• BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When's the ProTeq shoot?

On a different note has anyone tried the Remington version or has it not been out long enough? I have a couple of Mossberg 500's and like how they work and feel. Thinking of getting one of these or the Remington one to go with them.
    I finally was able to escape and take my Remington 870 Gatekeeper II out for a dance. It is cylinder bore.They called Josh Randall's cut down Winchester a "Mare's Leg". They should call this one a "Mule's Kick". Seriously, it isn't for the faint of heart. I shot 25 low brass 12 ga.#8 target loads at some metal knock down plates at about 5 yds. to get the feel for the gun. With these loads, the gun is controllable. As someone suggested, I could see right away that installing the strap on the forend is going to happen. If that doesn't suit me, I may try a forend pistolgrip, like the Tac Star. The bicycle inner tube sleeve worked well. I fired the rest of my shells at 15 yds. The Winchester Military 00 buckshot load 2 3/4" (the OD and black rounds) was hard to handle (the strap would have helped), but I won't be using them. The pattern of the Winchester Military was around a 13" spread. I shot some Hornady Critical Defense 2 3/4 00 buckshot load with Versatite Wad was much more controllable. There are only 8 pellets and it is advertised as 1600 fps. The patterns at 15 yds. were 7" extreme spread. I shot a couple of old slugs at 15 yds. and they hit where the barrel was pointed. I fired all rounds holding the gun at arms length. I was using the front bead for reference, but the gun was aimed high (I didn't want my right hand to contact my nose). My groups were about 2 feet higher than where I pointed the bead. Nevertheless all my patterns were on my 2'x2' target. My conclusions are that the Gatekeeper II needs a strap on the forend or a pistol grip to aid in keeping one's hand on the forend. I also recommend gloves for range sessions. I used Nomex flight gloves with the leather palms. I recommend low recoil 2 3/4" defense loads in 00 buck. #4 buck might be good as well, but I didn't have any on hand. I'll be sticking with the Hornady Critical Defense 2 3/4" loads unless I find something less punishing (I doubt that I'll find any shells that pattern tighter). Holding the gun out at arms length, the gun never came close to my face. This may be a problem for people with limited upper body strength.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I finally was able to escape and take my Remington 870 Gatekeeper II out for a dance. It is cylinder bore.They called Josh Randall's cut down Winchester a "Mare's Leg". They should call this one a "Mule's Kick". Seriously, it isn't for the faint of heart. I shot 25 low brass 12 ga.#8 target loads at some metal knock down plates at about 5 yds. to get the feel for the gun. With these loads, the gun is controllable. As someone suggested, I could see right away that installing the strap on the forend is going to happen. If that doesn't suit me, I may try a forend pistolgrip, like the Tac Star. The bicycle inner tube sleeve worked well. I fired the rest of my shells at 15 yds. The Winchester Military 00 buckshot load 2 3/4" (the OD and black rounds) was hard to handle (the strap would have helped), but I won't be using them. The pattern of the Winchester Military was around a 13" spread. I shot some Hornady Critical Defense 2 3/4 00 buckshot load with Versatite Wad was much more controllable. There are only 8 pellets and it is advertised as 1600 fps. The patterns at 15 yds. were 7" extreme spread. I shot a couple of old slugs at 15 yds. and they hit where the barrel was pointed. I fired all rounds holding the gun at arms length. I was using the front bead for reference, but the gun was aimed high (I didn't want my right hand to contact my nose). My groups were about 2 feet higher than where I pointed the bead. Nevertheless all my patterns were on my 2'x2' target. My conclusions are that the Gatekeeper II needs a strap on the forend or a pistol grip to aid in keeping one's hand on the forend. I also recommend gloves for range sessions. I used Nomex flight gloves with the leather palms. I recommend low recoil 2 3/4" defense loads in 00 buck. #4 buck might be good as well, but I didn't have any on hand. I'll be sticking with the Hornady Critical Defense 2 3/4" loads unless I find something less punishing (I doubt that I'll find any shells that pattern tighter). Holding the gun out at arms length, the gun never came close to my face. This may be a problem for people with limited upper body strength.

Thanks for the info and pics. I definitely want to shoot them before I buy one.
    Did you put in all the links or has INGO gone a different route for their advertising?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010

Did you put in all the links or has INGO gone a different route for their advertising?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    They are a handful, and hard to hold onto without the fore strap when shooting full house 00 buck and slugs, don't let anyone kid you. I'm going to try some Nobel Sport mini buck loads (2 1/4") after it dries out some. As far as the links, no, that's how they came, when I copied and pasted my post from another forum to INGO.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    They are a handful, and hard to hold onto without the fore strap when shooting full house 00 buck and slugs, don't let anyone kid you. I'm going to try some Nobel Sport mini buck loads (2 1/4") after it dries out some. As far as the links, no, that's how they came, when I copied and pasted my post from another forum to INGO.

I wonder how they would work with the little mini shells. I think they are 1 3/4". Fort Liberty has some on the shelf. A friend shot some out of his KSG and said they have a lot less recoil but still pack a punch. Plus the decreased size lets him put more in the gun. I think he said it was 12 per side.
    The other forum is using an add on to their software to tag and link certain keywords. They actually get advertising money from Google for doing it. To me it's way too distracting.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Had the cruiser style mossburg 500 in 410 at one time. It road in the truck and the combine of my uncles at the farm. It had a sling so I would keep it around the shoulder and push forward with the pistol grip and sort of hold like normal shotgun. Nice for early tree rats and the bunny hopping around the farm trails. Just one bar on the pump so after a while it seemed to need a little hard push on the bar. It must bend rather easy. That keep it from quickly ejecting and loading. It carried like a dream in the early tree rat season. Must have traded it off at some time or gave it to my uncle. He used to keep in it in the combine all the time in the fall.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I wonder how they would work with the little mini shells. I think they are 1 3/4". Fort Liberty has some on the shelf. A friend shot some out of his KSG and said they have a lot less recoil but still pack a punch. Plus the decreased size lets him put more in the gun. I think he said it was 12 per side.
    The other forum is using an add on to their software to tag and link certain keywords. They actually get advertising money from Google for doing it. To me it's way too distracting.
    I'm not sure how they cycle in an 870, but the 2 1/4" seem to cycle just fine. That being said, I haven't given them a live fire test yet. There is an adapter for Aguila Mini Shells available for the Mossy that is supposed to aid cycling. BTW, the Remington 870 Gatekeeper II is manufactured by Asylum Weaponry.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    When's the ProTeq shoot?

On a different note has anyone tried the Remington version or has it not been out long enough? I have a couple of Mossberg 500's and like how they work and feel. Thinking of getting one of these or the Remington one to go with them.
    PROteq is May 13th, Saturday. It is posted in Events too if you want to check there.
    I will have my Shockwave with me and some ammo, #4 buck mostly.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    PROteq is May 13th, Saturday. It is posted in Events too if you want to check there.
    I will have my Shockwave with me and some ammo, #4 buck mostly.

Thanks I'll go look it up. Might run out there and bring some toys.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Does anyone make a pressure activated laser sight that would mount on the fore end of the Shockwave? Seems like that would make it ideal for some hip firing fun.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Wonder what's the legality on installing a sig brace ?
    wonder why you would want to since it will likely break your arm rather than make it easier to fire.

The PG they have used, which is like a Speedfeed style PG, is really comfortable and easy to use. The recoil is very manageable.

Again, I will have my Shockwave this Saturday at the PROteq Open Shoot. I have mostly low recoil #4 and some Skeet Shells, both are 2 3/4" shells. I also have a few 3", full recoil #4 Buck but only 10 shells as I don't have a bunch here and son't feel like buying any or removing them from my 590A1, which is loaded for HD with the rest of the 3" #4 Buck. Come by, shoot my shotgun and see how you like it. I do not have a GateKeeper yet, I like Remington Shotguns better but so far have mot seen one at the LGss.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    wonder why you would want to since it will likely break your arm rather than make it easier to fire.

The PG they have used, which is like a Speedfeed style PG, is really comfortable and easy to use. The recoil is very manageable.

Again, I will have my Shockwave this Saturday at the PROteq Open Shoot. I have mostly low recoil #4 and some Skeet Shells, both are 2 3/4" shells. I also have a few 3", full recoil #4 Buck but only 10 shells as I don't have a bunch here and son't feel like buying any or removing them from my 590A1, which is loaded for HD with the rest of the 3" #4 Buck. Come by, shoot my shotgun and see how you like it. I do not have a GateKeeper yet, I like Remington Shotguns better but so far have mot seen one at the LGss.

Maybe if you have girly arms lol.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Like a lot of other guns, I can see where if I get all the add-ons and accessories I'm thinking about, they'd easily exceed the cost of the gun. I was thinking of Magnaporting the barrel, MESA combination picatinny mount/ side saddle and Laserlyte Center Mass laser. I don't see any better way to mount the laser on the Remmy than the MESA combo. Looks like the Mossy might be able to be mounted as on the video, but there isn't enough room, that I can see on my Remmy.

Top Bottom