Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I remember

74474885_2578917018810086_7955908487517569024_n.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Guy at work saw this and watched it.
    Told me about it at work.
    I found it on Facebook.

This is what I did. Well, I was one of the "highly trained nuclear operators". Not one of the "special forces".
    And in my day, the "Dry Deck Shelter" was classified.
    Now it's on TV.

click to play
    [video=facebook_share;578354966301421]https://www.facebook.com/ketv7/videos/578354966301421/[/video]

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Kind of how I felt when I got out of the army and the evening news had a segment on the KH-11 satellite. (which I have no Knowledge of)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Oh yes, sitting in the airport playing "spot the GI"?? I have done that. When I was in Korea 92-93 AFKN (Armed Forces Korea Network) was running a "propaganda commercial" that talked about blending in with the people in your host nation. It featured an Italian-American blending in with Italians. I'm German and Irish, and in the ROK. Me and another guy flying out the same day decided to blend in with American tourists was the way to go. We still looked like GIs...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh yes, sitting in the airport playing "spot the GI"?? I have done that. When I was in Korea 92-93 AFKN (Armed Forces Korea Network) was running a "propaganda commercial" that talked about blending in with the people in your host nation. It featured an Italian-American blending in with Italians. I'm German and Irish, and in the ROK. Me and another guy flying out the same day decided to blend in with American tourists was the way to go. We still looked like GIs...

I (and some shipmates) were trying to get to the sub in the Med. We were supposed to meet it in Haifa Israel, staging through Italy and Sicily.
    Italy and Sicily wouldn't be a problem, NATO countries, therefore military ID would get us in.
    But Israel isn't, and we didn't have passports.
    So, the Navy farted around trying to work something out.
    Gave us a class on terrorism, evading, and fighting.
    Told us not to get a haircut, don't wear printed t-shirts and jeans.

But, it took awhile. Soon, some idiot desk jockey told us we had to get haircuts.
    After all, we can't have us showing up to the sub looking like that.
    Of course, he was an IDIOT.
    Subs in port generally are a bit more lax than shore commands, or surface fleet.
    And while deployed, lets just say, no one cared till we pulled into port.
    So, pretty sure not a single officer, or chief, would have gave two farts whether my hair was cut or not.

But, I agree. We looked American anyway.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://theleansubmariner.com/2018/11/12/whats-it-like-to-live-on-a-submarine/

Arguably one of the most asked questions most Submariners hear once they reveal their sordid past: What’s it like living on a submarine?

1. Buy all the groceries and supplies you think you’ll need for 2 months, with the following exceptions: no milk, cereal, fruits, vegetables or alcohol. Take what you buy home and bring it one item at a time into the house. You may not keep any food in your cabinets or closets as these will be set aside to store spare parts. You may not use the refrigerator as this will be turned into a freezer. Any pre-made candies, cookies, or snacks must be kept in bed with you.
    2. Lock the door, close the windows, draw the shades and tear out the phone.(Modern Update: No cell phones either)
    3. Turn on the oven with the door open; turn the air conditioner all the way up. Setup enough fans so that the whole house is windy.
    4. Replace all your lights with 100 watt bulbs and turn them all on.
    5. You may sleep on any shelf you choose.
    6. Whenever you are not asleep, your “bed” must be occupied by any garbage man you do not like.
    7. You must wear the same clothes a week at a time. You may do laundry once a month. You must sleep with your dirty laundry in a bag in bed with you.
    8. Every week on Saturday morning, you must go to the basement, crawl between the pipes and clean the same 10 foot by 10 foot area for four hours.
    9. You may be in the shower for 10 minutes at longest, but you may not run the water for more than 60 seconds.
    10. You have one week to study the instruction manuals for every appliance, utility and piece of equipment in your house. At the end of this week you must be able to quote any passage out of these from memory and pass a written exam. Until you can do this, you may not have access to TV or radio and you may not sleep for more than 3 hours at a time, with 9 hours awake between sleeping.
    11. After this week, you must walk around the house for 6 hours and record every temperature, pressure, tank level, setting, and complete status of every piece of equipment in your house. You may not go to the bathroom or eat during this 6 hours. These 6 hour periods must start every 15 hours.
    12. Once a week when you would otherwise be asleep, take your television completely apart and put it back together.
    13. You may not go to the bathroom for one hour after you eat because during that time you have to clean it.
    14. Each Monday through Friday morning whether you would normally be awake or not, you must pretend to start a fire in your house, put on a gas mask, and pretend to put the fire out. Wear the gas mask for at least one additional hour each time.
    15. Each Monday through Friday afternoon whether you would normally be awake or not, you must study the same instruction manuals for 2 hours that you studied the first week.
    16. Continue the above for 3 months even though you have only 2 months’ worth of food.

45889284_895670170630830_179772358754566144_n.jpg

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Kind of how I felt when I got out of the army and the evening news had a segment on the KH-11 satellite. (which I have no Knowledge of)

-Exactly!! We sat in a secure room in a secure bldg to be told the instructor could not answer any questions from us on the KH series satellites. In less than a month my roomie and I saw on the Discovery Channel, a show that told us more than we considered asking in the classroom.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    "Milsurps!"

83881533_2733809583375475_5054824186929741824_n.jpg

Dang, I was going to post that.

I've started laughing at people that use the expression "military grade".
    Project built to the minimum specification necessary to do the job, built by the lowest bidder.

You mean to tell me that it applies to guns too?

But "milspec" means magical fairy dust in . . . some language . . . Estonian maybe . . . but it's magic.

Funny -- to me -- story about MilSpecs.

In early 90s when I was in an acquisition assignment, "acquisition reform" raised its head for the umpteenth time and we embarked on a new and exciting course. This time it was relieving the contractor of having to follow dozens, hundreds, nay thousands of arcane and unproductive rules set the by the government. Certainly there were plenty of those, and we did have some really good successes at dramatically lowering the cost of some of the GPS acquisitions by not requiring unnecessary stuff. (This did not, however, prevent the government from requiring the contractor to certify that he was not using ozone depleting chemicals in manufacturing products for the government -- even if his product was only software.)

But there's always a fly in the ointment, and this one was a really big horsefly. Someone in the Pentagon acquisition hierarchy decided to dispense with MilSpecs entirely. They didn't throw them away, but none of them could be cited as mandatory, only as guidance for the contractor. In fact, DoD was going to get out of the MilSpec business altogether. The reasoning was if these kind of specs were necessary, let the contractor develop and maintain them.

The commercial airline industry had a cow.

Basically MilSpecs were the commercial aircraft manufacturing industry's specs -- they weren't fairy dust to them. They were commonly and widely used even when the product was never going to be sold the government. I'm sure contractors deviated from them and had a lot of their own, but they provided the basic standard for how to build airplanes. The industry was stunned that the government was going to close its free library and stop maintaining aviation MilSpecs, which meant the industry would have to develop a new organization to do it and develop a way to pay for it and have everyone agree etc etc.

That idea didn't last very long. A lot lesser MilSpecs and outdated MilSpecs did go by the wayside, but in general the MilSpec system was continued by the government.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You guys/gals may get a kick out of this.

The other night the pizza guy shows up and I'm walking around the house wearing t-shirt and shorts while looking like a dork breaking in new boots. The guy sees me and asks what branch/mos. We talked briefly and he was nice, but then tells me all about how he didn't make it through boot camp because he got hurt, is still considered a veteran, and will have a flag on his coffin some day. I'm not really sure, but I think you have to graduate basic/boot/AIT/school or whatever before you're officially "in" and considered a veteran. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash the guy and I appreciate that he went to try outs, but I don't think he was running on all cylinders. My wife never even saw the guy and when I walked in the pizza she was asking me about that guy.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    You guys/gals may get a kick out of this.

The other night the pizza guy shows up and I'm walking around the house wearing t-shirt and shorts while looking like a dork breaking in new boots. The guy sees me and asks what branch/mos. We talked briefly and he was nice, but then tells me all about how he didn't make it through boot camp because he got hurt, is still considered a veteran, and will have a flag on his coffin some day. I'm not really sure, but I think you have to graduate basic/boot/AIT/school or whatever before you're officially "in" and considered a veteran. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash the guy and I appreciate that he went to try outs, but I don't think he was running on all cylinders. My wife never even saw the guy and when I walked in the pizza she was asking me about that guy.

FWIW, I know for a fact there is a man buried in Frankton, IN with one of those government supplied plaques on his grave indicating he is a veteran even though he never made it out of boot camp. It grates on me because my grandfather served in combat and was wounded during WWII, yet is not eligible for one of those plaques because he died before the law was passed.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Quick observation: it's easy to tell BS that happens in the military, from military BS, from just BS.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    KellyinAvon comment made me remember somethings I'd seen on deployment. An E7 with a Little Mermaid blanket over this sleeping bag. His daughter wanted him to have good dreams like it gave her. The pictures kids drew and sent to us, even if we didn't know the kid would be hung up with care. Of course the guys and gals that had pictures of their kids inside their K pots, or next to the humvee ignition switch.

Top Bottom