Pendleton, IN 46064

www.in.gov/isp

FOR RELEASE: Upon Receipt

Sgt. John Bowling
    Public Information Officer
    765-778-2121

DATE - April 23, 2020

Motorcyclist Injured in New Castle Crash

New Castle – Nationally, a leading cause of motorcycle crashes is when a car makes a left hand turn into the path of an oncoming motorcycle. Last night in New Castle that trend held true as a motorcycle collided with a car after the car turned left into the path of the oncoming motorcycle. At 10:30 p.m. Trooper J.T. Burns was driving south bound on SR 3 in New Castle when he noticed a Dodge Intrepid in front of him go into the left turn lane at Trojan Lane.

Burns watched as the Intrepid started into a left turn, across north bound SR 3, directly into the path of an oncoming motorcycle that was north bound on SR 3. The motorcycle attempted to avoid the car, but was unable to do so, hitting the front of the car. The impact of the collision ejected the rider, Gerald Hammond, age 55, of New Castle. Hammond, who was not wearing a helmet, sustained severe head injuries. After being treated at the scene by New Castle Fire and New Castle EMS, Hammond was airlifted to I.U. Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.

The driver of the Intrepid, Kaitlyn Snyder, age 18, of Knightstown, was uninjured. Trooper Burns was assisted in his investigation by Pendleton and Indianapolis Troopers as well as Crash Reconstruction Investigators Trooper Mark Hanna and Sergeant Danielle Elwood-Henderson. According to statistics by the CDC, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, wearing a motorcycle helmet reduces your risk of head injury by 69% and your risk of death by 37%.

2020-04-23-motorcycle-crash2_crop.jpg

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Be careful out there folks...
    ...yclist Injured in New Castle Crash

New Castle – Nationally, a leading cause of motorcycle crashes is when a car makes a left hand turn into the path of an oncoming motorcycle.
    Yup, happened to me in my early twenties. Over the top of the car. Broken arm. Almost broken leg. If it weren't for the boot heel my left heel would not be there now. Idiot got out and said he didn't see me. Then he couldn't believe the damage. Hmmm, '76 Sportster at about 500 lbs going 35-40mph.. hmmm Didn't collect a dime. Always ride aware.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Helmet didn't help my sister when she was 19. DRT
    Sorry for your loss.

Helmets don't help everyone. Some bumps to the head are just too severe, other injuries often occur in combination with head injuries too and the cumulative effect can be fatal.

And there should be no law mandating helmets be worn.

But helmets save a lot of lives and more people would be riding if they had a helmet when they had an accident. Just like proper riding gear also saves lives and reduces injuries but almost nobody wears it.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've laid mine down once. I was only going about 10mph slowing down at a red light and my tires hit some kinda grease. Leather jacket, elbow/shoulder armor. Still got a raspberry on my forearm just from the impact, couldn't imagine how it would have looked without the gear. I'll never go without.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've laid mine down once. I was only going about 10mph slowing down at a red light and my tires hit some kinda grease. Leather jacket, elbow/shoulder armor. Still got a raspberry on my forearm just from the impact, couldn't imagine how it would have looked without the gear. I'll never go without.
    I laid down a HD once, a bit of gravel on asphalt, a curve, and a bit too much enthusiasm going into it. Wearing blue jeans. Wearing a wool shirt. I did have a helmet on.

Jeans shredded upon touching the asphalt. I mean shredded. I thought denim was protective. It is not.
    Wool shirt held up better than the denim jeans but my skin under it has a nice raspberry.
    Helmet impacted the ground. Not too hard. Without the helmet I'm sure I'd still be alive but probably would have had a hell of a bump on the back of my head.

I now ride with seriously protective motorcycle gear:
    Jackets... Armor (not just padding) in the elbows, shoulders and back. Highly abrasion resistant Cordura or leather in the skid areas. Reinforced mesh vent panels, etc etc etc

Pants... Knee and hip armor. Cordura at the skid points. Boots... armored ankle protection. Gloves... real motorcycle gloves with multi-layer palm skid panels, knuckle protectors

97% of the time I am an ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME GUY. I have multiple jackets for different weather conditions and can comfortably ride in 90+ degrees with the right jacket.
    3% of the time I will wear just the Helmet, Jacket & Gloves.

For the 3% of the time I figure a helmet and a jacket will save my life. Pants and boots may reduce injuries but if I'm joy riding a 2 lane country road I occasionally will risk it. Not often. But occasionally. Real motorcycle gloves save you from a skin graft on your palms, which is apparently very difficult and very painful.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I was wearing a First Manufacturing Turbine perforated jacket with D30 armor in the elbows and shoulder. You can tell looking close at the right arm you can see it scraped but the Dainese gloves I had on look as good as new. I think they're imbued with some sort of Italian magic.

I don't remember what jeans I had on. They were Kevlar lined but it was such a relatively minor accident that I was done skidding before my ass even hit the floor so they didn't a chance to work, just dirty.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I got the Screaming Eagle out to ride. The clutch was barely there. I checked the fluid and it's old. I guess all the moisture settled to the bottom over the winter. One twist of the bleeder and I had the clutch back and was able to roll out, but I need to get some break fluid and change it out.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I got the Screaming Eagle out to ride. The clutch was barely there. I checked the fluid and it's old. I guess all the moisture settled to the bottom over the winter. One twist of the bleeder and I had the clutch back and was able to roll out, but I need to get some break fluid and change it out.

If your master/reservoir is anything like mine, be careful of the "back squirt" during the first part of the lever pull when bleeding or flushing the clutch system.
    I use a vacuum extractor to empty the reservoir, then only fill it part ways until I get done pumping new fluid out of the slave. I then top it off. Even doing this I have to keep a couple of paper towels over the reservoir to keep the fluid from flying out.

Yearly "flushes" of the clutch and both brake systems keeps a lot of problems at bay....

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Real bikes don't use hydraulic clutches ( secretly wishing mine had one so my left forearm wasn't 15% bigger than my right). I have SE parts on my bike and an E-Z clutch should've been installed but I paid cash for it used.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    There was a hit and run in Indy yesterday involving a car vs motorcycle. Not sure if they found the fleeing subject, but I hope the biker was alright. It didn't sound good according to the officer I spoke with. Stay safe everyone.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Monday looks like the next op here in Btown. I road some on Friday and it sure was nice out. Looks like I may finally have a buyer for my '91 FXR too. Things are looking up and I need that.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    There was a hit and run in Indy yesterday involving a car vs motorcycle. Not sure if they found the fleeing subject, but I hope the biker was alright. It didn't sound good according to the officer I spoke with. Stay safe everyone.

Here is a video that has been around for about 2 years.

"Invisibility Training for Motorcycles"

It clearly explains why cars don't see us. Made by a motorcyclist for us, so we understand. We will never get drivers to see us unless we do things, it's actually not that they don't care, it's that their brain doesn't register us as visible. In essence, we need to make ourselves visible to them and not assume they can see us.

[video=youtube;x94PGgYKHQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x94PGgYKHQ0&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3W5TePqnFZnbaXAmtgJ7KgCK66b2RLwxwnAIjeH elCNl9LOqgkvVMruts[/video]

Last edited:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Here is a video that has been around for about 2 years.

"Invisibility Training for Motorcycles"

It clearly explains why cars don't see us. Made by a motorcyclist for us, so we understand. We will never get drivers to see us unless we do things, it's actually not that they don't care, it's that their brain doesn't register us as visible. In essence, we need to make ourselves visible to them and not assume they can see us.

[video=youtube;x94PGgYKHQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x94PGgYKHQ0&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3W5TePqnFZnbaXAmtgJ7KgCK66b2RLwxwnAIjeH elCNl9LOqgkvVMruts[/video]

Great explanations of the different ways bikes can become "invisible" to motorists.

One thing that we've done for years that seemed to stop nearly all of the "look right at you and still pull out/turn anyways" moments is to run with your brights on during the day.
    Also, on 4 lane roads, especially in town, stay the hell out of the right lane. You get lost in the visual "noise" of storefronts, signage, etc.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Great explanations of the different ways bikes can become "invisible" to motorists.

One thing that we've done for years that seemed to stop nearly all of the "look right at you and still pull out/turn anyways" moments is to run with your brights on during the day.
    Also, on 4 lane roads, especially in town, stay the hell out of the right lane. You get lost in the visual "noise" of storefronts, signage, etc.

I added Denali LED daytime running lights. They are fork mounted so as the fork turns slightly the lights turn with them and its more eye catching. They can be run in regular or Bright mode. I have them set to Bright :thumbsup:

Top Bottom