• cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    CLASS IS SOLD OUT/Full

Full Description

Managing Confrontations is a relatively complex class with a relatively simple goal. We want you to understand the entire situation leading up to the start of a fight. Many places can teach you to fight and we offer other classes on how to use weapons. Very few people teach anything about the time between “everything’s fine” to the start of an attack.

A significant part of Managing Confrontations is the Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC) framework developed by Craig Douglas at Shivworks. This module is included with Craig’s permission because there is no better method to handle the initial interaction with an unknown person. Much other previous work has also been included and references to original contributors will be made during class where appropriate.

We will slowly build our framework by teaching a portion then integrating it in live scenarios. Piece by piece we will increase your ability to deal with stress, observation, and decision-making. Eventually the process of understanding the interaction and pre-fight phase of the fight will become second nature and automatic leaving you free to make decisions on what to do next.

Finally, we’ve added a module covering the basics of the types of combatives likely to be encountered in a fight. There will not be any belts discussed and this won’t be techniques that require years of practice to master. These are the fundamental basics for interacting with another person during a fight. There are no style points, and it will not be pretty. We cover some points on striking to close distance. We cover the standing clinch portion in great detail as most fights are won or lost here. We then cover fundamentals of ground fighting and what you need to know. This information has been around for centuries and the lessons learned here are found in every martial art around the world. We will keep what is needed, remove the fluff and style, and present it in an easy to understand concise way. You will be given opportunities to pressure test the material if you so choose.

I’ve said before if I could only share one piece of the puzzle I’ve learned over my years of training, it would be this material. I honestly use this material every single week, often multiple times. It can be used on everyone from coworkers to panhandlers and muggers to ski-masked murderers. Understand how criminals operate, break their pattern, and stay ahead of the curve.

This class is designed for both men and women. Children 14+ are common students and encouraged to attend. If you have questions about a family member attending, please contact the instructors below. The class will be active, but only lightly physical with the ability to do more or less as you choose.

Topics Covered

• Criminal Assault Indicators
    • Mentality of an Attacker
    • Ways to Maintain Awareness Without Being Paranoid
    • Mobility is Everything
    • Schematic for How Fights Take Place
    • When and How Weapons Come into Play
    • Avoiding the Legal Aftermath
    • Key Points of Striking, Clinching, and Ground Fighting
    • Much, Much More

For more information and to register, go here.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If any of you have HS and/or college-aged kids (especially daughters), this class would be quite good material for them as well.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    And if you DO bring your teenaged kids... Some of the instructors and participants will have potty mouths. (ahem...:D)

If that's not something you condone/encourage as a parent - then perhaps step out of the room or out of earshot when your kid is practicing. Seriously.

What is/isn't tolerated in and around the home, language wise is a whole other ballgame when it comes to determining someone's intent if they're approached. Work this out beforehand with your child.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    And if you DO bring your teenaged kids... Some of the instructors and participants will have potty mouths. (ahem...:D)

If that's not something you condone/encourage as a parent - then perhaps step out of the room or out of earshot when your kid is practicing. Seriously.

What is/isn't tolerated in and around the home, language wise is a whole other ballgame when it comes to determining someone's intent if they're approached. Work this out beforehand with your child.

I'd be shocked if you had a HS student who hadn't heard much worse than might be said in this class.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd be shocked if you had a HS student who hadn't heard much worse than might be said in this class.

It's not about hearing. It's not even about saying.

It's about saying/yelling such things in front of a parent. That COULD be a sticky-wicket in the child/parent dynamic that would potentially prevent 1 or both parties from getting as much out of the training as possible.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It's not about hearing. It's not even about saying.

It's about saying/yelling such things in front of a parent. That COULD be a sticky-wicket in the child/parent dynamic that would potentially prevent 1 or both parties from getting as much out of the training as possible.

Very interesting. Not something I had thought about.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Very interesting. Not something I had thought about.

My wife and I want 3 of our nieces and 1 nephew to take this class...But without their LEO fathers being present to somehow influence their actions and/or learning.

I've been in touch with Josh about that very thing, actually, since he lives close to a normal gathering spot for our family gatherings. We weren't able to get anything coordinated on our end at all so I didn't pursue it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The language thing is an interesting topic. As a teacher I deal with a variety of issues like this all the time. R rating in videos, subject such as slavery, war, holocaust and so forth. This class is a different dynamic than a public high school class.

This class is dealing with real world issues. The real world is not PG-13. Folks need to understand that going in and deal with it and learn and do what needs to be done.

This next statement is not intended to be an attack on anyone specifically or even in general. On second thought I will put it down as a question.

If I or my daughters mother, cannot bear to hear our "angelic" 17 year old daughter drop some F bombs, or she cannot comfortably drop them in front of us in the context of MUC then how in the hell is she capable to venture out on her own in this world? If we the family are struggling with that then she/we do not really have a chance against the predators in this world.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I only have a 2 year old daughter at this point, so can't say I've had kids at that age.

In the class the first time swearing comes into it I try to take time aside and make sure the context of it is explained. I think it's a useful time and place to use as much emphasis in your language as possible. In some circles throwing an F-Bomb means absolutely nothing because it's used so frequently. In other circles it would get everyone to turn their attention to you because it is so out of character. I definitely swear when I speak but try to use it as emphasis when it fits rather than just using it to be sloppy and lazy...I'm not always successful. We've always said that the age limit is based on the language used. I usually throw around about 14 years old with parents present. I'd say most 14 year olds are already using this language, just not in mixed company. That said if the parents decide it's fine we'd accept younger kids.

I personally have a completely different view of swearing and language that wouldn't get much support here probably and won't go into it. Tactically Fat is absolutely right that it's a conversation that needs to be had between parents and kids, but I feel like in the class context it's value added. Good discussion.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    My daughter is 17 and keeps her mouth under control remarkably well, and especially considering the poor example her father has sent for her throughout her life. I treat her as though she were by brother and always have. She has a great filter. She has heard many things and never says them in the wrong places. I have heard her say things that could make a sailor blush. I am not saying my example is right. I might even concede it is not.

However, I can name a list of people who have told me they are not interested in their son or daughter knowing the truth or the facts about the world because they want them to be able be happy and love everyone. That is all fine and well. But people who live their lives in that mindset are not providing their own security. They are either surviving on luck or someone else is doing it for them.

I have taken this class. I want my daughter to take this class. If her schedule allows she will be there. When I send her off to college I want her to be prepared to take care of herself when I am not there to do it. I raised her to be tough and the facts and the truth she will know, and I want her to be able to handle it.

There is some language in class. It is there for a purpose. It is there for a reason. It is real world. I don't see a rapist responding to "leave me alone".
    I have no problem if someone says hey I don't want to be exposed to that language, or to have my kid exposed to it. I respect that decision. I don't like it. I don't think it is practical. I think they will be less prepared for not having the class to some potentially dangerous situations. But lets face it. I am not a liberal. I believe you should make your own decisions. Good Lord willing they will be the right ones.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have a fellow teacher already signed up. Bringing the daughter. Starting to shape up as several females in this round.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Ok
    I probably missed it.
    Where the hell do I sign up.
    Bringing the wife and one daughter.

There is a link in the first post. Or you can head to our site and the link is on the main page. Thanks to everyone. This should be a great class. It really works much better with a mixture of ages, genders, backgrounds, etc.

Top Bottom