much the exact same thing except mine is up under the dash to the right side of the steering wheel. I used the Serpa Quick Disconnect system. Allows me to quickly disconnect the holster from my belt and attach it to mount under the dash. When I arrive to where I am going I just disconnect it from under the dash and back to my belt. Why did I do it? Because I found it to be uncomfortable to carry a Glock 21 while seated in my truck. Also I find I have much quicker access in the vehicle this way if it was ever needed

Top Bottom