• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is a tragicomic video of a young man in California going over a cliff. He basically just stops turning. He claimed the bike's steering "locked up" even though seconds earlier it worked just fine. He doesn't even seem to brake very much, he only scrubs about 20mph before zooping into the air. I think he fixated on a light pole and then the cliff's edge.

He went on talk shows and said how Awful & Dangerous motorcycles are. Very tragic end to the tale. I guess perpetually daydrunk TV hosts know a thing or two about dangerous lifestyles.

Did the steering lock up because he tried to turn the handle bars left when he wanted to go left? :n00b:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Pretty sure that Honda is following Tesla with "self steering" vehicles. Not sure how well this is going to work out.

But if people keep riding their bikes over guard rails and off cliffs then maybe we need self driving bikes?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    This is a tragicomic video of a young man in California going over a cliff. He basically just stops turning. He claimed the bike's steering "locked up" even though seconds earlier it worked just fine. He doesn't even seem to brake very much, he only scrubs about 20mph before zooping into the air. I think he fixated on a light pole and then the cliff's edge.

He went on talk shows and said how Awful & Dangerous motorcycles are. Very tragic end to the tale. I guess perpetually daydrunk TV hosts know a thing or two about dangerous lifestyles.

I also see "Awful & Dangerous" but it is him not the bike. Jim.

airhog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Lafayette
    I also see "Awful & Dangerous" but it is him not the bike. Jim.

Yea, about half of motorcycle fatalities are single vehicle accidents, most involving curves. It's hard to tell for sure from the video clip but it appears he's entering the curve way too fast. Even without target fixation, it's doubtful the rider would have been able to recover without going down. Fortunate to be alive.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yea, about half of motorcycle fatalities are single vehicle accidents, most involving curves. It's hard to tell for sure from the video clip but it appears he's entering the curve way too fast. Even without target fixation, it's doubtful the rider would have been able to recover without going down. Fortunate to be alive.
    Virtually no lean into the curve either, so probably target fixation and driving straight off the edge. If he was hard on the brakes you might also expect some sort of skid or tip on the dirt before going off the edge but the camera appears to remain upright after he leaves the pavement

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Pretty sure it was just a simple, but tragic, mental block. The guy likely just fixated on a spot and the bike followed. This is why riding instructors tell you to look through the curve not at the curve.
    Seems like by saying his steering locked up he is admitting he didn’t understand counter steering And maybe did try and turn the bars vs just pushing on the bars. Scary incident for him for sure. Glad he lived. I know I am still a very green rider and I am trying to learn as much as I can from research to try and avoid these types of mistakes. I have kept my 500cc bike so I can continue to practice techniques and not be on my larger bike. Much rather drop my cheaper bike than my other one.

airhog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Lafayette
    Seems like by saying his steering locked up he is admitting he didn’t understand counter steering And maybe did try and turn the bars vs just pushing on the bars. Scary incident for him for sure. Glad he lived. I know I am still a very green rider and I am trying to learn as much as I can from research to try and avoid these types of mistakes. I have kept my 500cc bike so I can continue to practice techniques and not be on my larger bike. Much rather drop my cheaper bike than my other one.

Absolutely practice using your 500cc bike in empty parking lots to increase handling proficiency. However, note that motorcycle fatalities are typically not the result of not being able to do a tight U-turn. Around half are single vehicle accidents where the rider is going too fast into a corner. Maybe some can be salvaged by technique but physics is physics. In most cases, you will have a bad day unless extremely lucky.

The second most frequent cause of fatality is the dreaded left turn at an intersection. It helps not to be an idiot by slowing down, focus, and not put too much value in having the right of way. It means nothing if one is 6 feet underground or recuperating from debilitating injury. Getting hit by an inattentive driver from behind is about 10%. If waiting at an intersection, be aware of what's coming behind and, if feasible, have an exit route to the left shoulder. I blip my break lights until I see the car slowing down.

Despite all these precautions, complacency can creep in anytime and being on two wheels is inherently dangerous. Ride safe.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    In the video, the first curve he was leaned...so the dude knows how to turn with CS. It was an obvious case of target fixation.

I've encountered myself do this once...but...thankfully I've caught myself...hit the clutch...tapped the brakes and looked further into the curve while opening throttle and leaning to fix it.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Anybody else got a big, fata** head like me? It kinda limits my/our [good] helmet options. I have a Bell DLX MIPS helmet(in 3XL) and it fits great but at highway speeds I feel like a bobblehead sometimes the way the wind hits unless I tuck a little but my CB650R is a little more upright than a sport bike so that's not the most comfortable thing. I can be a 2 or 3x it varies brand to brand that I've tried.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I think the PUIG one I have is already the tallest one made for my bike
    Most people seem to complain about Puig and Givi aftermarket windscreens!

MadStad is the gold standard, Palmer (from England) gets very good reviews, Cal-Scientific gets mostly good reviews.

I put MadStad windscreens on 2 bikes. They make them to fit the height of the rider. Full range of sizes, even sized to fit big bobble headed hillbillies. American made too.

Top Bottom