• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Now that the wife and I have paid the house and mini van off we are starting to look for some land in the boonies. This would be to eventually build an off-grid retirement home on down the road. Near term possibly to put a trailer on to stay in on the weekends. I want something I can get a well drilled on, and mostly if not all wooded. Not a big amount probably no more than 3 acres. I am pretty excited to start looking (we may go on our first drive to look at some parcels this weekend).

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Now that the wife and I have paid the house and mini van off we are starting to look for some land in the boonies. This would be to eventually build an off-grid retirement home on down the road. Near term possibly to put a trailer on to stay in on the weekends. I want something I can get a well drilled on, and mostly if not all wooded. Not a big amount probably no more than 3 acres. I am pretty excited to start looking (we may go on our first drive to look at some parcels this weekend).
    The counties I’m familiar with won’t even allow trailers, even if you promise it’s only during construction of a house, and many require 5 acre minimum to build on.

Wonder how widespread through the state this is? Of course, I’m in the opposite of the boonies now, terrible ugly growth coming right at us :(.

Congratulations and good luck.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The counties I’m familiar with won’t even allow trailers, even if you promise it’s only during construction of a house, and many require 5 acre minimum to build on.

Wonder how widespread through the state this is? Of course, I’m in the opposite of the boonies now, terrible ugly growth coming right at us :(.

Congratulations and good luck.
    And minimum road frontage requirements.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Might read this and see how the info goes with your plans.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What about a project like this?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Should be something you want not far from New Albany. Get recent plat books for the counties you are interested in, real estate agents often mislead customers about HNF access.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County

Varies widely. No rules at all in my county. :cool: (and it's why I'll never leave). If you pick a county with a small population, there are generally no or very few building rules.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    What is this?

When your property joins the HNF it has it's good and bad issues, but mostly good. In addition to my own ground it gives me about 3000 additional acres to walk around on. Real estate people see it as a plus and lots of land joins the HNF so it's important to know if what you are buying really does.

I've disappointed some new neighbors that I caught hunting on my ground, they were told by the real estate agent that my ground was HNF.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Are you committed to Indiana?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Seems really restrictive! Time to get out and vote in some different county leadership!

I think the goal of some small communities is to keep them small numbers, larger tracts of land (think ag not subdivision)

The goal of elected leadership is to represent their community's wishes. Not to grow the population. My community is small, and God willing we will stay that way. I wouldn't dream of voting in different leadership that wouldn't represent the county's wishs.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I wouldn't dream of voting in different leadership that wouldn't...
    You want every poor that can afford a half an acre and a pop up camper to have a spot to trash?

I want less government (and preferably no government) interference in my life. I thoroughly enjoy living in a place where I can do whatever I want on my own land without government interference. There is already far too much federal and state interference, and that's bad enough. I want a county that stays out of my business... (I want a state and federal government that stays out of my business too. No luck on the federal side with the authoritarians in control right now. And only partial luck on the state side. While I am glad to have escaped the loathsome and unbearable regulations of Illinois, Indiana has plenty of room to improve as well!)

Evidently you prefer a county government with more laws and regulations, and which has more restrictions on landowners. Of course that's your right, but I always think less governmental regulation of all kind is better.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm a fan of limited government interface, but No one is a fan of no government interface.

For instance, should your up stream neighbor be allowed to dump toxic waste into his creek? It is his creek after all. Of course not, because that affects you and everyone else down stream, as well as the wildlife.

Should a man be allowed to have sex with his 5 year old? It is HIS kid. Of course not.

im all for if it doesn't affect me, its none of my concern. Regulations like we are talking about are something that affects me In terms of property value, and environment.

Requiring 2 acres and a perminate structure is not asking a lot (pole barns are simple).

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You want every poor that can afford a half an acre and a pop up camper to have a spot to trash?

Not saying everyone would do that, but enough would to have a negative impact.
    I want less government (and preferably no government) interference in my life. I thoroughly enjoy living in a place where I can do whatever I want on my own land without government interference. There is already far too much federal and state interference, and that's bad enough. I want a county that stays out of my business... (I want a state and federal government that stays out of my business too. No luck on the federal side with the authoritarians in control right now. And only partial luck on the state side. While I am glad to have escaped the loathsome and unbearable regulations of Illinois, Indiana has plenty of room to improve as well!)

Evidently you prefer a county government with more laws and regulations, and which has more restrictions on landowners. Of course that's your right, but I always think less governmental regulation of all kind is better.
    Ditcherman is living in reality, xwing, you are wanting utopia.

We all want less government in our lives. It is unrealistic to think there can be NO laws or regulations, people are not built that way. Reminds me of some friends that had and wanted no zoning in their township, changed their mind quickly when several scrapyards were started near them and there was nothing they could do.

Post wuwho flu the demand for rural property to get out of cities is huge, without regulations they literally would be on every half acre, a half acre in the country usually will not support a septic system or much else. That is near subdivision lot size.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Oh I bet we’re on the same ‘less government’ team.

I have no idea what you have or where/how you live so won’t make any judgements, but if you had something remote but the land around it wasn’t yours or locked up then you might want some rules involved to help your neighbors not be able to completely depreciate what you have worked for.
    Does that not seem reasonable to you?

I enjoy hearing people complain about the government and then going off on a rant about how lines on the roads are an intrusion in our lives, and don’t get me started on stop signs. They look at you funny after you make those points.
    Where do you draw the line?

Top Bottom