• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Could you mount it in the sunglass consol sideways for a draw out of sight in that car, right there under that white cap/button looking doohickey?

Nice set up thouigh, I carry a flashlight, knife, and spare mags(s) in my door pocket.

Thanks! I did hold the bundle up to the cubby, but it wouldn't fit well, and it may interfere with shifting gears. Also, I really like using that cubby. I might end up mounting a ham radio controller in that area, but I'm not sure yet. (And I'm still not licensed, so it'll be a while.)

I mounted a flashlight in the glove box and keep a couple knives in the car, but since I work on a military base, I can't store ammo in the car like that. I wish I could. (Please keep contacting to your representatives so we can get the law changed!)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm sure you know there are times when a man has to leave it behind. The occasional post office run, perhaps? Florida has more off-limits areas than Indiana does, sadly. And I'll be moving to more states which may be worse, too. You can't always take it with you, and as I said in the OP, I've got a lockbox mounted out of sight for that. But yeah, there's no way I would leave it out in the open like that while I'm not there. You think I'm some kinda moron? :P

Hey man, I appreciate you taking the time to chime in. You do have valid concerns. Let me address 'em each.

• Off-body.
    I'm not a fan of off-body carry, either, in general. But there are times when I do it. If I'm going for a bike ride, I may use a 5.11 holster shirt, but sometimes I might carry it in my backpack. I know there are risks with it, but if I'm on my way to the beach, I don't want to have to reveal to everybody that I had a holster shirt on, let alone be seen transferring it to my backpack when I get there.

When it comes to being in the car, again, on-body carry is good because it won't be forgotten. But there have been situations when I've had it on my hip and wished it was more readily available (even though thankfully there have been no incidents yet). Having it on the console now will let me have my hand on the grip without being obvious or even looking like I'm getting my wallet out. I don't think I'm alone in this: when you're in traffic at a stop light, and there are beggars making their way through the cars, making it look like you're getting your wallet out could invite them over. I'm much more comfortable with the idea of having it on the dash than on my hip in situations like that.

• SERPA.
    I know there's a lot of controversy about SERPA holsters, specifically the ones with the button release. But, it's the same system I was issued when I did pistol qualification with the Marines, and many who have deployed have used the system, too. I have been using a Fobus OWB holster for literally as long as I've had a gun; it's still one of my favorites. But I decided that I wanted more positive retention in this case because I don't want it becoming a missile in a collision. Maybe a passive retention system would still prevent that, and maybe the button retention won't prevent it, but I'm making the bet that this is the best solution. However, I can always swap out the holster for a SERPA without a button and it will fit right into the QD mount just the same. I can also get a SERPA holster for a different gun if I ever change up my EDC, and it will also fit in the QD mount.

• Rookie cops.
    Aren't we all worried about that?
    Like I said in my OP, I wanted it on the driver's side so it would be less visible to those outside the car, including cops. With the steering column there, and my knee, I should be able to keep it out of sight until I calmly, with hands on the steering wheel, inform him. Yes, I know not every state is shall-inform, but if there's a sidearm so easily accessible, it might be a good idea to calmly, carefully, let the guy know, so we can handle the situation safely for both of us.

And of course, if I didn't happen to mount it there on that particular day, then the situation reverts to being just like it would be for you on a stop.

• Long drives.
    As a matter of fact, I'm expecting to be driving about 2,000 miles when I take leave for Christmas to see family this year. Leaving your gun on your hip isn't terribly uncomfortable most of the time. But after 17 hours in the car, it can get to you, right? Even those who go with cross-draw appendix carry in the car might want to move it after a couple hours on the Interstate. And if I'm going to take it off for the long drive anyway, I might as well have a suitable, sturdy, accessible mount where I can put it rather than dropping it into the map pocket on the door or into the cup holder.

• Summary.
    Everything is a trade-off. It's Economics 101: every opportunity has an opportunity cost. Life is just a continuous period of deciding which costs you're willing to pay to get the opportunity you want. After looking at the situation for years, balancing some risks, I decided this installation gave me some options that I would like to have sometimes. I don't have to use it every time I get in the car, but the times I want it, it's there now. And just like when we first started carrying a gun, we had to learn how to make it work for us, we had to practice our draw stroke, we had to learn new habits… it's the same thing when we get a new holster, a new belt that doesn't fit our old holster, or a new jacket that's more bulky, we practice until we feel comfortable with the new setup. It's all a part of life.

* Why don't I give money to street beggars? I prefer to give to charitable organizations that help people in need; they can provide better aid to the beggars than a buck per car, and it's safer for me and my family.

Excellent post. Eloquent, logical, direct. Thanks.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Is there a reason you can't just carry in your car in the same fashion you would anywhere else? Mine just stays in my holster. :dunno:

It's possible, maybe likely, that the seatbelts or a jacket or coat could slow down the time it takes to draw a holstered weapon. That's why I installed one of these, made by Gum Creek:
    566_zpse3ac9c17.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And dont forget in a rollover, EVERYTHING not nailed down becomes a missle. the Serpa's active retention is handy for that aspect as well.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    It's possible, maybe likely, that the seatbelts or a jacket or coat could slow down the time it takes to draw a holstered weapon. That's why I installed one of these, made by Gum Creek:
    566_zpse3ac9c17.jpg

That's what I tried first. It was cheaper and non-destructive to the car, which I preferred. But alas, it didn't work well for me in my car. From the OP:

Q: What about under the steering wheel?
    A: I actually tried the Gum Creek Vehicle Handgun Mount first. But I found it got in my way too much when I entered and exited the vehicle, so I returned it and moved on to this.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I'm sure you know there are times when a man has to leave it behind. The occasional post office run, perhaps? Florida has more off-limits areas than Indiana does, sadly. And I'll be moving to more states which may be worse, too. You can't always take it with you, and as I said in the OP, I've got a lockbox mounted out of sight for that. But yeah, there's no way I would leave it out in the open like that while I'm not there. You think I'm some kinda moron.

You are driving a Subaru forester with a serpa holster mounter inverted to the dash, and you said you were a Marine. :D

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Nice set up. Would a left hand fobus eliminate the need to push a retention button and allow a grip down orientation for a right handed draw? Just askin!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Nice set up. Would a left hand fobus eliminate the need to push a retention button and allow a grip down orientation for a right handed draw? Just askin!

Blackhawk also makes passive retention holsters: BLACKHAWK! Sportster Standard CQC Concealment Holster - BLACKHAWK!

And yes, a left-handed passive retention holster is an option. However, even if you went that route, and mounted it right-side-up, there might still be issues with being able to get a good grip with your hand between the console and the holster, especially with the QD mount there.

Either way, I think I would rather have the button retention in lieu of the passive retention. At least until I see some kind of problems with the button style.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I always say here in Monroe County you seldom see a NRA sticker on a Subaru or an Obama sticker on a F-150:D

Bunch of us in my squadron have Subarus. Few weeks ago, a bunch of us took a day trip, and we ended up with three Foresters caravanning. Guess it depends on the people you know.

lgnSs2H.jpg

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    OK now I see, whatever works for you, I have back in the day used the fanny pack in the front during a long drive, and adjusted the seat belt out of the way. Then one trip I got out to pump gas and noticed the butt of the Glock poking out of the velcro'd side of the pack. An ankle carry on long drives works for me too but when I get out, I want it a bit more closer. I once just laid a Walther PPK in my lap, stopped at the motel in Florida, got out of the car at the reception area to have it fall down onto the ashphalt....my bad.
    Nowadays its a Glock-27, spare mag, flashlight, folder and phone go's everywhere I go. Different places for different weather.

Maybe we should have a car mount thread. (I am sure we do and someone will post a link or two).

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    My old car.

614826_10151044164817707_476074830_o.jpg

Did you have any issues with being able to get a good grip on that before you drew it out of the holster? As you can see, I mounted mine upside down to prevent that kind of problem, but I didn't have any proof that it actually WAS a problem—I was just guessing.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I looked around the past couple times in my car and I do not see a place to mount something that wouldn't be in the way.

Top Bottom