• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So the "code" should be rewritten because you don't know what false reporting or informing means?...

Hopefully short story.

My first trial involved a charge of false informing. I was a legal intern for the Porter County Prosecutor's Office at the time.

On Christmas Day 1997, a pet...a large, male, albino skunk was stolen from a garage in South Haven. The theft was reported to police. The Portage police contacted local pet shops in case someone tried to fence the skunk....someone did. The shop owner called the police after someone called stating that they wanted to sell a white skunk. A detective ran over to the store, put on an employee's smock, and pretended to work there. A 17 year old came in with the male albino skunk and tried to sell it- did I mention it had an I.D. number tattooed on its belly? The shop owner looked at it and read the number at which time the detective arrested the 17 year old. When the kid was later interviewed (with permission of a parent), in answer to the question "where did you get the skunk" he answered at various times:

a) I found it walking beside the road;
    b) My cousin had it, and
    c) A guy in a blue Monte Carlo drove up to me and asked if I wanted a skunk.

He went with option "c" at trial. So, there were 2 charges: false informing and receiving stolen property.

The false informing was a slam dunk. In the course of what he knew to be the investigation of the commission of a crime, he told 3 different stories about where he got the skunk. All couldn't be true and probably none were, but all the judge (bench trial) needed to do was find that he gave false information that related to the commission of a crime- in this case a theft and later, receiving stolen property. At least 2 of the 3 stories were false: easy-peasy.

Now, if this kid was just walking down the road carrying the skunk and there was no crime involved, a police officer could ask him where he got the skunk and he could give the exact same answers- no crime even though they all still couldn't be true and 2 had to be a lie because the lies didn't relate to the commission of a crime.

He was convicted (adjudicated delinquent) on both counts....unfortunately, I don't know what the sentence was- I graduated and moved on before sentencing.

I can't tell this story without adding this. During the trial, the defendant chose to testify, so I got to cross examine. After the kid told the story about a guy in a blue Monte Carlo driving up and asking if he wanted a skunk, the real-live prosecutor who was supervising me leaned up and fed me the second best cross-examination question I have ever asked: "What did you think this guy was, the skunk fairy?"

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Okay. Here's how the conversation should go:

"Mail security" (:lmfao:) : Uh, excuse me sir, are you carrying a firearm?

Armed citizen: I don't answer questions.

Mail security: I see it printing. Is that a firearm?

Armed citizen: Am I being detained?

Mail Security: I'm not a cop, I'm just asking if that's a firearm. Firearms aren't allowed on U.S.P.S property.

Armed citizen: I don't answer questions.

Mail Security: Look. It's not legal to carry a firearm in a post offi---cuts off

Armed citizen: Am I being detained?

Mail Security: No, I'm just asking if---cuts off

Armed citizen: Do you have reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime has been committed?

Mail Security: I don't know what that means. I just see what looks like a handgun printing from your shirt. I just wanted to---cuts off again

Armed citizen: What's your name and badge number?

Mail Security: I'm not a cop, I'm a security guard. They pay me ****. I'm just asking because that looks like you have a hand gu---gets cut off again

Armed citizen: I want to speak to your supervisor.

Mail Security: Well, she's out on lunch break, and then she said she has to run to another post office because we're out of stamps to sell. Why do you need to talk to the branch manager? She's not a cop either.

Armed citizen: Am I being detained? Do you suspect me of committing a crime?

Mail Security: Yes, that looks like a gu...cuts off

Armed citizen: Am I free to go?

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice. I am not a shyster lawyer. This is not intended to be a realistic scenario. Security guards in post offices are usually sworn law enforcement agents and are armed and have the authority to make arrests.

BigRed version:

"Mail security" (:lmfao:) : Uh, excuse me sir, are you carrying a firearm?

BigRed.... ignore and walk away.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Insert faceplam here.

I can’t believe I have to cover this, but here goes:

1. You can lie to police all day long. Not illegal.

2. Private security officers are agents of the property - the private property you (the general you) just entered, knowing full well that guns are not allowed on the property.

3. As private security and an agent of the property, they can use any method they deem necessary to maintain the security of said property as long as it is within constitutional law. This includes, but is not limited to: posting notices, conducting interview questions, surveillance, weapons detection systems, and employing explosive detection canines.

4. No, you do not have to answer interview questions, but as an agent of the property, they can ask you to leave the property. If you do not leave the property, law enforcement can be contacted and they can then ask you to leave. If you do not leave, you are subject to misdemeanor arrest for criminal trespass. And yes, law enforcement can interview you and request your ID and run a records check for this interview.

5. Police officers working security at the mall have the same ability to perform security functions as the private security officers, because they are employed by the property in the same fashion. This means that they CAN ask you if you are carrying AND ask you to leave AND arrest you for trespass all within the same minute should you refuse to leave.

6. A police officer working for the local jurisdiction in which the mall lies who is conducting a foot patrol inside the mall or a vehicle patrol in the parking lot and has reasonable suspicion that a person is carrying a firearm can conduct an investigation for the same criminal trespass charge as mentioned above.

So, where does this all take us?

A. Private property is private property. You know the rules, and so do I.

B. Don’t be a douche. Concealed means concealed. You get busted by Paul Blart or the dog, take it like a man, be courteous and exit like an adult, and thank them for doing a good job - especially for $15.00/hour or less. Also - be mad at yourself for getting popped in a NPE and up your NPE game. You made the decision to play the game and you lost. But don’t be mad at the security guy who’s doing his job - and don’t bring any “jUsT dOiNg mY jOb” brownshirt BS - See Point ‘A’ above.

C. As a society, we have allowed this become the norm, rather than standing up for the second amendment and voting constitutional officials into office with veracity and energy. If only we worked as hard to backstop our constitutional principles as hard as we argued about 9mm vs. .45 ACP, pineapple on pizza, or Ford vs. Chevy, this might not be an issue. And don’t rest on your laurels, it’s only going to get worse from here.

Better up that NPE game.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Insert faceplam here.

I can’t believe I have to cover this, but here goes:

1. You can lie to police all day long. Not illegal.

2. Private security officers are agents of the property - the private property you (the general you) just entered, knowing full well that guns are not allowed on the property.

3. As private security and an agent of the property, they can use any method they deem necessary to maintain the security of said property as long as it is within constitutional law. This includes, but is not limited to: posting notices, conducting interview questions, surveillance, weapons detection systems, and employing explosive detection canines.

4. No, you do not have to answer interview questions, but as an agent of the property, they can ask you to leave the property. If you do not leave the property, law enforcement can be contacted and they can then ask you to leave. If you do not leave, you are subject to misdemeanor arrest for criminal trespass. And yes, law enforcement can interview you and request your ID and run a records check for this interview.

5. Police officers working security at the mall have the same ability to perform security functions as the private security officers, because they are employed by the property in the same fashion. This means that they CAN ask you if you are carrying AND ask you to leave AND arrest you for trespass all within the same minute should you refuse to leave.

6. A police officer working for the local jurisdiction in which the mall lies who is conducting a foot patrol inside the mall or a vehicle patrol in the parking lot and has reasonable suspicion that a person is carrying a firearm can conduct an investigation for the same criminal trespass charge as mentioned above.

So, where does this all take us?

A. Private property is private property. You know the rules, and so do I.

B. Don’t be a douche. Concealed means concealed. You get busted by Paul Blart or the dog, take it like a man, be courteous and exit like an adult, and thank them for doing a good job - especially for $15.00/hour or less. Also - be mad at yourself for getting popped in a NPE and up your NPE game. You made the decision to play the game and you lost. But don’t be mad at the security guy who’s doing his job - and don’t bring any “jUsT dOiNg mY jOb” brownshirt BS - See Point ‘A’ above.

C. As a society, we have allowed this become the norm, rather than standing up for the second amendment and voting constitutional officials into office with veracity and energy. If only we worked as hard to backstop our constitutional principles as hard as we argued about 9mm vs. .45 ACP, pineapple on pizza, or Ford vs. Chevy, this might not be an issue. And don’t rest on your laurels, it’s only going to get worse from here.

Better up that NPE game.
    TL;DR

I'm just gonna stick with...

It's state law, I swear to God it is!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I like BR's approach better. Not gonna thank them for doing a good job at guarding a mall against armed citizens, even if the armed citizen needs to up his NPE game. Just gonna turn and laugh as I walk away. If Blart is also a sworn LEO, I'm sure he'll not mind if I just leave the property without answering questions and without subjecting myself to the fishing expedition which is surely coming. :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hopefully short story.

My first trial involved a charge of false informing. I was a legal intern for the Porter County Prosecutor's Office at the time.

On Christmas Day 1997, a pet...a large, male, albino skunk was stolen from a garage in South Haven. The theft was reported to police. The Portage police contacted local pet shops in case someone tried to fence the skunk....someone did. The shop owner called the police after someone called stating that they wanted to sell a white skunk. A detective ran over to the store, put on an employee's smock, and pretended to work there. A 17 year old came in with the male albino skunk and tried to sell it- did I mention it had an I.D. number tattooed on its belly? The shop owner looked at it and read the number at which time the detective arrested the 17 year old. When the kid was later interviewed (with permission of a parent), in answer to the question "where did you get the skunk" he answered at various times:

b) My cousin had it, and

He went with option "c" at trial. So, there were 2 charges: false informing and receiving stolen property.

The false informing was a slam dunk. In the course of what he knew to be the investigation of the commission of a crime, he told 3 different stories about where he got the skunk. All couldn't be true and probably none were, but all the judge (bench trial) needed to do was find that he gave false information that related to the commission of a crime- in this case a theft and later, receiving stolen property. At least 2 of the 3 stories were false: easy-peasy.

Now, if this kid was just walking down the road carrying the skunk and there was no crime involved, a police officer could ask him where he got the skunk and he could give the exact same answers- no crime even though they all still couldn't be true and 2 had to be a lie because the lies didn't relate to the commission of a crime.

He was convicted (adjudicated delinquent) on both counts....unfortunately, I don't know what the sentence was- I graduated and moved on before sentencing.

I can't tell this story without adding this. During the trial, the defendant chose to testify, so I got to cross examine. After the kid told the story about a guy in a blue Monte Carlo driving up and asking if he wanted a skunk, the real-live prosecutor who was supervising me leaned up and fed me the second best cross-examination question I have ever asked: "What did you think this guy was, the skunk fairy?"
    Why were you joking in court about gay skunks as an intern? :):

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Hopefully short story.

b) My cousin had it, and

"so you see son....southern Indiana ain't any more redneck than northern Indiana...they just have more German and Polish surnames up there and talk with a funny accent......"

1713450242159.png

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I see you've not spent much time west of St. Rt 37??

.....I have ventured into Jasper for sausage and brats and am a fan of Jaspa Rap....I remember calling the Suhlheinrich's for the first time and doing my best to pronounce their name right and the mrs started laughing and said, "Honey it's pronounced "Sue Henry" lmao....(true story...John said his buddy's from Jasper give him crap about how he pronounces his name lol...)

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    .....I have ventured into Jasper for sausage and brats and am a fan of Jaspa Rap....I remember calling the Suhlheinrich's for the first time and doing my best to pronounce their name right and the mrs started laughing and said, "Honey it's pronounced "Sue Henry" lmao....(true story...John said his buddy's from Jasper give him crap about how he pronounces his name lol...)

Hey Indiucky-Long time no see!
    Welcome back!

Top Bottom