• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Going to take mine out tomorrow and try some hornady 00 buck tomorrow for giggles. That stuff is rated at 1600 fps according to box. Yikes. I'm just going to go to parabellum in Avon. So probably no hip firing.
    Unless you are super strong, there is a possibility that muzzle rise with that load, might cause you to drop the gun. It is good to have a soft surface under the gun, just in case. Don't ask me how I know this. Also, the recoil could cause the gun to come back and smack you in the nose (I've avoided this). Good luck!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Unless you are super strong, there is a possibility that muzzle rise with that load, might cause you to drop the gun. It is good to have a soft surface under the gun, just in case. Don't ask me how I know this. Also, the recoil could cause the gun to come back and smack you in the nose (I've avoided this). Good luck!

If he shoots from the hip or lower than his chest I suggest a hold over instead of a hold under on the forward hand. I suggest this to people who shoot my SBS. It definitely has some muzzle rise when shooting!

SBS-3-X2.jpg

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    Talk to the RO about lowering the table. I've done it before.
    didn't know you could do that. Thanks! Yes I'm not going to shoot it eye level with those loads. I figured I'd use the chest method. I shot some low brass birdshot through it but that's it. I didn't realize those hornady were such hot loads. The guy suggested them and I didn't even pay attention.

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    If he shoots from the hip or lower than his chest I suggest a hold over instead of a hold under on the forward hand. I suggest this to people who shoot my SBS. It definitely has some muzzle rise when shooting!

SBS-3-X2.jpg
    That's what I was thinking. Giving it the ole c clamp hold kind of like an ar hold people use but different.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    didn't know you could do that. Thanks! Yes I'm not going to shoot it eye level with those loads. I figured I'd use the chest method. I shot some low brass birdshot through it but that's it. I didn't realize those hornady were such hot loads. The guy suggested them and I didn't even pay attention.

I've taken some shooters who are in wheel chairs there and lowered the table. They will also allow you to draw from the holster. I checked with the RO and had no problem with lowering the table.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

SBS-3-X2.jpg
    That would be a great technique for a single barrel or double barrel, but it is kinda awkward for a pump and isn't a good thing to practice with a pump IMHO.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've got some of the Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buckshot loads that only have 8 pellets. They are advertised at 1600 fps. I found them to shoot really tight patterns and the recoil wasn't pleasant, but was manageable and I could even shoot the gun held at eye level without fear of it coming back and busting my nose. If that is what loads you have, you'll be fine, just hold on hard and use that strap!

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    I've got some of the Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buckshot loads that only have 8 pellets. They are advertised at 1600 fps. I found them to shoot really tight patterns and the recoil wasn't pleasant, but was manageable and I could even shoot the gun held at eye level without fear of it coming back and busting my nose. If that is what loads you have, you'll be fine, just hold on hard and use that strap!
    i held it right out in front of me just a little lower than eye level without issue. I love this thing. That's exactly the loads I was talking about that I shot.

Top Bottom