• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Thank you very much! Now I just need to find some of the mini shells & try them out.
    Thanks again!

Okay, finally confirmed round count.

With the Noble Sport 2.2" buckshot rounds, the gun will hold 6 in the tube and 1 in the chamber.

With the Aguila 1.75" minishells (and the OpSol miniclip to allow it to cycle them), the gun will hold 8 in the tube and 1 in the chamber.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a single point sling coming for mine. I think I will drill and tap the Shockwave to accept a sling stud as I bought two of the 590 single point sling mounts to my thumb hits the mount when I am holding the pistol grip so I nixed that idea.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I have to say that for in-house maneuverability and at home defense distances, you really cannot beat a short Shockwave shotty. I call mine, the "Nuclear Option" for home defense.

My Official Mossberg Shockwave:

My Pre-official Shockwave from a few years ago:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have to say that for in-house maneuverability and at home defense distances, you really cannot beat a short Shockwave shotty. I call mine, the "Nuclear Option" for home defense.

My Official Mossberg Shockwave:

My Pre-official Shockwave from a few years ago:
    Do you think the ported barrel really helps in reducing felt recoil?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Do you think the ported barrel really helps in reducing felt recoil?

The porting is not so much for felt recoil as it is for muzzle rise, and in that regard it works in spectacular fashion. I know this becuase my son and I did experiments on two identical Mossberg 500's with the birdsheard grip a few years ago and actually got the data to prove that the muzzle stays flat with ports and raises around 2-4 inches without it.

Ported Shockwave equiped 500 at full recoil. The barrel starts where you see the dot on the grid, and this picture frame shows the apex of the rearward recoil, which is on the exact same horizontal plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXU70-rgdAo

Without the ports, the shotgun arcs over at least two of the horizontal grids above the barrel, and sometimes more.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I will say this about the Mossberg Shockwave (which I'm sure applies to all shorty pump guns with 14" barrels and pistol grips), my arms aren't quite long enough to let me keep a proper hold on the grip and the slide and bring it up to my face so that I can get a proper sight picture... at least not enough that I feel comfortable doing so with full power rounds. The 2.2" and 1.75" shells are mild enough that's no problem, and with my 9" barrel SXS SBS, I can do it with full power buckshot rounds (but it's a much smaller package).

So I don't know if I'm quite ready to make the Mossberg my primary HD weapon. I think I will stick to my SBR Arsenal Krink and my S&W Model 66 as my primaries.

However, the Mossberg Shockwave sure is fun to shoot on the range.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I will say this about the Mossberg Shockwave (which I'm sure applies to all shorty pump guns with 14" barrels and pistol grips), my arms aren't quite long enough to let me keep a proper hold on the grip and the slide and bring it up to my face so that I can get a proper sight picture... at least not enough that I feel comfortable doing so with full power rounds. The 2.2" and 1.75" shells are mild enough that's no problem, and with my 9" barrel SXS SBS, I can do it with full power buckshot rounds (but it's a much smaller package).

So I don't know if I'm quite ready to make the Mossberg my primary HD weapon. I think I will stick to my SBR Arsenal Krink and my S&W Model 66 as my primaries.

However, the Mossberg Shockwave sure is fun to shoot on the range.
    I think that there will be a lot of used ones on the market in 6 mos., once people take them to the range. That being said, I'm average height and have an average reach. I never felt like my Remington 870 Gatekeeper was a danger to my face, even when using slugs. Without the strap installed, the forend was very hard to hang onto because of muzzle rise. I have since installed a forend strap. I am going to try out some of the 2.25" 00 buckshot loads because although the Hornady Critical Defense 2 3/4" loads (8 buckshot) weren't terrible, I'm thinking that the short buck rounds might be easier for follow-up shots. We'll see.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    with my 9" barrel SXS SBS, I can do it with full power buckshot rounds (but it's a much smaller package).

I have been afraid to cut the stock on my 12" O/U because I didn't think I could keep hold of it outstretched as a pistol. That's amazing that you can with an even shorter barrel.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Owned a 500 Mossberg with the pistol grip. Shot it a few times then put the stock on it as I did not like the recoil of the pistol grip. Maybe with the angle of the grip on the shockwave it would feel different.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Owned a 500 Mossberg with the pistol grip. Shot it a few times then put the stock on it as I did not like the recoil of the pistol grip. Maybe with the angle of the grip on the shockwave, it would feel different.

The Shockwave's birdshead grip is about as different as you can get. The vertical angle of the standard pistol grip causes your wrist to take most of the recoil energy and is not very comfortable at all. The birdshead grip, on the other hand, allows your elbow and shoulder to work as a couple of hinges during recoil and your wrist absorbs very little energy at all.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I had a Mossberg 500 with a regular PG on it, hated it. I have a Shockwave and have fired it a number of times and love it. Planning on bringing it to the INGO Shoot at Proteq so folks can try it for themselves too. It is a great gun and for HD I think it's perfect. Would be a really good truck gun too. It is an easy shooting weapon and with the low recoil 2 3/4" #4 Buck I use, devastates a target and would cut a person down with ease.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    This video is interesting. It doesn't point out that the Mossy is drilled and tapped for a scope mount. I wouldn't remove the strap from the forend like junior does. I also wouldn't shoot it one handed. I do like the fact that Hickok45 shoots with the gun up and using the sights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxECBq-f68s

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Anyone have one of these and mounted a light to it yet? If so how did you mount it? I'm thinking that with a light this would be a pretty ideal HD gun.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    it really isn't bad to fire, recoil is very manageable. I love mine and have fired it a bunch already. Come to the PROteq shoot and you can try mine before you get one. :ingo:

When's the ProTeq shoot?

On a different note has anyone tried the Remington version or has it not been out long enough? I have a couple of Mossberg 500's and like how they work and feel. Thinking of getting one of these or the Remington one to go with them.

Top Bottom