• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm planning to switch to the rope plugs, aka 'bacon strips'

The more I look at this the more I think mushroom plugs are a temporary solution and not necessary even the best temporary solution.

Got plenty of the bacon strip/rope plugs in my tractor bay that I use for other equipment. I'll just swap my mushroom plugs out of my kit with my existing rope plugs.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    In the mean time, BUELL MOTORCYCLES has arisen from the ashes and is BACK IN PRODUCTION again. 10 new models promised by 2024.

Personally I'd love to see 2 ADV Touring bikes come out of Buell. Something in the 700-850cc range that would be a nice mid weight (450# to 500#) light touring bike capable on gravel and light off road as well as eating up highway miles.

They already are planning a bigger 1.1 liter bike, possibly capable of real round the world travel and capable as a long distance highway tourer. Looks like the SUPER TOURING MODEL will be 1190cc bike, not sure about the weight, but I'd hope it would be below the big BMW GS models.
    copy-of-1190sx

Here is a public domain press release from the reformed company:

Grand Rapids, MI – Buell Motorcycles is back in production in America. The new Buell® Motorcycles will launch 10 performance models by the 2024 model year. The exciting models will be representative of the superbike performance and handling expected of the legendary Buell brand. Exciting times ahead for fans of American Motorcycles.
    “Buell is back!” said Bill Melvin, CEO. “We are excited to bring Buell back with this awesome assortment of superbikes and performance motorcycles. We start with the fastest American production motorcycles, hand built in the USA, so that’s a nice start! We’re building out those platforms for more touring & adventure models, then we’re expanding our displacements to be competitive with other global brands. The passionate Buell Nation can grow and thrive again.”
    Buell Motorcycle upcoming models will include variants for dirt, dual-sport, touring, and cruisers while expanding the line up to include medium and small displacement motors. Buell is also in the initial exploration phases for a high-performance Electric model and is open to collaboration ideas with other companies. The models currently in production are built by hand in Grand Rapids, Michigan and based on the high-performance 1190 platform, known for the innovation of Fuel in Frame, Perimeter Brake Rotor, exceptional handling, and high horsepower.
    “Buell is known as the American brand for high performance, innovation, & adventure. Fast is fun again on a Buell. We will continue and expand on that,” said Melvin. “We have already launched a dirt bike with Cipala Racing that won an AMA Championship and Buell will be dominating at NHRA this year. Follow us Facebook and Instagram where we’ll showcase passionate fans, new developments, as well as racers and riders having fun on a Buell. The future will be fast and fun on a Buell.”
    EBR Motorcycles acquired the Buell brand in early 2020 and began developments to bring Buell back. Buell will be present at Daytona Bike Week 2021 at J&P Cycles Destination Daytona Mega Store. Visit the Buell booth for gear, to view current models, and learn about the developments of the fast and fun American Motorcycle brand.
    Buell is back and racing to the future!
    Email for Information: Info@BuellMotorcycle.com
    Press: Please put “Press” in the subject line of your email request.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They already are planning a bigger 1.1 liter bike, possibly capable of real round the world travel and capable as a long distance highway tourer. Looks like the SUPER TOURING MODEL will be 1190cc bike, not sure about the weight, but I'd hope it would be below the big BMW GS models.
    I think you have to get the 44 foot O'Day option to achieve that capability :stickpoke:

decalguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    I miss riding so much. I'm looking for another one. Haven't ridden in a few years now. I had a 73 xlch sportster, kick start only, for those that don't know. My wife had an 01 Honda vlx 600 shadow. Mine needed more work and money than I could do at the time, we traded hers for a car. A bucket list ride for me would be in MI from Houghton to Copper Harbor, MI.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I miss riding so much. I'm looking for another one. Haven't ridden in a few years now. I had a 73 xlch sportster, kick start only, for those that don't know. My wife had an 01 Honda vlx 600 shadow. Mine needed more work and money than I could do at the time, we traded hers for a car. A bucket list ride for me would be in MI from Houghton to Copper Harbor, MI.
    I took about 20 yrs off from riding to raise my kids. I bought another bike during a mid-life crisis. :cool: Rode the Dragon or the first time this year. Best decision I ever made.
    cherahola.jpg

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I also had a 1973 Sportster the XLH electric start amd it was awesome. Bought it used with straight pipes and IIRC 4" over front end, loud and fast. Jim.

Reminds me of a magazine article I read back in the day, described a Sportster as "an motor with a wheel at each end." That was about correct with the old "Iron Head" Sportsters, good power and not a lot of weight. I had the 1973 and a 1980 XLS, my wife had a 2005 Sportster 883 rubber mounted motor. Never really cared much for the 883, seemed to refined. My 2004 Springer is a whole different world and it will be mine till I can't ride any more but I still miss the old "Iron Heads." Jim.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yup... it priced very competitively, great horsepower!!!, lots of torque, weighs 50# less than a BMW GS.

Seriously HD may have a real contender.
    Definitely worth watching. Seems like they're trying to expand and be relevant with things like overhead cams.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thought about the KLIM version. Looks like it’s the best. I’m already an ATGATT guy and generally favor higher end gear because it’s both more comfortable and more functional.
    I'm not big on a safety device that requires an app. (especially since I have a flip-phone)

I do like that Helite Turtle - simple and reliable. Looks like you can deploy it multiple times - even just to test it w/o much cost.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    My favorite bridge to ride. The Wabash Cannonball Bidge between Vincennes and St. Francisville IL. This is actully the best part of the suface. It's hilarious on the DR650 but Mama is not a fan when I take her over it on the Goldwing. For those unfamiliar with the bridge it has a pretty cool history. It was, of course, origionally a railroad crossing. After the railroad abonded it, it was bought by a local farmer who converted it to a vehicle bridge and then ultimately sold it to Illinois which promptly stuck a 1 dollar toll on the St. Francisville side while ignoring the bridge itself. It is also known locally as the "Purple Head Bridge" after a Native American Shaman met an untimely demise that resulted in his decapitation. Apparently, he never received a proper burial and was pretty ticked off about it. Some claim to still see his purple head rising up from the bridge occassionally. If you get a chance check it out. Some of the equipment that rotated the bridge to allow steamship riverboats to pass is still visible under the superstructure. Lots of history rusting away. View attachment 123936
    Man I have not seen that bridge in years. When I was at Vincennes it was the place to at night. Great picture

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Airbags? This guy doesn't even need a shirt.

But, he does need to gas up before running from the cops.

Those roads do look fun to ride...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm not big on a safety device that requires an app. (especially since I have a flip-phone)

I do like that Helite Turtle - simple and reliable. Looks like you can deploy it multiple times - even just to test it w/o much cost.
    Stumbled across this, fairly basic but has links, video, etc.

Top Bottom