• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Fairly certain this is confusing Millennials with Gen-Z. As a member of the millennial gen, I have grown up using "old tech" and watching new tech develop.

While I understand the sentiment, this isn't why Harley is losing. Harley killed the dyna line, which was the quintessential working man's bike (even markedly overpriced when new). I have heard rumblings they are also going to kill the sportster. If the sportster goes under, Harley will go under as well.

Likewise, if anyone saying we wasted our time on ******** degrees would study just a little bit, the labor force has changed from a high school grad working in a factory to make a living, to a "degree holding" prospect just to gain entry to the information markets.

You want my opinion? If you want younger people to ride, stop treating them like you are superior. AKA: don't be an *******.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Always have a rope plug, co2 cartridges and a battery operated compressor in my bags. Once had to use two bacon strips to plug a hole while at Deals Gap, but replaced the tire the next day when I rode all the way to Atlanta to find a Harley shop.
    Always look to have tubeless tires just for that reason.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So do I :wallbash:

Worst thing is I use rope plugs for my ATVs, tractors, etc. So have spent money twice.

Anyone want to buy a DynaPlug kit? :lmfao:
    I'm gonna review later, if there is room for rope plugs and tools in the cool bag? Or maybe replace original components and use the cool bag? I also wonder about putting some internal patches in the bag, in case that might be a better option also?

Another thought on the subject is that we all didn't just throw money randomly at a kit that truly sucks? I'm sure I researched it and so did you folks. Might be worth some further looking to see if others had different results than FortNine?

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I carry mushrooms. They are easy to use on bike tires. No need to open the hole unless it is a car tire. I have had one in my car tire for over a year. On a bike I onle plug till I can replace the tire. On the car, meh. My bike goes out of State for twisty roads and spirited riding. I run Rosso IIs and not plugged ones.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I repaired a front tire with a small puncture from a sharp stone on the Alaska Highway in Teslin, Yukon on the way home from Alaska a couple years ago with a rope plug. I checked it a couple times the next day and every day on the way home, a little over 3000 miles. Never lost any air and held tight. I looked at it closely when I removed the tire and it looked solid.

I still think the best repair is a patch on the inside of the tire but there are not many options for repairing a motorcycle tire in the Yukon.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I carry a mushroom plug kit, a rope plug kit, and have onboard air. If those can’t get me home, a trailer will. You’re NOT removing a 1500 Wing’s rear wheel on the side of the road.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Plugs in motorcycle tires are to get you to a shop to replace the tire. IMO
    I used the mushroom plugs but I used them on someone else bike usually. Helped them on the side of the road and have no idea how long they left them in before replacing the tire.
    I had my own tire changing equipment so if I would pull a tire with a hole in it I replaced the tire it just wasn't worth the trouble to pull wheel and take tire off and patch/plug the tire and worrying about it the rest of the tires life.
    Another thing is many of the heavier bikes have tires with steel belts in them and no rubber plug will last very long in a steel belt tire as the belts shift when accelerating or braking and cornering and even as the tires heat up and cool down. Shifting belts cut thru the rubber plugs.
    I Used mushroom plugs in atv and mower tires but the low tire pressure and rough terrain would sometimes push the plug back into the tire. I started using rubber cement or glue on the plugs and never had anymore problems.
    Haven't had a street bike with tubes in decades and never will.

I would admit if I was on vacation and on the other side of country and away from home I would probably run a plugged tire on the interstate home and check tire pressure twice a day. At least I would have when I was younger:nuts: If any curvy roads were in the plans I would look for a shop and replace.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I wonder about the speeds you folks ran on plugged tires over distance?

Me and my Kaw kinda like to go fast.
    I haven’t had to use them on a bike yet, but it would only be to get home so I could replace the tire. I wouldn’t be ripping twisties on it.

I have and will use the rope plugs with rubber cement on my car tires indefinitely. Got a couple plugs in one tire now with 20k+ miles on it.

Top Bottom