• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • McMark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Does anyone have any experience with Missouri's Pinbusters?

I'm looking for some load data and a powder recommendation for these 250gr .45 bullets.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I would not use the load with 6.0 grains of 231 listed on that page.
    5.3 grains of 231 with this bullet gets me a chronoed average of 831-885 fps depending on temperature. The 885 fps load showed some pressure signs - a bit of bulging at the bottom of the case.

You will probably need to load these at about 1.18 OAL for them to run in your gun. This doesn't improve the pressure situation.

They're great bullets, but you really do have to work up a load for your gun if you want something heavy for pins and want to keep all of your fingers.

I'm switching to Longshot with these bullets for an extra margin of safety.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Might also want to check into a heavier recoil spring or even a buffer of some sort. You are adding a lot of stress shooting thos heavier bullets out of an autoloader.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have found for pins I like a heavy larger diameter bullet moving at mid range velocities. The faster you push the bullet the heavier the recoil so it is a matter of finding the line where you are not losing time to recoil but the load still has the authority to clear the pin quickly. A 250 grain bullet at 775-800 does this fairly well.

You didn't say whether you wear shooting these is 45 ACP or Colt but I will assume you are loading for a 1911 platform. This thread has some info in it... 250 grain loads for 45 ACP - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I want to try a 250 in my 460 Rowland using Trail Boss, should be able to create a nice pin load with very soft recoil in my 625.

McMark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    I'll start at 5.0gr of Unique for these 250gr .45acp's. I'll take your advice Slow Hand and look into a buffer or a heavier spring.

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom