• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I got the ultimate fix for your 1911. Go to your local gun shop and hand it to the guy at the counter and trade it for a CZ! :moon:
    <<<<(Ducks and runs like hell) Turtle! Turtle!

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I have built several 1911s, all relatively reliable. There are a few things one can do to make it GENERALLY reliable. 1911s are VERY finiky compared to other guns in regards to feeding ammo and what type of ammo.

Want a HP feeding gun? Gotta do some work. SWC only guns require a separate building or tuning.

To make a general 1911 reliable with a general range of ammo, basic polishing (extractor, breachface, feed ramp, barrel hood, hammer track etc..), spring tuning (18.5# recoil spring for general reliability with +P ammo and prevent premature wear), and ensuring the gun is actually fitting together (look for premature lug wear in regards to barrel). Also, slide tight guns are very accurate, but a whole new world of malfunctions can lie in wait with that tuning for first time 1911 shooters. One can have a tight slide and reliability, but requires much more cleaning and very specific ammo to the gun.

All in all, 1911s are great guns, as long as they are used for the purpose in which that specific 1911 is built for. RIA owners seem to think that slapping a bunch of parts on their guns will make it for a particular purpose, not understanding they have a damn fine gun that needs tuning of existing parts, not some fancy one added on.

I'm just not equipped here in my garage to do that kind of serious work. Plus I'm lazy when it comes to firearms. My Glock, XD and XCR's always go bang so I've never been a 'smith' in most regards.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm just not equipped here in my garage to do that kind of serious work. Plus I'm lazy when it comes to firearms. My Glock, XD and XCR's always go bang so I've never been a 'smith' in most regards.

1911's don't need that kind of work. Over working them is what makes them "generally" reliable. The vast majority of factory guns are utterly reliable.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    1911's don't need that kind of work. Over working them is what makes them "generally" reliable. The vast majority of factory guns are utterly reliable.

I'd love to try a 1911, in 9mm one day. I don't even know what manufacturers make them though. I had also thought about CZs, simply b/c of the manual safety and DA/SA on them.

Down here in IU town though, some brands and styles are just not found regularly.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I'd love to try a 1911, in 9mm one day. I don't even know what manufacturers make them though. I had also thought about CZs, simply b/c of the manual safety and DA/SA on them.

Down here in IU town though, some brands and styles are just not found regularly.

Springfield. Go with springfield for a 9mm 1911.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I think it good info to know. Yes, I think the tolerances of a lot of 1911s these days might make them more prone to have a problem. Maybe I am wrong. I am a 1911 guy, own several, and all of them run great now, and 1 was a lemon that needed to be tweaked a little in every direction. I enjoy the platform, and I will continue to use it as my go to gun. I am getting a glock, but the 1911 will still be my go to gun.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY

CZ's manual safety allows for "cocked and locked" they also have a smooth as silk double action pull. Not to mention competition pistol accuracy. Hey I get it the 45 is powerful but accuracy and reliability are everything.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    This was not a Glock vs. 1911 thread. It was supposed to be informative for those who own 1911's.

Sorry I didn't mean to turn this into a 1911 vs Glock thread, I just took exception to post #2 saying Glock. I do appreciate your post and found it informative. Kind of ironic that it turned this way, or that I was a part of it since I did happen to say that I do carry a Glock 26 also (when I don't want to carry my Kimber :D). I actually like both platforms and find that arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympics, no matter if you win your still ........... (never mind I don't want to offend anyone else :D).

Glocks rock (but still not as good as a 1911 :rockwoot:)

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    i havent had any reliability issues with my dan wesson with probably near 1500 rounds through it... :dunno:

i dont know what else i should do to make it reliable

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    i havent had any reliability issues with my dan wesson with probably near 1500 rounds through it... :dunno:

i dont know what else i should do to make it reliable

Same with my Kimber, over 3 years now without issue. And thats with me qualifying with it as my off duty weapon. Qualification includes shooting from 3 yrds to 25 yrds, strong and weak handed, shooting around, under, beneath, and through barricades, movement drills, etc.. Guess mine must be defective :laugh:, no failures even under "combat conditions". Also, I've lost count of how many rounds I've put through it.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Glock is a brand. 1911 is a design. Apples and oranges. Is this where the Glock sales reps hang out?

Jeremiah - Did you see the the gun was loaded with "hand loads"?

yes I did, But from the what I see with glock, or 1911, or ruger, or EEA witness or CZ-75 Kabooms, handloads are generally the culrprit.

lancinator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2009
    Dekalb County NE indiana
    i love the feel of the 1911 when you shoot it. it feels good in the hands. the recoil and it also deafens you with out hearing protection. it has tremendous knock down and it's eveything a man wants in a handgun.

Top Bottom