• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would imagine that how well something is recovered from a drive really depends on how hard somebody is looking, if they are looking the other way they likely will see nothing at all.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Really, how close do you need to get to an open container of molten steel before it burns you up? I would think that the IR coming off of something like that would be fierce.
    We used to burn trash and pallets by placing them by a BOP furnace. Tilt the furnace for a bit, and it starts on fire.

Same thing, if they were going to service a hot ladle. Tilt the ladle on it's side. While the guys are in the back changing the gate nozzle, the pallet set at the open end would burn.

A full ladle having a few pounds of various metals to adjust the chemistry 'splashed'. The sparks/splash ignited some garbage that had blew in the door. The fire then burned through a welding station hose and got a really good fire going.

I used a thermal sensor before, measured outside temp of a tundish box and a ladle.
    I can't remember which was which, but one was 700 degrees, and the other was 400 degrees.

I set my screwdriver down on a tundish box to work on an Amepa plug. The tundish box was empty, but still warm.
    My screwdriver handle partially melted before I noticed it.

Worked on a shroud manipulator pendant next to where a ladle had just been taken away. Can't wait for it to cool, because you only have 1/2 an hour or so to replace what you need to.
    It was too hot to take my glove off. But a B**** and a half to work with #8 screws with the glove on.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, a small problem with the movie.

When you dip a room temperature item into steel, it 'REACTS'.
    1667234340868.png

sparks, flame, and some steel will fly out.

When I was new, I 'helped' and old timer out.
    After he took the temp, I took the sleeve off the pipe, and threw it into the steel.
    OOPS!
    A lotta hot stuff flew back at me. Yikes.
    I asked why it didn't do that for him.

He would throw the sleeve so that it fell on the slag, and it fell sideways, to lay on top.
    I threw it into the steel like a spear, and not into the slag.
    The part that penetrated INTO the steel REACTS rather violently.

Men have caught splash from steel reactions before, and burned to death.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We used to burn trash and pallets by placing them by a BOP furnace. Tilt the furnace for a bit, and it starts on fire.

Same thing, if they were going to service a hot ladle. Tilt the ladle on it's side. While the guys are in the back changing the gate nozzle, the pallet set at the open end would burn.

A full ladle having a few pounds of various metals to adjust the chemistry 'splashed'. The sparks/splash ignited some garbage that had blew in the door. The fire then burned through a welding station hose and got a really good fire going.

I used a thermal sensor before, measured outside temp of a tundish box and a ladle.
    I can't remember which was which, but one was 700 degrees, and the other was 400 degrees.

I set my screwdriver down on a tundish box to work on an Amepa plug. The tundish box was empty, but still warm.
    My screwdriver handle partially melted before I noticed it.

Worked on a shroud manipulator pendant next to where a ladle had just been taken away. Can't wait for it to cool, because you only have 1/2 an hour or so to replace what you need to.
    It was too hot to take my glove off. But a B**** and a half to work with #8 screws with the glove on.
    I understood screwdriver in that post, but not much else. :):

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Maybe all of the FBI isn't pants on head insane:

sCDxZO5.jpg

Top Bottom