Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Guy at work saw this and watched it.
    Told me about it at work.
    I found it on Facebook.

This is what I did. Well, I was one of the "highly trained nuclear operators". Not one of the "special forces".
    And in my day, the "Dry Deck Shelter" was classified.
    Now it's on TV.

click to play
    [video=facebook_share;578354966301421]https://www.facebook.com/ketv7/videos/578354966301421/[/video]
    Well, that was cool!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    FWIW, I know for a fact there is a man buried in Frankton, IN with one of those government supplied plaques on his grave indicating he is a veteran even though he never made it out of boot camp. It grates on me because my grandfather served in combat and was wounded during WWII, yet is not eligible for one of those plaques because he died before the law was passed.

Some of that stuff just seems crazy to me, but it still happens. I don't think it'll ever completely go away and your grandfather deserves the honor of that plaque.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ... It grates on me because my grandfather served in combat and was wounded during WWII, yet is not eligible for one of those plaques because he died before the law was passed.

When did he die?

I believe you can also buy the grave marker, the flat bronze colored one, from private contractors, if the VA won't pony up.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    You guys/gals may get a kick out of this.
    I'm not really sure, but I think you have to graduate basic/boot/AIT/school or whatever before you're officially "in" and considered a veteran.
    There is no length of service or qualification other than the type of discharge for the title of veteran. However, a reservist would not be considered a veteran until "active duty" was performed. Most reserve duty is “active duty for training”. Veteran benefits may have other requirements.

38 U.S. Code § 101. Definitions The term “veteran” means a person who served in the active military, naval,
    or air service
    , and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    FWIW, I know for a fact there is a man buried in Frankton, IN with one of those government supplied plaques on his grave indicating he is a veteran even though he never made it out of boot camp.

There is a guy in California with a veteran's gravemarker (I"ve seen it on Find A Grave website) because he was killed while on active duty. Unfortunately the manner in which he died was less than heroic or honorable. He had a drug problem, went AWOL from his base in Louisiana, stole a series of cars, ended up in Seguin Texas where he shot a six-month rookie patrolman during a traffic stop, who in turn chased him down and killed him. It makes my teeth grind that the guy gets a veteran's marker but because he was killed before the Army could court-martial or administratively process him for his crimes I guess he was "eligible." :xmad:

The patrolmen lost one lung and part of another, and served as detective for another 10 years before pneumonia got him. His death was classified as in the line of duty because the wounds he received from being shot didn't leave him with enough lung capacity to fight off the pneumonia.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    When did he die?

I believe you can also buy the grave marker, the flat bronze colored one, from private contractors, if the VA won't pony up.

Yes, you can buy something similar, $300-500 depending upon the amount of information on it. I can afford it, not a big deal. I was just sharing the bizarre circumstances created by the law that excluded anyone that had died prior to the law.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, that was cool!

Yes
    And
    No.

It's interesting, because it's something different.
    Spend 3.5 years on one, really living on on, and it isn't "different".

Reactors, torpedoes, SONAR, etc all become bland when you live with them.
    Bland is good though.
    It's boring, but good.
    Cause "exciting" on a sub is usually bad news.

The best sea stories are usually things that sucked while they were happening.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    3d66a2b3afcf50693ccc1ab41a6e9f37408a3b5721cb2c64a8cb93e4.jpg.1000x666_q85.jpg.cf.jpg

Our control room was smaller than the one in the video.
    More like this one.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This reminded me of a story I ran across the other day. USS William D. Porter, a destroyer, apparently the unluckiest ship in the WWII Navy. Among its several claims to infamy, during an exercise while transiting the Atlantic it accidently launched a live torpedo at the battleship USS Iowa that it was supposed to be guarding. Cherry on the cake: the reason they were holding the exercise was to show off for the VIP that the battleship was carrying. President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

[video=youtube;f9Gb4PakFTU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Gb4PakFTU[/video]

Going back through these stories, I realize I forgot to mention this.
    This guy that made this video has a lot of great (and short) history videos.
    If you like history, I recommend his channel.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Back when seals looked like American service men.

Times have changed and ME missions require camouflage.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Or scrubbing rocks clean outside the barracks...
    We literally steam cleaned the sides of our building. Used screwdrivers to scrape black spots off of the sidewalk (turns out, most of those were gum). And of course, Motorpool Mondays.
    I still miss it, although mostly just the people.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We literally steam cleaned the sides of our building. Used screwdrivers to scrape black spots off of the sidewalk (turns out, most of those were gum). And of course, Motorpool Mondays.
    I still miss it, although mostly just the people.
    Painting the inside of a vent on the roof of the paint storage building. Kept having to paint the concrete walls of the loading dock because they weren’t safety yellow, they were Creech Brown like the building. Couldn’t drive forklifts in the warehouse because it might mark up the pretty floors.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Painting the inside of a vent on the roof of the paint storage building. Kept having to paint the concrete walls of the loading dock because they weren’t safety yellow, they were Creech Brown like the building. Couldn’t drive forklifts in the warehouse because it might mark up the pretty floors.

I always thought the IG teams probably eventually died from lung cancer from constantly breathing the fumes of fresh paint everywhere they went.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I always thought the IG teams probably eventually died from lung cancer from constantly breathing the fumes of fresh paint everywhere they went.

Try painting on a sub underwater.
    You're not supposed to do it. One of the reasons is, it's bad on motors. And subs have a bunch of motors.
    But, coming in for an inspection, rules be damned, paint paint paint.

And then wonder why everyone has headaches and is cranky

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Hahahahahahahaha, that sounds like the military I love. Before getting out the first time in 2001, the unit received the first Aimpoint red dots (M68s) for Fort Hood. The commander refused to allow them to be mounted, used or even leave the Arms Room. His reason, he didn't want any of them to be lost because they were his responsibility. We were like, that's why you sign them in and out with hand receipts, but he said it would still come out his pay. We pointed out that everything else in the Arms Room was literally the same, but he couldn't understand it, no matter how hard we tried.
    And of course as I was leaving, he made the list for Major....

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    That reminds me of a story about the British military, as one of the Royals were coming to visit, the paint everything including the grass, polish everything else was happening, he thought to himself, they must think the world smells like paint and fresh polish.

Top Bottom